Menu

If we'd like a different approach to grammar than FLL, what to choose?

Sahamamama

I'm giving Practical Lessons in English Grammar and Composition a go this summer. If I like it, I'll take it into the fall.

I couldn't find a grammar that I liked until I came across this one. I like it because 1) It was free (vintage), 2) seems pretty rigorous but less dry than Harvey's, 3) Is easier to navigate than KISS (although I've got that for back-up), 4) Looks like a nice transition between teacher direction and independent work, 5) Looks like it will tie in very well to our composition work.

We have used FLL and I still could use FLL 4, but the boys are getting pretty tired of doing the review now, and of listening to me do the talking. And I'm kind of tired of the scripted stuff too by now.

Easy Grammar. I think its approach is very logical--learning about prepositional phrases first, because once you cross out all of those in a sentence, it's much easier to figure out subject and predicate and whatnot, especially the whatnot. :-)

We are switching from R&S to ELtL this year. I just got it in the mail and it looks wonderful! I love the poetry and short stories in every lesson, the use of real sentences from literature to study grammar concepts, the copia exercises, the art study, copy work selections, and dictation... All of the things I never get around to. I'm excited to start using it with my kids. If for some reason it doesn't work out we will go back to R&S, but it looks promising.

We are switching from R&S to ELtL this year. I just got it in the mail and it looks wonderful! I love the poetry and short stories in every lesson, the use of real sentences from literature to study grammar concepts, the copia exercises, the art study, copy work selections, and dictation... All of the things I never get around to. I'm excited to start using it with my kids. If for some reason it doesn't work out we will go back to R&S, but it looks promising.

What is ELtL? I haven't heard of this one (if I have, I don't remember it). ;)

Edited: I found it. English Lessons through Literature. Thanks for posting!

What kind of something different do you feel like?  Something more "get it done"?  Or something more integrated with writing or other "language arts" subjects?  Or something more cozy?  Or something more independent?

Sorry, Lynn, I just saw this! Hmmm.... good questions. ;) Well, here's the story.

We did FLL 1 (orally) in Kindergarten. We only did the grammar portions, because we had the rest otherwise covered. It was short and to the point, and a good fit for her at that age. We never did all 40 lessons on nouns, either. :) I used it as a loose guide to teaching the mechanics of English.

We did FLL 2 in 1st Grade. It was mostly oral, with a bit more writing (on my part or her part). Again, we only did the grammar.

We did the first half of FLL 3 in 2nd Grade, grammar only. Here we began diagramming, which she loved. She called them "sentence streets." That was worth doing, I think.

We did the second half of FLL 3 in 3rd Grade, grammar only. I think we both tired of the scripted approach. I think we both tired of the sentences being so predictably diagrammed. I think we both tired of the "should, must, ought" feeling of the lessons (I know, it's grammar). I am certain we both tired of the repetitious recitation of definitions and diagramming instructions.

And, after it's all said and done, hmm... I don't know, I wonder what she retained? Or, perhaps she retained it, but is bored with the sameness of it? Or doesn't see the point of grammar any more? The end of FLL 3 was a good achievement, but somewhat anti-climactic. It felt a bit like checking the box to say that we did it, without learning how to love the language more.

I think that FLL 4 will have its place in our 4th Grade year, I just don't want it to be the only resource we're using. I think it would sour this language-loving kid on grammar forever. In a way, I think it would be better to do no official grammar course for 4th Grade, just to give us both a break. FLL is very much a "get it done" type of program, and so is Rod and Staff (IMO). I suppose grammar might be more prone than other subjects to "get it done," but I wonder if there could be some spark to it.

In looking around for something different, I came across this. I'm still looking at it. ;)

I'm not drawn to MCT. Something about the author's tone rubs me the wrong way. Is it just me, or does it feel condescending? (Probably just me, shrug). The price is steep, IMO. But we could afford it, so if anyone thinks MCT ____________ (insert level) sounds perfect, talk me into it. LOL. And, convince me that MCT isn't haughty. I had that impression years ago when MCT was all the rage here, and it's stuck like a burr ever since.

I hope I don't get blasted too badly by MCT fans.... :leaving:

Last year, for my 3rd and 5th grader who had recently left public school, I reviewed the Easy Grammar, First Language Lessons, Voyages in English, and English Grammar Recitation books - there were good aspects to each of them, but there wasn't anything in Easy Grammar that was unique - I ended up doing a hybrid of FLL/VOE/EGR using VOE as the baseline with FLL to supplement wherever VOE was weak and then requiring the EGR workbook to be completed for review, essentially serving as mini-tests.  This worked well, and we'll likely continue this year, but we'll be adding much more writing/composition.

I did FLL through 3rd grade and am now moving  my 4th grader into MCT.  It is very socratic and especially appealing to kids gifted in LA, although I think all kids could enjoy it.  I have an older doing the upper levels of MCT and she likes it.  We like discussing the grammar, poetry, and literature together.  Plus, MCT has Caesar's English.  Woot woot!  I love Caesar's English and wish it was required in all schools.

Last year, for my 3rd and 5th grader who had recently left public school, I reviewed the Easy Grammar, First Language Lessons, Voyages in English, and English Grammar Recitation books - there were good aspects to each of them, but there wasn't anything in Easy Grammar that was unique - I ended up doing a hybrid of FLL/VOE/EGR using VOE as the baseline with FLL to supplement wherever VOE was weak and then requiring the EGR workbook to be completed for review, essentially serving as mini-tests.  This worked well, and we'll likely continue this year, but we'll be adding much more writing/composition.

Thanks for posting this combination. I did actually order EGR Book 1, and have looked at VOE (a lot). We have FLL 4, of course, and we were planning to do about half of the grammar from it for 4th, then the other half for 5th (so I can put off deciding on VOE or R & S for another year). I think my student would like either MCT or VOE (better than FLL, even if only for the change).

Between the two of them, I honestly like MCT better than VOE. VOE feels too much like school to me. But I like your idea of combining resources, choosing what is strongest in each. What level of VOE would you say would work for a 4th grader who has had several years of steady, gentle grammar?