Menu

Help with kindy read aloud list

I just started kindy with my daughter and was working out a fiction read aloud list. I have a big list of books, and we'll get to all or most of them eventually. My problem is that I have only vague memories of these books at best and many of them I've never read. I'm trying to put them in order without having to preread every single one up front - which are best for kindy and which are best for some time later, and if some are better for earlier in the year rather than later. Can you help me out?

As an additional question - she reads well above her age. Are there any of these that don't work well as read alouds and would be better for her to read herself?

- Beatrix Potter books (we never got to these in pre-k, are they still worthwhile? She could also read them aloud to me)

- Ramona books

- Freckle Juice

- Gooney Bird Greene

- Charlotte's Web

- Because of Winn-Dixie

- The Littles

- The Mouse and the Motorcycle

- Betsy-Tacy

- Sarah, Plain and Tall

- Little House on the Prairie series

- Peppe the Lamplighter

- Honey, I Love

- The Courage of Sarah Noble

- The Reluctant Dragon

- Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

- Tale of Despereaux

- My Father's Dragon

- Swiss Family Robinson

- The Cabin Faced West

- All-of-a-Kind Family

- Bunnicula

- Mr. Popper's Penguins

- Stuart Little

- The Hundred Dresses

- The Family Under the Bridge

- Akimbo and the Crocodile Man

- Matilda

- Caddie Woodlawn

- Rabbit Hill

- Story of Doctor Doolittle

- The Wheel on the School

- Lassie Come Home

- Misty of Chincoteague

- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

- The Borrowers

- Cricket in Times Square

- Narnia set

- James and the Giant Peach

- The Secret Garden

- Hitty, Her First 100 Years

- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

- Mary Poppins

This is a really long list for one year so I don't think you can get through them all. Also, I'm not familiar with all of these titles. Keeping that in mind I would save the Ramona books, Freckle Juice, The Tale of Despereaux, and Because of Winn Dixie until she is a bit older. Those are books I think she would enjoy reading herself in a couple years. Narnia could be done as a read aloud later too.

She MAY be able to read Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, and The Mouse and the Motorcycle series on her own now. I think she could read My Fathers Dragon on her own too. I really enjoy reading books by EB White though so I would pick Stuart Little or Charlotte's Web for a read aloud.

If I remember correctly Honey I Love and Hundred Dresses are picture books so those would be good now.

I hope that gives you a little direction.

Well, it sounds as though we get our lists from the same lists or similar:)

We have actually worked through the vast majority of these with dd in the last year or so. I actually don't see an issue with them as a read aloud, although there were a couple that were problematic I will talk about. I actually prefer this method with the very young kids, as they will have plenty of time to go back and read them independently. In fact, this is exactly what happened with my kid. Books she would never have picked up on her own, after we read them aloud, she would take them a re-read all or parts of them. Because of the subject matter in some of them, my very sensitive kid did much better discussing them and just having me next to her for some of them. After that she was fine.

I would definitely start with some of the shorter, easier books for younger kids. Especially if you are building up read-aloud length. Books like My Father's Dragon trilogy, Charlotte's Web, The Mouse on the Motorcycle, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Betsy-Tacy. We loved Trumpet of the Swan (not on your list but DO consider it!), The Tale of Despereaux (long discussions of child-abuse as she was very upset as to why Mig would be hit),

I found myself having to have very frank discussions on race and culture with my 4 yr old when reading Dr. Doolittle. I wish I had pushed that one back a bit. A Hundred Dresses is a book (although there are a few illustrations) that can be read...or can be digested. It does carry a string anti-bullying/tolerance message that was great for what my kid was going through, but just so you are prepared.

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH...we started this one and it scared her. We put it away for awhile.

We just finished the Ramona books, and I have to agree that she did not get as much out of them as if she had been closer to the age. The first book in the series we read is Ramona the Pest, which will work fine as Ramona is just starting Kindy...but in a public school. After that, the books get progressively 'older' as Ramona herself matures.

