Menu

If you have used a pale, slightly buttery white paint on your walls...

StaceyinLA

what did you use for trim color?

Right now, the bulk of our downstairs walls are yellow; not really pale, but not super dark or mustardy. Our kitchen cabinets are barnyard red. I love the color combo, but we have slate tile floors with a lot of blue undertones and I'm seriously thinking of changing up my color scheme in this joint.

SOOOOO, I'm thinking of going with a VERY pale yellow, more like a creamy white, possibly painting the cabinets blue, and maybe even removing some cabinet doors and papering the back walls of the cabinets (something I saw on Pinterest and really loved). My problem is deciding what to do about my trim. I still want to use actual yellow here and there (I just bought new buttery yellow towels and a rug for my bathroom and want to do the creamy color with yellow, blue and splashes of the barnyard red.

Of course I MIGHT just leave my cabinets red, because I do love the red, but I just don't know. I'm thinking utilizing the blue somewhere is just going to tie everything in to my floors more nicely.

Any suggestions? Any pics of areas where you may have used these colors?

I have pale yellow in my kitchen too.  All my trim is white.

Now, my cabinets are oak and my floor is off white vinyl.

So my only colors in the kitchen are the pale yellow and the

white, with oak cabinets and off white vinyl.

I don't know how white trim would look with your happy

color scheme.

I now want new yellow towels!

That Benjamin Moore white semi-gloss - just called white, or is there actually a name for it?

I will look at the creme brûlee.

The red cabinets are in the kitchen, and I may think of leaving those and doing the inside as mentioned, but I was thinking of going with the blue for a change, and because of my floors.

The cabinet in the bathroom is white, but I think I'm going to paint it the blue color I choose, just because it's a plain, boring cabinet and I want a change.

I guess I am just looking at it all thinking I have fought this floor color for years, and nothing I've done has ever really complemented it. I'm trying to maybe work WITH it instead of just totally contrasting it at all times. We had considered putting wood in place of all the ceramic slate (the entire downstairs), but that's not going to happen unless we do a MAJOR renovation, so I'm just going to see if I can't have everything blending together more nicely.

Behr makes a paint color called crème brulee that is a soft yellowy creamy color. Yellow intensifies when it's bouncing from wall to wall.

This is the other thing. We have a LOT of yellow going on. It's in my kitchen/dining area, den (which is open to the kitchen and HAS to be the same color), and hallway. It's okay except that I think my yellow is just a little too yellow. I'd like it to be a much creamier yellow. I was thinking the blue cabinets with the very creamy yellow, then red as accent.

Idk. I really stink at this sort of thing.

This is the other thing. We have a LOT of yellow going on. It's in my kitchen/dining area, den (which is open to the kitchen and HAS to be the same color), and hallway. It's okay except that I think my yellow is just a little too yellow. I'd like it to be a much creamier yellow. I was thinking the blue cabinets with the very creamy yellow, then red as accent.

Oh, I so hear you!!!

I wish someone would just come in and do my house for me, with my input.

#thingsthatwillneverhappen

I really stink at colour choosing, too. Luckily when we bought our house the colours were already in place, and in the 11 years we've been here we haven't changed them or become tired of them. I love the colour of my walls, which is called something like eggnog. It's a creamy yellow colour, and it's in entire main level except for the family room which has blue on the walls. Our kitchen cabinets are wood stained with a cherry/redwood tone. Our trim is white. The flooring is pine coloured hard wood throughout, with tile in the kitchen and bathroom. Our tile isn't grey, but I think that grey would look fine if that what you have in place.

We have a pale buttery color in our house. Benjamin Moore lion yellow or something like that (the exact name escapes me, but it's very pale). We used BM white for the trim. It's a bright white. We have cloud white on ceilings. Our kitchen is Savannah Clay. Other walls are faux finished in top of the lion yellow.

We're trying to decide about cabinet colors now. :)

Gray might not be bad, but I'm just worried that it would really look drab overall because there is SO much gray in the floor. I really want to brighten it up, but still work WITH my floors if possible. Honestly, painting our cabinets won't be that difficult because they are quite plain, and we don't have a ton of them. I am definitely considering removing some of the top doors, so that will eliminate more of the work as well.

my walls are a pale creamy yellow colour.  Well, it depends on the light. Right now (mid day) they look a very, very pale yellow. But they can also look sort of off while.  Our trim is the same colour, just a tad darker..more in the beige family? It's hardly different, but I like it.

I had nothing to do with the paint in this house. It just came this way and I DREAD having to pick new paint. We will prob keep it the same but my sister is pushing hard for us to mix it up and put some colour on the walls. She is fantastic with that, but I am soooo not! My argument is that my house has a fairly open floor plan and different colours in the rooms would be weird. It's kept her quiet for now, but I don't think she is buying it.