Menu

Homeschooling and piblic speaking skills

If you are introvert, not much talkative or chatty, or a non-native speaker, what do you homeschooling moms do to help your DC develop adequate communication and public speech skills besides reading aloud to them? Do you assign them presentation projects at home or have them participate in local debate clubs?

If you are introvert, not much talkative or chatty, or a non-native speaker, what do you homeschooling moms do to help your DC develop adequate communication and public speech skills besides reading aloud to them? Do you assign them presentation projects at home or have them participate in local debate clubs?

To be honest, it wasn't something I thought much about. :-)

I'm not convinced that we introverts have to do things like assign presentation projects or thrust the dc into local debate clubs (which didn't exist when my dc were home, anyway) to help our dc develop adequate communication skills, as they still have to communicate with each other and with their parents; I know boatloads of people who went through public schools who don't have public speech skills, even though they probably had to do oral presentations and whatnot when they were in school, so obviously having had to do that stuff in school didn't prepare them for public speaking in general.

To be honest, it wasn't something I thought much about. :-)

I'm not convinced that we introverts have to do things like assign presentation projects or thrust the dc into local debate clubs (which didn't exist when my dc were home, anyway) to help our dc develop adequate communication skills, as they still have to communicate with each other and with their parents; I know boatloads of people who went through public schools who don't have public speech skills, even though they probably had to do oral presentations and whatnot when they were in school, so obviously having had to do that stuff in school didn't prepare them for public speaking in general.

Thanks for your input, Ellie! The public schools I attended in my home country (I have zero experience with American schools.) didn't really help me, either. I just remember what I struggled most with in college and grad school was participating in class debates and articulating my thoughts clearly in front of the other students. The final projects were usually oral presentations and I was terrified every time! I know my kids are still little but I hope I can prepare them better for life and, especially in the U.S., I think communication and public speech skills are very important for success, so I was wondering how other hsing moms work on those.

I think communication and public speech skills are very important for success, so I was wondering how other hsing moms work on those.

For public speech skills, my kids have fun making videos of themselves doing presentations using the laptop's webcam or a tablet. Here toastmaster is free so I'll send them when my kids are older.

Communications is a life skill so hubby and I just advise if our boys are rude or unintentionally tactless.

My older who went to public school had lots of presentation in kindergarten because there is plenty of time in kindergarten for that. For 1st grade onwards, the only presentation they did was the optional annual science project. So public school kids aren't getting much practice in presentation either unless the subject teacher sets aside time for it.

Well, I'm a big believer in teaching public speaking skills in a variety of ways, probably b/c I was terrified of speaking to anyone at all when I was younger.  I'm much better now, but my fear handicapped me even into the college years somewhat.  I didn't want my Dc to be held back in that way.  When they were very young I had them memorize poetry and recite it to lots of different people.  They read some of their reports at family gatherings too and played the piano for relatives.  Those were good beginning experiences.  

Then they joined 4H and they have had lots of opportunities for public speaking.  Formally, they give a public presentation every year at the county level, followed by the state level.  They also have many opportunities to promote their club and 4H by speaking to the public at charity events, the county fair, and other venues where they have been asked to speak.  During his time in 4H Ds has presented 8-10 speeches from 8-20 minutes long.  He would like to talk longer, but if they go over time, they lose points. 

Ds absolutely loves public speaking, but he didn't want to join a debate club, so I taught a public speaking course for 10 weeks.  That gave him the opportunity to prepare and deliver 5 different speeches.  Dd participated as well.  In addition, they have done behind the scenes planning for various events that required calling many different people on the phone to organize and prepare.  

I also look for opportunities that might present themselves.  If we are attending a lecture, my Dc know I expect them to ask questions.  If there are very young children or older people at an event, they know I expect them to make an effort to converse with them.  I sometimes prompt them with ideas for things they can ask the person about, or talk to them about.  

This approach has worked very well for us.

Arcadia, maybe I should consider sending my dc to kindergarten for public speaking opportunities. They may like K for non-academic reasons. I'll look into what our local K offers. I'll also check out Toastmasters. Thanks for your advice!

shanvan, thanks a lot! I got good ideas from your story. :)

Well, although it is routinely smeared on this board ;) my son participates in Classical Conversations for this reason. I'm not a CC junkie or Believer. For me it is a tool...anyhow, I've posted on this before somewhere else...the "why's" of why it works for us right now.  In short, there's a short presentation each week in front of the class.  This has been extremely helpful for my high-functioning ASD son. I honestly think not all children "need" this, at least not at this age, but I can see so many benefits accruing to *my* child right now via this particular program (the structure, the presentation, etc.)