The Reluctant Dragon- can I just say Kenneth Grahame! The language is a fantastic challenge, but this one is much better as a read aloud.

One of dd''s favorite things to do during read alouds--we buy te books and she reads along side of me (usually scanning ahead as she reads much faster than I do!) with a pen. She underlines any words she doesn't know, and we look them up together after we are done reading, even though I will give her a definition as we go. She started this when she wa tiny and can now use a dictionary really well. It also keeps her very interested in new words:). Anyway, The Reluctant Dragon was heavily underlined!

Sarah Plain and Tall- we read the series after the Little House books (we stopped those after The long Winter) an they tie in nicely. Caddie Woodlawn as well. If you are going to do any sort of US history or even just discussion of the founding Fathers, The Cabin Faced West is a nice tie-in.

Anyway, your list is very optimistic for a year, but I assume you will just carry anything left over. I only see 5-6 that we haven't tackled fairly recently, so if you have any specific questions as to reading them with 4 year-olds I am happy to at least tell you he issues WE had:)

We just finished Kindy here with a good reader. We read aloud or we took turns reading a few from your list:

Charlotte's Web

The Mouse and The Motorcycle (also Runaway Ralph)

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Stuart Little

Cricket in Times Square (twice - it was a favorite this year)

Some other favorites:

Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner

The Boxcar Children (first 2 so far)

George and Martha Books - they're a bit easier to read and hilarious

Magic School Bus regular and chapter books

Pippi Longstocking

I've been trying to balance books he "can" read and books that he'd get more out of if we waited. He can read almost anything I put in front of him, but I'm trying to hold off on some of the books I think he'd understand and appreciate more when he's older. Books like Swiss Family Robinson for instance. I remember reading those in 3rd grade or so. 

I just started kindy with my daughter and was working out a fiction read aloud list. I have a big list of books, and we'll get to all or most of them eventually. My problem is that I have only vague memories of these books at best and many of them I've never read. I'm trying to put them in order without having to preread every single one up front - which are best for kindy and which are best for some time later, and if some are better for earlier in the year rather than later. Can you help me out?

As an additional question - she reads well above her age. Are there any of these that don't work well as read alouds and would be better for her to read herself?

- Beatrix Potter books (we never got to these in pre-k, are they still worthwhile? She could also read them aloud to me)

- Ramona books

- Freckle Juice

- Gooney Bird Greene

- Charlotte's Web

- Because of Winn-Dixie

- The Littles

- The Mouse and the Motorcycle

- Betsy-Tacy

- Sarah, Plain and Tall

- Little House on the Prairie series

- Peppe the Lamplighter

- Honey, I Love

- The Courage of Sarah Noble

- The Reluctant Dragon

- Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

- Tale of Despereaux

- My Father's Dragon

- Swiss Family Robinson

- The Cabin Faced West

- All-of-a-Kind Family

- Bunnicula

- Mr. Popper's Penguins

- Stuart Little

- The Hundred Dresses

- The Family Under the Bridge

- Akimbo and the Crocodile Man

- Matilda

- Caddie Woodlawn

- Rabbit Hill

- Story of Doctor Doolittle

- The Wheel on the School

- Lassie Come Home

- Misty of Chincoteague

- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

- The Borrowers

- Cricket in Times Square

- Narnia set

- James and the Giant Peach

- The Secret Garden

- Hitty, Her First 100 Years

- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

- Mary Poppins

I'd hold off on Little House on the Prairie series after Little House on the Prairie (book).  I tried reading On the Banks of Plum Creek to my dd at about 6 and she made me stop it because it was too sad--like when Pa's wheat crop is eaten by grasshoppers.  I think she can do it now at 8.  I've read that Laura wrote the books intending that children would read them as they were closer to the age Laura was in the books.  

I would do mostly picture books at this age.  Check out the K-level read aloud list from Memoria Press . . . it's a great starting point!

