Menu

best phonics program?

faiths13

There isn't a best one, one size fits all. There are many great ones, but not all work for every family. We like Phonics Pathways. For us it's easy to implement, one book covers entire phonics instructions, easy to read for child because if larger font, straight to the point, no fluff, etc.

I use to teach kindergarten and I've used the following programs either while teaching or with my own children:

Sing Spell Read and Write

Phonics Museum

Phonics Pathways

Ordinary Parents Guide

All About Reading

I have favorable thoughts about everyone except Ordinary Parents Guide (similar to 100 Easy Lessons, I believe)... we both cried after every lesson, it was not fun and we both hated it...

I wouldn't used Phonics Museum unless your child is very high functioning... as I don't think it should be called "phonics" museum... because it relies heavily on memorization and doesn't do a great job at true phonics, but it can be a great resource as the readers are very interesting and historical. Sing, Spell, R and W... is nice, but costly and is most like a traditional school program, it is effective and works well. We liked and found Phonics Pathways to be effective, but it didn't seem to have enough or to cover the concepts in as much depth as I think (and my student) needed and I ended up spending a lot of time either repeating lessons (because she wasn't ready to move on) or trying to supplement.

All that to say my favorite is All About Reading... it is the best of everything, highly effective and really nearly fool proof. My 1st and 3rd children are remedial readers (struggle to pick it up at age 5 or 6) and they have flourished since we switched to AAR. Our 1st goes to tutor who specializes in dyslexia and she said it is the best packaged phonics curriculum she has ever seen and is very similar to how she was trained to teach dyslexic or struggling readers... 

My 2nd and 4th children are also loving it, moving right along and making phonics/reading seem easy!

I like Rod & Staff phonics. It is inexpensive, very easy to teach, incremental, thorough, and best of all, it has worked really well for all three of my children....they all get compliments on how well they read when they read aloud in front of other adults. The first couple of units of grade one include paper letter tiles so the child can practice spelling and reading words until their handwriting has caught up to their reading level, and the last couple of units include spelling and dictation.

With my oldest, I felt like we spent so much $$ and overcomplicated things.

With my youngest, I have started following the (FREE) word lists from Don Potter's Blend Phonics.  Then -- for extra practice -- I've added some of the (FREE) worksheets from Sound City Reading.  (I linked the Expanded Short Vowel book, but there are tons more, for more advanced vowel patterns and such.)

I like Rod & Staff phonics. It is inexpensive, very easy to teach, incremental, thorough, and best of all, it has worked really well for all three of my children....they all get compliments on how well they read when they read aloud in front of other adults. The first couple of units of grade one include paper letter tiles so the child can practice spelling and reading words until their handwriting has caught up to their reading level, and the last couple of units include spelling and dictation.

This looks fantastic!  It doesn't look inexpensive though.  It seems like the workbooks for the whole series would add up.  Maybe I'm missing something?  

This looks fantastic!  It doesn't look inexpensive though.  It seems like the workbooks for the whole series would add up.  Maybe I'm missing something?  

The grade one materials cost $43.50 (I never used the flashcards and I don't use the reading workbooks). Comparatively, the first level of LOE is $268. Even if I purchase the R&S handwriting books to make the courses equivalent ($33.85, though the TM is unnecessary), the cost isn't even close. To me, that is inexpensive :001_smile:

I really like the thoroughness of the R&S, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the actual costs if we used the whole program or how to pick and choose from it.  The website shows that grade 1 is $116 with just a few non-consumable items.  Thanks for your input!

We pay $52 for all 8 of the Explode the Code books, plus HP was $50 and can be used for all our kids.  The AAS Basic Phonogram non-consumable flash cards are $13.  I'm really happy with that combo. but checked out R&S  because it's usually so cheap, and we love their spelling.  

I'm a fan of a blended sight/sound approach.

We use, and very much enjoy, PAL Reading (from IEW). We'll add in the sister writing program (PAL Writing) second semester. It's game based, thorough, and the TM is scripted. My son enjoys the worksheets too (pasting, lol).

It IS a lot of prep work before you start, as you have to make all of the file folder games (I know they suggest making them as you go, but it was easier for me to just spend an hour a night, for a couple weeks before starting the program, doing all of them). My husband took the workbook CD to Kinkos to have it printed out, I put it in his own binder. I keep his reading practice pages in another binder. It is VERY open and go.

I also prefer PP's approach to blending words.

I really liked that about PP, too.  

What PP, OPGTTR, Alpha Phonics, and similar programs don't teach are the syllabication rules.  My son's ETC 4 workbook covers: syllable division between double consonants, different consonants, open and closed syllables, syllable division with open syllables, closed syllables, syllables ending in -y and -le, vowel digraph syllables, and syllable division with three-syllable words. Syllabication helps so much to know what sound a phonogram makes, especially in longer words.  

An example of this is "RULE: When -le is at the end of a word, it takes the consonant before it to make the last syllable.  ap-ple ".  So you would know that the a says it short sound in the first syllable because it's an open syllable meaning the syllable ends with a consonant so the vowel is short.  I probably did a terrible job explaining that! Anyway, that is one of the reasons we like ETC so much!

We used SSRW first, then I bought Phonics Pathways and AAS - and used the tiles from AAS to build words and make it a little more fun.

Both SSRW and PP are very solid programs. PP is the least expensive by far. But we have more fun with SSRW - so it's up to you!

You can piece SSRW together on eBay for less than the full kit online if you want to.

• 7 months later...

We use Phonics for Reading and Spelling.  We've really enjoyed it and I easily taught my two boys to read using it.  I'm now using it to teach my daughter who has auditory working memory issues.  We learn the first 26 phonics cards and start reading Biscuit books and the McGuffey primer while we continue learning the rest of the 72 phonics cards.  We also use the cards when learning to write the letters.