Menu

Homework in public high school?

How much homework do you think is normal for public high school? My dd started this week and she is averaging 3+ hour a night. Is this normal? She is not "behind" in anyway. But she is very tired when she comes home. I think that is one of the things that is effecting how long it is taking to complete her homework.

Is 3+ hour normal?

Yes, 2-3 hours per day seems about right for high school. But here are some suggestions for you:

Work Smarter, Not Harder

Buy or borrow the Teaching Company's course, "How to Become a SuperStar Student." Your library might have it, but if not you can purchase it for $50 at this link:

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/CourseDescLong2.aspx?cid=140&pc=By%20Title

If you and your daughter can invest 30 minutes, 2 times per week to sit down and watch these DVDs, then implement the basic teaching, your daughter's study time will gradually become more effective and efficient. Also, make sure your daughter is clear on the assignments. Is she doing more than is necessary to complete the expected work? Can she pace her workload differently -- that is, are some assignments due the next day, while others are due in a month? She can mark the long-term assignments on a planner, and work on those a bit at a time or on weekends.

Schedule an Afterschool Nap, Snack & Drink

When your daughter comes home from school, require her to lie down for at least 30 minutes. This means no television, no computer, no telephone, no friends over, nothing but a quiet room and the comforts of home -- at least until she is rested and her body becomes adjusted to the demands of the high school schedule. Also, get her in the habit of eating a nutritious, protein-rich snack -- peanut butter bar, cheese stick, handful of nuts, protein shake -- and drinking a LOT of water (dehydration is common in schools, and can lead to fatigue).

Eliminate Other Commitments, If Possible

How busy are your weekends? Does your daughter have other, non-school or non-academic commitments, such as a job, sports, church, etc.? What, if anything, can you eliminate or postpone until she has acclimated to high school, and can balance out the school workload with other commitments?

Set Up and Use a Work Space

Does your daughter have her own space in which to work, with a minimum of distractions? Does she have the tools she needs -- notebooks, proper lighting, math tools, dictionary, thesaurus, word processor, etc.? Many students find that if they study in a dedicated "work" space, they are better able to focus.

HTH. Let us know how it goes with your daughter! Good luck!

My oldest dd goes to a college prep charter school. This is the 5th week of school, and I don't think she's ever had more than an hour of homework. I don't think kids should be overloaded with homework, but an hour or less for 9th grade seems too light. But the graduates of this school have been successful at getting into good colleges, so I am trying to trust that the teachers and administrators know what they're doing.

But to answer your question, I think 3+ is normal based on what I've head from other parents. Personally, I think the ideal amount is 2 hours.

Well, my kids aren't to high school yet, but I remember my own days in high school.

For the first week or two of every year, it seems like I was up very late with homework, trying to do each assignment perfectly. I didn't just read the chapters, I highlighted and took notes. Penmanship was perfect. Then reality set in, and I learned what I had to do and what was unnecessary extra.:D

In some ways, that lesson was more applicable to real life than the content of the classes.

My ds spent last year as a freshman in public high school taking honors english, math, science, and history, and although they promised several hours of homework every night, we never saw nearly that much. If ds did all the homework he was supposed to do every night, it would probably amount to 1-2 hours. He's not a stellar student, but he did what he was supposed to do, and it really wasn't as much as they claimed it would be.

3+ hours a night sounds high to me, but the workload can vary teacher to teacher, let alone school to school.

Some nights, ds (10th grade) only has 30 minutes, some 3+ hours. He always has math (honors Alg. 2) homework but sometimes gets a lot done at school. He has had essays for history that have taken him an hour to do but that also includes discussion with me about the topic. If all his classes decide to assign homework on a particular day (not often but it happens), then it gets close to 3-4 hours.

So, yes, I think 2-3 hours is normal especially if they include honors classes. She is tired since she in not into the routine yet. It will get better..........

Well, when I was in high school, it was like this:

English class: Listen to teacher lecture on current author and work. Discuss current work in small groups or in whole-class discussion.

English homework: Read current work. Possibly write essay exploring a theme in the current work.

Math class: Listen to teacher explain concepts and work example problems. Work some sample problems in small groups or as a class.

Math homework: Work problems for current concept and to review past concepts.

History: Listen to teacher lecture on current topic. Discuss with classmates.

History homework: Read textbook to prepare for tomorrow's lecture/discussion. Possibly write essay.

Science class: Listen to teacher explain concepts and methods for the upcoming experiment. Or, perform current experiment.

Science homework: Read textbook to prepare for tomorrow's lecture/experiment. Write up experiment methods and results.

Language class: Listen and speak.

Language homework: Reading and writing.

In my core, academic honors classes, I rarely felt either homework or class time was a waste. Things like health . . . no comment.;)

How much homework do you think is normal for public high school? My dd started this week and she is averaging 3+ hour a night. Is this normal?

Sadly, that's now fairly normal for middle-schoolers as well. Many of our ps neighbors are really loaded down, and not all of them are taking heavy academics. I was shocked to hear from a neighbor that her 11 yo was routinely staying up well past 10 pm (even to 11 pm ) on school nights last year just to get her work done. She's a bright girl and she played rec league soccer too.

