Menu

Dr. Who?

Sahamamama

My husband and I watched an episode of the Cadfael TV series (on DVD from the library). Afterward, I mentioned to him that the actor who portrayed Hugh Beringar in series one was Sean Pertwee. This followed:

Me: His name is Sean Pertwee. His father was Jon Pertwee, who was the third Dr. Who.

Him: (Pause, expectation of something to follow)... Yes?

Me: Yes, what?

Him: Go on...

Me: With what?

Him: You said that Jon Pertwee was the third doctor who....

Me: Yes, he was the third Dr. Who.

Him: The third doctor who what? Performed open heart surgery? Found a rare disease?

Me: :svengo:

Ok, but in my house I would have been lambasted for saying "he was the third Dr. Who."  It should be, I believe, "he was the third doctor."  The "Who" part is a question.  I live with a MAJOR whovian.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: I was going to correct the OP if no one else did. :D  I'm the major Whovian in this house.

Ok, but in my house I would have been lambasted for saying "he was the third Dr. Who." It should be, I believe, "he was the third doctor." The "Who" part is a question. I live with a MAJOR whovian.

And if we're really going to get really particular, I've seen Whovians stress that Doctor should not be abbreviated as Dr.

And if we're really going to get really particular, I've seen Whovians stress that Doctor should not be abbreviated as Dr.

Oh, my dd has definitely given me lectures on this, as well!

The character is the Doctor. Not Dr. Who or even Doctor Who

The show is Doctor Who, not Dr. Who

Apparently, abbreviation is big no-no. You should have seen the look she gave me when I put Dr. instead of Doctor!  :lol:

My husband and I watched an episode of the Cadfael TV series (on DVD from the library). Afterward, I mentioned to him that the actor who portrayed Hugh Beringar in series one was Sean Pertwee. This followed:

Me: His name is Sean Pertwee. His father was Jon Pertwee, who was the third Dr. Who.

Him: (Pause, expectation of something to follow)... Yes?

Me: Yes, what?

Him: Go on...

Me: With what?

Him: You said that Jon Pertwee was the third doctor who....

Me: Yes, he was the third Dr. Who.

Him: The third doctor who what? Performed open heart surgery? Found a rare disease?

Me: :svengo:

:lol:   that's hilarious!!!

And great discovery too.  I love Jon Pertwee's Dr. Who and enjoyed Cadfael- never made the family connection at the time.

Seriously? You shouldn't have even had to tell your husband. He should have just *known*.

It's funny how the same people and families keep showing up on all the British shows. At first it was cute. Now, I don't know. I might like to see some new faces now and then.

The British probably say the same things about American TV and movies.