Menu

Stray cat?

Murphy101

So I guess we didn't shut the garage all the way when we left this morning. Came back to find a half grown tuxedo kitten making herself at home. Let us pick her up. Followed us in the house. Gave my dogs a verbal what for and is now sitting with the kids on the sofa.

No collar. Just a few fleas. I popped an advantage pack on her back for that.

We don't do in and outdoor cats. They have to be in or out. But our outdoor cats when we had them were always collared, flea treated, vax and such.

From my perspective, no collar and with fleas = no owner. Especially in the city.

If you take in stray cats, what's your policy?

I don't know that we will keep her. My grown son is ready to take her to the vet. But I feel our house is at it's pet capacity.

It's very common for cats to have two families - or for so called "backyard cats" to have so many people feeding them that nobody feels obligated to take them to the vet or get them fixed or check up on them if they disappear. So with a friendly cat like this, it could go either way. She might have another family, or she might just be a well-socialized stray.

It was very kind of you to give her a dose of flea meds, I know how pricey those are!

I do take in strays, but only occasionally. More often, I arrange to have them fixed and then either rehome them or expect one of the other cat-friendly families on the block to feed them. We're very lucky in my neighborhood, we have two people who both feed strays and will provide antibiotics free for eye infections or respiratory infections if they know the family in question won't take the animal to the vet, so our backyard animals and most of the strays do pretty well for themselves.

Our current cat is one that came up to my boys when they were leaving a masjid in our neighborhood. No collar, he was a little matted, had some scabs from fighting, and the poor thing had wounds on his foot pads the vet said came from walking on burning hot pavement. I took him to our local shelter and they kept him for two weeks. I told them I was interested in the cat if no one claimed him -- he was very friendly and sweet -- and I posted on the community notice boards online with a picture that I had found a cat.

The shelter said their policy was to wait two weeks. Given his condition, that he had no collar and had not been fixed, they did not think he was currently someone's pet. So we waited two weeks, he got cleaned up and was fixed, then we paid an adoption fee and brought him home.

I felt uncomfortable for a long time that maybe he belonged to someone. He is so sweet and friendly, he is clearly not from the feral cat population that is all over here. But we have so much expat turnover, people will abandon their cats and in fact this summer has been a record with shelters overwhelmed with pets left behind. I wouldn't be surprised if he was turned out or left behind, or maybe he ran away although I find that harder to believe.

Congratulations, Martha. This cat was divinely led to your loving home. What's one more kitty cat?  :)

What would we do? We are suckers for most things on four legs. We'd probably keep it and take care of it, especially if he/she is friendly.

The cat might be  microchipped. It is very common - even my indoor cats are chipped. Take it to a vet to be scanned. If it is chipped, the chip company can notify the owners of where to find their cat. 

Other than that, welcome him/her to the family! 

It sounds like you might be willing to give her a home? Bless you a hundred times over.  :)

I would not feel comfortable keeping her until I verified, as well as I could, that no one was missing her.  I second the recommendation to have her scanned for a microchip.  Check the lost cat ads in your paper, Craigslist, etc., and consider posting a found cat ad and/or signs. (If you do, make sure to leave out some identifying characteristics, so that you can be certain that anyone who contacts you is really the owner.)

I'd do what you did and use a flea product, and then have her vaccinated and checked for ear mites or other problems.  I'd keep her inside and have her spayed after a few weeks.

Good luck!

If she is chipped, we will know if we take her to the vet. It's the first thing they do is scan them.

Our pets are microchipped too and they have a tag that lists the website to go to for info on the pet.

We already have 2 dogs, 2 birds, and 2 cats and numerous fish and outdoor critters.

Idk. I like her. But if someone comes to the door looking for her, I'll send her home to them.