I think you can find many opportunities for public speaking as your children grow--and I don't think it's necessary to do it at a very young age.   I do think it is a good skill to master when they are middle school/teenagers b/c so many people are terrified of public speaking!  I enjoy public speaking but it is only because I had a lot of practice. I wouldn't worry much about it with a 4 yo.

As for communication skills....I think that can happen organically as children are exposed to a variety of people of different age groups, etc. over the years. I wouldn't sweat it too much! 

When the kids were little we joined an Alphy's Road to Reading program where they would get up in front of a group of kids and tell about that book they had read. Then the group morphed into more of a speech group. They learned how to give different types of speeches once a month on various topics, pretty informal. During the last two years my older two have joined a formal speech and debate league. On does speech and debate one does speech only. My twelve year old is joining this year. I have been so encouraged by their progress. I am one who took a 0 or didn't participate due to fear. 

I started a monthly Mythology group. Each month has a really big, wide-reaching topic (like Gods/Goddesses, Heroes, misunderstood characters, etc), and the kids have the responsibility to pick one to present any way they wish. And I do mean ANY way they wish. What I've noticed is that kids who, at the beginning, might make a poster and read it aloud while not actually looking at anyone at the beginning build up to much more involved speeches and detailed presentations, just from the response of others and seeing what other kids do. I think it's a helpful experience to have in a friendly setting.

I'm an introvert who can teach classes and give seminars without trouble-but will do almost anything to avoid social chitchat, and a big part of that is that I had a speech therapist who really pushed me to do practiced public speaking early on and NOT be afraid of doing so. I want DD to have similar experiences, because I do think it's one of the most useful skills I've developed.

I'm an introvert who can teach classes and give seminars without trouble-but will do almost anything to avoid social chitchat, and a big part of that is that I had a speech therapist who really pushed me to do practiced public speaking early on and NOT be afraid of doing so. I want DD to have similar experiences, because I do think it's one of the most useful skills I've developed.

What do you mean by 'practiced public speaking'?

I did public speaking in 4H for a few years.  I hated public speaking in 4th and 5th grade, and basically forced myself to do it to get over my fear.  I still dislike it, but I am  not particularly phobic. 

I hope to have them do some public speaking in a smaller co-op setting.

Right now they are elementary aged, so they mostly just do limited, less formal public speaking in a co-op setting (explain their artwork to their fellow students, for example).  We also have them do things like say a memorized poem for family members.  My 7 yo adores doing this, and recites in front of a group of maybe 8 to 10 adults or so at a family dinner.  Baby steps.

I am LDS and each Sunday the children go to 2 hours of Primary with a singing time and lesson. They have opportunities there to occasionally give short talks in front of the other kids.  I think that's plenty. 

That sounds nice. May I ask what is Primary? Sorry, I'm new to this board. 

Well, although it is routinely smeared on this board ;) my son participates in Classical Conversations for this reason. I'm not a CC junkie or Believer. For me it is a tool...anyhow, I've posted on this before somewhere else...the "why's" of why it works for us right now.  In short, there's a short presentation each week in front of the class.  This has been extremely helpful for my high-functioning ASD son. I honestly think not all children "need" this, at least not at this age, but I can see so many benefits accruing to *my* child right now via this particular program (the structure, the presentation, etc.)

I think you can find many opportunities for public speaking as your children grow--and I don't think it's necessary to do it at a very young age.   I do think it is a good skill to master when they are middle school/teenagers b/c so many people are terrified of public speaking!  I enjoy public speaking but it is only because I had a lot of practice. I wouldn't worry much about it with a 4 yo.

As for communication skills....I think that can happen organically as children are exposed to a variety of people of different age groups, etc. over the years. I wouldn't sweat it too much! 

Oh, I'm just thinking in the long run and about how to work things out if I choose to homeschool. My 4yo is social and wants to talk to everyone he sees, so I'm not worried now. I had no problem making friends, either, but struggled with public speaking in a professional setting, not just in university but also during the business meetings and conferences with a group of audiences, so it is something I'd like to help my children practice in advance while they are growing up like you said. I didn't know where to find those opportunities for them in the U.S. I did have some chances for public speaking such as participating in student council or other extracurricular clubs in public school, but I didn't care too much back then and that is my biggest regret.

