Menu

air matresses...need one that doesn't die within 6 months

ProudGrandma

at least twice a year, we travel places where our 3 kids each sleep on air mattresses.  We have been buying Coleman brand, but it seems like about every 6 months or so we are replacing one because it has a hole....too small to find and patch.  we are not hard on them..the kids treat them well...

so I was wondering if there is a better brand....or a totally different solution to our sleeping options.  thanks.

Hmmm. . .I was going to suggest the Coleman brand. We have a few of these and they have lasted for several years and still seem to be going strong.  They've been used on floors and on camping trips, so we aren't especially careful with them.  Have you considered a patch kit to just repair the hole, rather than a full replacement?

You could switch to using sleeping pads or eggcrate foam. Bulkier to store but at least they wouldn't develop leaks.

We've had the same problem with air mattresses, but these sleeping pads are AMAZING--very thick, super comfy, self inflate easily.  They also have different sizes.  We use them both for camping and visiting relatives.  The have various thicknesses, with the thicker ones being the most comfortable but also taking a little more room to store.

http://www.rei.com/product/870757/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-sleeping-pad-#tabs

They're pricey, but if you add up replacing Colemans it's not so bad.  I've slept on one on a concrete floor and was totally comfortable.  The only issue would be if you want more height so the person doesn't have to get up off the floor.  REI also has a great exchange policy.

Amy

I like the convenience and comfort of the Aerobeds we've had, but they've always sprung leaks within 2-3 years of infrequent use.  You'd probably get more time out of an Aerobed than a Coleman, but they're expensive so it's maddening to have to replace them.

Amy

I like the convenience and comfort of the Aerobeds we've had, but they've always sprung leaks within 2-3 years of infrequent use.  You'd probably get more time out of an Aerobed than a Coleman, but they're expensive so it's maddening to have to replace them.

Amy

Bummer. Well, if you purchase from Costco, they have a great return policy.

We've had the same problem with air mattresses, but these sleeping pads are AMAZING--very thick, super comfy, self inflate easily.  They also have different sizes.  We use them both for camping and visiting relatives.  The have various thicknesses, with the thicker ones being the most comfortable but also taking a little more room to store.

http://www.rei.com/product/870757/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-sleeping-pad-#tabs

They're pricey, but if you add up replacing Colemans it's not so bad.  I've slept on one on a concrete floor and was totally comfortable.  The only issue would be if you want more height so the person doesn't have to get up off the floor.  REI also has a great exchange policy.

Amy

These or Therm-a-rest mattresses would be my recommendation. They don't look thick, but they are very comfortable and stay much warmer on the ground if you use them for camping (The air in the big, thick mattresses tends to get cool in cold weather). They are fast to inflate and deflate, and they don't require any pump. These mattresses also don't lend themselves to jumping and bouncing on, which will probably increase their life-span when used by children.

I have two aerobed twin air mattresses with built in pumps that I have had for about 5 years. I used them about monthly for the first 3 years. Slept on one nightly for a few months. They are still working just fine. 

My parents had Coleman mattresses that lasted for years. They recently replaced them with newer Coleman mattresses and have had terrible luck.

Aldi just had air mattresses recently. They will take them back if they are faulty. If you can find an Aldi that has slow product turnover, I'd tried those. Just be sure to inflate and use them immediately so that you can exchange them if you find a flaw--I NEVER have trouble returning something at Aldi (and I don't usually have trouble--one of the two times I've taken stuff back, it was because nested plastic bins I bought were broken down inside--someone had apparently dropped an entire pallet of them and hadn't see the breaks!). They sell air mattresses about once per year in late spring or early summer. I think my parents have one, and it works fine.