I'll have to talk to dh when he gets home about it. I know he is resolute we can't afford another pet. But ds19 volunteered to pay for whatever she needs. Our 14 year old tuxedo cat has developed breast cancer and this tuxedo kitty just showing up is really pulling heart strings around here bc of knowing we will likely not have our first cat for more than a year or so.ds19 has been paying for old cat's surgeries and so forth and taking very good care of her, so I have no reason to think he won't follow through. Like I said though... We'll see I guess.

In other news.

The kitty has been named Katniss.

Oh I actually felt a little bad using the flea stuff. The only reason I had a spare one is because we bought some years ago for our pets and it burnt one of them's skin something awful. Left a thumb-sized chemical type chemical burn scar on them. :( So I didn't use that brand again but didn't through them away. Felt awful risking it on her, but I don't tolerate fleas or ticks or spiders. I have a default to nuclear weaponry for those three things.

If she has an owner and they don't like it, they should have put a collar on her and kept her inside.

So far her skin looks fine.

Some cats won't tolerate a collar. We used to let one of our cats out. I went through 4 collars in a month before I just gave up. I don't let her outside anymore though.

You could tattoo them too. Usually on the belly where it's easier to see.

ETA: I don't really have a problem with outdoor cats. They serve their purpose. I just don't think people should get bent over an outdoor *unmarked* cat being claimed by someone else. And of course, it's not as though I was trespassing to steal a beloved pet. The kitty walked right in! :)

There's several neighbors here with an indoor outdoor cat and I know them, but I've never seen this one before. We have an appointment for one of cats next week with the vet. If this one still wants to call us home and no ones come knocking or posting signs, then I'll take it to the vet with us then if dh agrees.

We have a tuxedo kitty who showed up on our porch almost two years ago.  She had obviously been though some major trauma.  Was very friendly but freaked out when we tried to bring her in out of the storm.  But she stayed.  We put up flyers and left our information with local shelters and vets and had no takers.  Kept trying to get her inside, especially during the winter when it was SO cold outside, but she seemed to panic at the thought of not being able to get outside.  So we made a blanket cave for her on the front porch and let her be.  Last winter it was a different story.  I think she just trusted us more.  So in she came when there was snow and ice.  She had a blanket on our sofa that was all hers and seemed happy to be there.  Unlike our inside cats, Astrid [dd named her] could come and go as she pleased.  She's still on our front porch and has started leaving us "gifts" [today's was a young rabbit, neatly killed].  We figure she's ours, after all this time.

Why did she choose our porch?  Who knows.....unless word has spread through the feral cat population here that we are Kitty Suckers.

Why did she choose our porch? Who knows.....unless word has spread through the feral cat population here that we are Kitty Suckers.

I'd bet it's the kitty network. Seems every critter finds it's way to our yarn when seeking help. Or food. Or just a sucker.

Last summer I caught one of my kids feeding his fish worm stash to a mole in the back yard right around dusk. *eyeroll*

Likely the same mole that I would sit on my patio with my cup of morning coffee at sun up with two shovels and an axe waiting and ready for the tell tale signs of activity by seeing a new moving mound developing to make my move to kill my paving stone mover and flower bulb destroyer.

After that, catching my son, I decided I was fighting a losing battle and gave up.

Never heard of a tattoo collar! Yeah it was so silly. She always managed to get them off.

I stopped letting her out in large part because of all the strays we have in the neighborhood. Most of the cats are just wild and looking for a fight. She once got part of her ear chewed off. At least it grew back! She hasn't been out in many months and no longer even tries to get out. I really do prefer it this way. It's just when we first got her from the shelter she must have been used to going out so she was constantly running out. She did stick close by though at least.

Our other cat has never been out. So he won't even go near the door if we open it.

I actually dislike collars on outdoor cats. It's really easy for it to get caught on so many things, strangling the cat or making it unable to get away.

But it's the only proof of ownership and shots for most people.