In my opinion, the best read alouds for this age from your list would be:

My Father's Dragon  (there are 3 of them, if your child loves them)

Mr. Popper's Penguins.

Most of the rest are better kept until older.

Maybe add Tumtum & Nutmeg.  A "new" classic with an old-fashioned feel.  There are three of these as well, and it would be easy to do one next year and the rest in 1st/2nd grade.

HTH.  :)

We've done many of those on your list. The faves were my fathers's dragon (trilogy), bunnicula, rabbit hill, and charlotte's web. I didn't see Charlie and the chocolate factory. That was a big hit too. We're reading the cabin faced west right now. That is going well. We didn't make it through the borrowers. I think it is our only read aloud reject so far.

(JMHO)  Too many amazing, beautiful picture books for K- some longer reads... to just miss them and jump right to all chapter books!

Another list to consider  : Memoria Press enrichment books lists.

I,myself, just made the supplemental/enrichment list for my 6 and 8 year old and it is full of longer picture books that  they have not enjoyed yet and I do not want their young childhood to slip away without sharing with them! 

The entire Beatrix Potter is a wonderful read aloud for Kindergarten and also the whole collection of Winnie The Pooh. ( I see someone else already mentioned these ideas...)

I'm not discounting picture books. I know the content of most the picture books so I didn't need help putting them in an order for content - we own everything on AO 0 list and most of AO 1 and have read and reread them. Some of the titles on the list are there because I pulled them from TWTM and we hadn't read them yet. There are several more picture books that I intend to buy this year. DD flies through books and wants more, so we've been adding in chapter books. We've read Pippi Longstocking, Alice in Wonderland, everything Magic School Bus, Winnie the Pooh... But my own knowledge of children's classic chapter books is very limited and I need help sorting out the list - trying to balance the books I see on lists at a variety of ages

Kerileanne - thanks for the input! I suspect that anything your daughter found too scary needs to stay on the shelf for a while longer here, too.

Amanda - how did I not put The Boxcar Children on my list? I have a bunch of them sitting on the shelf! I'm glad to know they worked well for you.

Lynn - I've never heard of Tumtum and Nutmeg. Thanks!

Syllieann - I think I was putting most Roald Dahl for later down the line. DD's sense of humor is behind her reading skills ;-) I remember liking Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a kid!

Audio books drive ME crazy, but my daughter might like them. How do people use these? Just put them on in the background while doing other things? Sit and actively listen to them?

I would say most of the bottom 15 or so books on your list will be enjoyed more by your daughter when she is just a bit older -- many of those were ones I read to my daughter in 2nd or 3rd grade.  Many of the themes in those books are just a bit more complex or will be better understood with a bit more historical/cultural background.   My DD enjoyed the first 4 Betsy-Tacy books in K and 1st (some girls might like to wait just a bit on the 3rd and 4th books, as Betsy and her friends are just a bit older in those books).   We read a lot of "series" books in K/1st because that is what my DD wanted to read (boxcar children, anything with fairies).  Trumpet of the Swan was another one we did though in 1st grade.  I think we also did "B is for Betsy" by Carolyn Haywood in K or 1st, and then DD read the sequels on her own in 2nd grade.

We do a lot of audio books in the car (even a 20 minute drive across town is long enough for a chapter or two), and sometimes DD listens to them on an MP3 player while doing chores.  I don't find that just having them on in the background while we are doing stuff around the house works very well, as my boys start to make too much noise after a while.  :-)

I load audiobooks onto an MP3 player for ds. We use audiobooks for winding down before bedtime on days dh and and I watch 24. Ds also sometimes listens to them when my youngers are sleeping and I have chores to do or on day trips in the car.

We load tons of audiobooks on dd4's IPod. She listens to them at night after regular reading time, in the morning if she wakes up before time to actually get up, in the car, etc.

We keep the volume on low so she actually has to be still and listen to hear the story:)