Menu

Our air died. It's HOT

Tess in the Burbs

There is something about us and rentals.  We always end up with a new faucet and air/heat units.  

It's 97 with heat index 105 today.  Air died yesterday.  I kept it at 80 overnight with fans running.  We are upstairs, so it's just always hotter in here.  The wall of windows facing south doesn't help.  

And you know no decent repair guy has any openings on the schedule today.  I can't even call management until 9am to tell them.  

I assume if a repair guy comes today I have to sit here and sweat it out until he arrives......  but where else would be cold to go?  

Some places we go when it's too hot out

Library

Children's museum

Walk around the indoor shopping mall

Car ride in the country to admire nature in the a/c

Walk around one of the large chain sporting stores

Movie theater

Grandmas house

Friends house for impromptu play date

Coffee shop - we take board games to play

Planetarium

I am willing to go places, but you know how they give you a window and you have to sit and wait?  There isn't anything really exciting near me lol. 

I can't talk to my management people until 9am.  So yes, once I have my situation out there I plan on going somewhere chilly.  We did the movie yesterday.  But thinking Library, the mall, maybe coffee shop.  

We had cheese and crackers for dinner.  So tonight will most likely be out somewhere cold as well.  

Dh's office is like an icebox...wish I could get access to it lol!  He's on a military base so I can't come enjoy their cold air.  It's broken and stuck at 59.  He freezes all day.  Lucky duck. 

Ugh! That happened to us a few years ago to the u/s unit. Then it happened last year to the d/s unit. It was the night before dd's graduation party. DH and I were cutting up veggies and I got really hot. Being of a certain age which entitles me to my own, private summers, I thought it was just me, but I asked DH if he were hot too. He was. Yep. AC had died. 

A friend told me about this after we'd gotten the AC fixed. Btw, we went all summer w/o its being fixed. The lawn mower, desktop and AC all died w/in weeks of each other. Two copperheads spotted and the lawn mower moved to the top of the list in priorities. It helped that our house is easy to cool, and that the u/s unit worked. Still, we could have made something like this. Her son tweaked the design to make it better, but I don't know what he did. There are several other similar DIYs on YT too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHbQYajfGqM&feature=youtu.be

I feel your  pain.  Our AC died over the weekend.  New part won't be here until tomorrow.  It is 85 degrees in the house.  I am thankful I have 2 powerful fans blowing.  As soon as the tree guy is done cutting down and pruning my trees we are out of here.

Since it's a rental, you shouldn't have to fix it yourself.

Have the repair person call you on your cell when they're 15-20 minutes from your house, then you can leave the comfortable museum or library to return to your furnace of a house - hope it gets repaired soon!!  

I feel for you.

One year when we lived in the SW ours died during monsoon season, between 105-115, muggy and no A/C. Yuck. It happened to be during the week of swim championships, so we were spending all day outside in the heat and coming home to a hot house. Miserable! Nights were the worst.

{{{I hope you're able to get it fixed soon!}}}

Ok I'm at the pool. It's cooler in the shade here lol

I made the air cooler thing with cooler/fan/pipe. It does work but I need better fans. Will go later to return the battery ones. And get dry ice. But if you sit by it, it does blow cooler air

I'm waiting on the hvac guy to call.......to give me a time estimate....

A coworker had the A/C die on their house at the same time a neighbor wanted to buy their house for a generous price.  The buyer was willing to buy it with a not-working A/C.  Note, this was Texas last summer.  But, he didn't want to finalize the sale for a couple of months.  The family spent a LOT of time at Starbucks and the library.  They ended up with a lifetime Starbucks discount card.  

thanks for the video.  I found a simpler version online and am hoping to get out to get parts :-)

Link , please?

Ok I'm at the pool. It's cooler in the shade here lol

I made the air cooler thing with cooler/fan/pipe. It does work but I need better fans. Will go later to return the battery ones. And get dry ice. But if you sit by it, it does blow cooler air

I'm waiting on the hvac guy to call.......to give me a time estimate....

The pool is good!

I made this:  http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/06/27/can-you-really-beat-the-heat-with-a-20-d-i-y-air-conditioner-we-give-it-a-try/#

but don't look at the supplies.  I got styrofoam cooler, fan, dryer vent duct type curved pipe, and ice.  cut holes for vent pipe and fan.  put ice in, turn on fan.  It does work.  if you are near it.  

soon as my son comes home we are going out somewhere....