Thank you for telling me about CC. My SIL who homeschools her 4 children once recommended CC to me and I looked it up online but it seems very Christian to me so I didn't consider it further. However, what you described actually sounds like wonderful opportunities for my kids. We are a military family who move around a lot so it might not easy to build relationship with certain homeschooling support groups, but I'll keep searching if there's any CC around where we live. :) 

When the kids were little we joined an Alphy's Road to Reading program where they would get up in front of a group of kids and tell about that book they had read. Then the group morphed into more of a speech group. They learned how to give different types of speeches once a month on various topics, pretty informal. During the last two years my older two have joined a formal speech and debate league. On does speech and debate one does speech only. My twelve year old is joining this year. I have been so encouraged by their progress. I am one who took a 0 or didn't participate due to fear. 

I googled "Alphy's Road to Reading" but nothing came up. Is it the right name? If you don't mind, could you provide me with the link to their website? It does sound like a wonderful program and I'm eager to learn more about it (regional availability, ages, fees, etc.). :)

I started a monthly Mythology group. Each month has a really big, wide-reaching topic (like Gods/Goddesses, Heroes, misunderstood characters, etc), and the kids have the responsibility to pick one to present any way they wish. And I do mean ANY way they wish. What I've noticed is that kids who, at the beginning, might make a poster and read it aloud while not actually looking at anyone at the beginning build up to much more involved speeches and detailed presentations, just from the response of others and seeing what other kids do. I think it's a helpful experience to have in a friendly setting.

That is exactly my thought and what I'd like to do for my dc. What you have done with finding your DD's interest and starting a local friends group to present about it sounds like a great idea! Thanks, dmmetler. :)

I did public speaking in 4H for a few years.  I hated public speaking in 4th and 5th grade, and basically forced myself to do it to get over my fear.  I still dislike it, but I am  not particularly phobic. 

I hope to have them do some public speaking in a smaller co-op setting.

Right now they are elementary aged, so they mostly just do limited, less formal public speaking in a co-op setting (explain their artwork to their fellow students, for example).  We also have them do things like say a memorized poem for family members.  My 7 yo adores doing this, and recites in front of a group of maybe 8 to 10 adults or so at a family dinner.  Baby steps.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I like the idea of memorizing poems for family members. 4-H does look like a great program when my dc are teens.

What do you mean by 'practiced public speaking'?

That is, instead of just going through the notes, we actually went through every word I'd planned to say at first, so I was comfortable and avoid things that can be traps for me (I have dyspraxia, and I can truly "block" on a word, be able to visualize it in my mind, understand the concept, but be truly unable to say it, and it can cascade from there. A great deal of my speech therapy in high school and college was how to work around said blocks without them totally shutting me down in social conversation). I'm now to the point that I don't need to practice every word in advance to teach a class or give a seminar, but in high school, a 5 minute in class oral presentation would take me weeks of 1-1 practice to get down. In elementary school, most of my teachers simply didn't make me talk in front of a group, so by secondary, my speech therapist had written into my IEP that I was to do oral presentations/oral components in lessons, but only with at least X weeks notice. I actually was on the Forensics team in high school, in large part to give me those opportunities to practice with prepared text that I didn't write, but also to give me a more supportive audience, which a high school classroom isn't always the case. A half-dozen or so kids preparing to present in prose, poetic, or dramatic interpretation both go through that same process in preparing what they're going to say themselves, but were able to understand just how hard this was and applaud my triumphs (I didn't actually compete until senior year-and burst into tears when I found out I hadn't placed last-which the sponsor didn't understand, but my teammates did).

I'm pretty sure it's because of those experiences that I'm able to talk in a group situation at all.

Honestly, if my child were a non-native speaker, and I wanted them to learn the native language, then I would find them social opportunities to socialize as much as possible. If that did not work, I would go with brick and mortar school. 

Well, that's exactly what I'm trying to do with my dc - talking to them in my native language as much as possible and taking them to various group activities, classes and field trips. But yes, my non-native fluency in English is a valid concern for us to decide on homeschooling. I can't strictly stick to OPOL all the time because my dh does not speak/understand my native language and I teach my ds math and other subjects in English to avoid confusion. We actually have not ruled out the option of b&m schools yet, taking this pre-K year as a hs trial period. If we were not a military family who move from state to state every year and my ds were not advanced in academics, I definitely wouldn't even have considered homeschooling in the first place.