Yes, 2-3 hours per day seems about right for high school. But here are some suggestions for you:

Work Smarter, Not Harder

Buy or borrow the Teaching Company's course, "How to Become a SuperStar Student." Your library might have it, but if not you can purchase it for $50 at this link:

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/CourseDescLong2.aspx?cid=140&pc=By%20Title

If you and your daughter can invest 30 minutes, 2 times per week to sit down and watch these DVDs, then implement the basic teaching, your daughter's study time will gradually become more effective and efficient. Also, make sure your daughter is clear on the assignments. Is she doing more than is necessary to complete the expected work? Can she pace her workload differently -- that is, are some assignments due the next day, while others are due in a month? She can mark the long-term assignments on a planner, and work on those a bit at a time or on weekends.

Schedule an Afterschool Nap, Snack & Drink

When your daughter comes home from school, require her to lie down for at least 30 minutes. This means no television, no computer, no telephone, no friends over, nothing but a quiet room and the comforts of home -- at least until she is rested and her body becomes adjusted to the demands of the high school schedule. Also, get her in the habit of eating a nutritious, protein-rich snack -- peanut butter bar, cheese stick, handful of nuts, protein shake -- and drinking a LOT of water (dehydration is common in schools, and can lead to fatigue).

Eliminate Other Commitments, If Possible

How busy are your weekends? Does your daughter have other, non-school or non-academic commitments, such as a job, sports, church, etc.? What, if anything, can you eliminate or postpone until she has acclimated to high school, and can balance out the school workload with other commitments?

Set Up and Use a Work Space

Does your daughter have her own space in which to work, with a minimum of distractions? Does she have the tools she needs -- notebooks, proper lighting, math tools, dictionary, thesaurus, word processor, etc.? Many students find that if they study in a dedicated "work" space, they are better able to focus.

HTH. Let us know how it goes with your daughter! Good luck!

For taking the time to write that out.

My dd is a junior at a private school. Last year she easily had 2-3 hours of homework a night. There were some nights that she had 5+ hours a night. A few weekends she literally spent the whole time doing homework (from 3 pm Friday until 11 pm on Sunday only stopping to sleep, eat and shower). Most nights she would take a short break after school and then work on homework until dinner. After dinner she would work until 11:00 only stopping to take a shower.

She is an A student so I know that she wasn't struggling. The only thing I can see she is doing differently this year is that she isn't quite the perfectionist that she was last year. She is doing well but tends to go through her assignments quicker. So far she seems to have about 2-3 hours a night this year but things haven't kicked into high gear yet. Last night she had homework in every class.

Freshman year she went to public school on block scheduling. Unfortunately the first half of the year she had more core classes and her workload was insane. She had a lot of busy work and often had more than one assignment to do for each class in a given night. Second semester was a little easier.

I wish this wasn't the trend but it seems like it is typical in a lot of schools.

She is also noticing this year as a Junior that she has to be prepared at all times for quizzes. Last year they were often told what to write in their notes and most of the time they were told ahead of time when tests and quizzes were going to be. She already had a pop quiz on notes early this week. Even though she took notes and listened in class she hadn't gone over the notes and studied the way she normally does for tests and she didn't do well on the quiz. I think that she will have to spend some time each day going over her notes and of course this will add to her homework load.

okay, you gals are making me really nervous. ds 14 is in public 9th grade. first time conventional school and we are about a month into the term. he RARELY has any homework because most of the teachers allow time in the 65 minute classes to work on the homework assignment. maybe 15 -20 minutes. this system seems really odd to me. i don't want to see him struggle but come on, he should at least be breaking a sweat sometimes!

okay, you gals are making me really nervous. ds 14 is in public 9th grade. first time conventional school and we are about a month into the term. he RARELY has any homework because most of the teachers allow time in the 65 minute classes to work on the homework assignment. maybe 15 -20 minutes. this system seems really odd to me. i don't want to see him struggle but come on, he should at least be breaking a sweat sometimes!

Our two started school two weeks ago, and it is also our first time in a conventional school (care to swap stories!?). Dd14 rarely has homework. Her Algebra teacher announced on Back-To-School night that she no longer gives homework because for years and years she battled against the fact that most kids wouldn't DO their homework. So, she said, "I'd have 15 kids with no homework and 5 with, and I couldn't reconcile that." Essentially, she said she stopped giving homework in lieu of failing all those kids. Talk about lowest common denominator!! :glare: So far, dd's only homework has been in Spanish.

Now, that said, she is a bright and fast worker. I have NO doubt that she is completing assignments at school that others have to bring home, just because that's the way she operates.

By way of contrast, our youngest (6th grade-11.5 years old/gap year kind of kid) has had 1-3 hours of homework on most nights. Mostly this is from her Language Arts teacher who is good but demanding. Partner that with the fact that dd would rather play checkers (an option) during the time teachers give for doing homework because school burns her out, and she craves "down time". So, she brings all this stuff home, and we slog through it. Sigh. I did learn from another student in the high school, that the work load for middle schoolers, to him, seems higher than for high schoolers. His mother is the principal at the high school, and he has a sister who is in middle school. He says she always has more homework than he does. :confused: Personally, I'd rather it be the other way around!