No collar on a cat does not mean no owner.  Ideally, yes, it would be wearing a collar and tag and/or have a microchip, but I have seen more than one warning about the dangers of collars on outdoor cats, and not everyone gets a microchip.  It could be that it's someone's indoor cat who got out of the house somehow.  Or someone's outdoor cat who wandered to a new part of the neighborhood.  Or a newly adopted cat that spooked and got out.  If you are not willing to try to find the owner (found signs, an ad in the paper/on CL, a post on a FB Lost and Found page, etc.), I at least would not confine the cat to your house for a while.  That way it can go home if it wants.  Personally, I would feel awful thinking someone may be missing it.

ETA:  Whoops, I did not see your last post about the collars before I posted this.

Tuxedo cats are the best! Every one I have ever met has been extremely sweet, outgoing, and bright. :001_wub:

So, what's her name? :)

We put signs out for "cat found and my number" and I'm giving it until our vet appointment next week, nearly a week, for someone to come forward. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear. I'll happily give her up to anyone who claims her. I'll put signs up in my neighborhood, but I'm not placing ads and such.

We are calling her Katniss.

So far she is okay. No potty accidents. No scratching or biting. Of course my 7 kids home have worn her out, so that helps reduce behavior issues. Good policy for well behaved kids and animals. Wear. Them. Out. ;)

It's very common for cats to have two families - or for so called "backyard cats" to have so many people feeding them that nobody feels obligated to take them to the vet or get them fixed or check up on them if they disappear. So with a friendly cat like this, it could go either way. She might have another family, or she might just be a well-socialized stray.

We "have" a beautiful gray tabby who's been "with us " about 5 years now. She came and stayed. An then she goes for a while. And then she comes back a little thinner and quite hungry. She's fixed and very loving and we're sure she has at least one other home.

:crying:  I lost my 11yo polydactyl, tuxedo kitty about 6 weeks ago.  He was an indoor cat and hated the outdoors, so if he left on his own four paws, well, I know what that means.  He wasn't eating well, even though the vet couldn't find anything wrong. We looked everywhere online and in person, and never found him.

He used to chase my eyelashes at night and carry paw loads of litter upstairs into my bed.  I miss him.  :sad:

:crying:  I lost my 11yo polydactyl, tuxedo kitty about 6 weeks ago.  He was an indoor cat and hated the outdoors, so if he left on his own four paws, well, I know what that means.  He wasn't eating well, even though the vet couldn't find anything wrong. We looked everywhere online and in person, and never found him.

He used to chase my eyelashes at night and carry paw loads of litter upstairs into my bed.  I miss him.  :sad:

I'm so very sorry for your loss.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

:crying: I lost my 11yo polydactyl, tuxedo kitty about 6 weeks ago. He was an indoor cat and hated the outdoors, so if he left on his own four paws, well, I know what that means. He wasn't eating well, even though the vet couldn't find anything wrong. We looked everywhere online and in person, and never found him.

He used to chase my eyelashes at night and carry paw loads of litter upstairs into my bed. I miss him. :sad:

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I'm so sorry. :(

The cost aside, the difficulty is just catching the animals.  My carport cats run like lightening when they see me.

The advice given to people who do TNR is as follows:

1. Feed the cat regularly so they know where the goods are.

2. Put out a trap, but one that's not set. Start putting the food in there so they are comfortable going in there.

3. Leave the unset trap out, don't put out any food for two days. You want them good and hungry.

4. Set the trap, put some really stinky food inside so they KNOW it's a feeding day, wait patiently. When the trap is set, make sure there's a cat in there instead of a raccoon or possum.

Then you can take the trap and cat to the vet, provided you've already sourced a vet who works with feral animals.

The procedure for cats with kittens may be slightly different, this is for grown cats.

I lost my 11yo polydactyl, tuxedo kitty about 6 weeks ago.  He was an indoor cat and hated the outdoors, so if he left on his own four paws, well, I know what that means.  He wasn't eating well, even though the vet couldn't find anything wrong. We looked everywhere online and in person, and never found him.

That's rough. I'm sorry to hear that.