I did learn from another student in the high school, that the work load for middle schoolers, to him, seems higher than for high schoolers. His mother is the principal at the high school, and he has a sister who is in middle school. He says she always has more homework than he does. :confused: Personally, I'd rather it be the other way around![/quote

Based on what I'm hearing, I think the middle school homework load is pretty light here. We're too early in the school year to tell for sure, but my son says that the teachers told them that they want these two years to be a time when the kids can try new things and not be too stressed about school. The kids are encouraged to take a foreign language, participate in sports, join the band or choir, etc. The teachers also seem to plan to stagger their homework, so when they have a project in English, the social studies teacher won't assign homework, etc.

So far, band seems to be the only class my son is stressed about. (The band program in the middle school and high school is excellent, and my son isn't used to getting actual grades for his playing.)

Her Algebra teacher announced on Back-To-School night that she no longer gives homework because for years and years she battled against the fact that most kids wouldn't DO their homework. So, she said, "I'd have 15 kids with no homework and 5 with, and I couldn't reconcile that." Essentially, she said she stopped giving homework in lieu of failing all those kids. Talk about lowest common denominator!!

Wow, your daughter's teacher actually announced this, to a classroom full of parents, at the beginning of the school year? Oh, now I really have to go read John Taylor Gatto's writings again. The real lessons of school...

Hope it all goes well with you and yours this year, Doran. :grouphug:

Wow, your daughter's teacher actually announced this, to a classroom full of parents, at the beginning of the school year? Oh, now I really have to go read John Taylor Gatto's writings again. The real lessons of school...

Hope it all goes well with you and yours this year, Doran. :grouphug:

And she is an "old school" math teacher. Has been a teacher for 30 years. She said what she said with an air of real resignation. I felt slightly sorry for her, but sorrier for what has happened to the state of public schools.

And, here we are. :001_unsure:

And she is an "old school" math teacher. Has been a teacher for 30 years. She said what she said with an air of real resignation. I felt slightly sorry for her, but sorrier for what has happened to the state of public schools.

Imagine what, in 30 years of teaching, she has seen come and go... the students, the methods, the materials, the principals, the coworkers, the reformers, the "New Math," the "New New Math," ;) -- and perhaps, the parental involvement, the ambition/motivation of students, the work ethic that MIGHT have been somewhat more in place 30 years ago?

Yes, I agree with you, I feel sorry for this teacher, who probably cares more about teaching than most of her students care about studying.

Maybe I'm just slow. :tongue_smilie:

Three hours a night was definitely a possible scenario for me in high school.

Me, too, then (slow, I mean). I usually had about three hours a night, and spent most weekends working on school work, too. But, then, that was what I *wanted* to do -- so I don't know how much work I made for myself. :)

Our two started school two weeks ago, and it is also our first time in a conventional school (care to swap stories!?). Dd14 rarely has homework. Her Algebra teacher announced on Back-To-School night that she no longer gives homework because for years and years she battled against the fact that most kids wouldn't DO their homework. So, she said, "I'd have 15 kids with no homework and 5 with, and I couldn't reconcile that." Essentially, she said she stopped giving homework in lieu of failing all those kids.

It's so true that so many students don't do their homework. When my dd went to the public high school as a freshman most of the kids she knew didn't do their homework or at least not all of it. I remember asking a friend of mine if her dd was struggling with the amount of homework they were doing. She said that her dd rarely had homework. It turns out that she just wasn't doing the homework. In my dd's algebra class the teacher finally promised a pizza party of two people in the class turned their homework in for the entire chapter. (I think that would have been for 1 week or the most 2). Then she changed it to 1 student besides my dd (dd was the only one who consistantly turned in her homework.) They never had the pizza party. I think it's pathetic that in a class of 25 students no one besides my dd could handle doing homework for 1-2 weeks.

late responder here. 2-3 hours is the norm here too. And it was for me when I was in high school. I expect the load for my ds may increase in the next couple of years. He is starting at an IB high schools. Students who completed the IB diploma and come home after a year of college have said their studies at the University level were easier than the ringer our public high school put them through. These kids go to some very competitive schools. I'll just have to watch and see how healthy or unhealthy this becomes for ds.

I have only had one high school experience so far with a child of mine. His homework consisted of reading, writing (essay prep, research), special projects (he made a black and white sit -com episode, fi, in AP American History when they were studying the beginning of the cold war).

I would say some nights he did 2-3 hours of homework, and some nights he didn't. Maybe it was more like 1-2 hours most nights. Class time at his HS was used for presentation of material, discussion, and exploration of ideas; not for writing essays or doing individual research etc.

There is no 'study hall' time at this school.

Tonight my dd had homework in 4 classes and in her other 3 classes she has tests tomorrow. So far tonight she has spent 3 hours doing homework. It is 10:00 and she will easily be up another hour finishing her homework. She even has study hall but will need that time tomorrow to study more for her tests.