Menu

Soccer!!!!!!!!

Spryte

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chiming in late here, since we were on vacation!  The Germany v Brazil game was just painful to watch.  We were rooting for Germany, of course, but watching them just trounce Brazil was cringeworthy.  Even Indy, who is DIE HARD Germany felt bad for them.  The number of goals was just crazy.   I think a lot of people are disappointed in the games that go to penalty kicks or have low scores, because they are expecting high scoring games, which seem to be the thing at this year's WC.  When we were in EPCOT, there were loads and loads of people in the pavilion watching the US v Germany game.  While I thought it was kind of cool, I also wondered why people would pay so much money to go to WDW, then spend a big chunk of the day watching the WC.  Indy proudly wore his Germany shirt.  Silly boy.

We can't WAIT for Sunday.  Should be a great game!

A ad from my home country's government on anti-gambling that end up hilarious and spoofed by Jim Fallon.

"The 30-second public service announcement features a group of boys talking about the World Cup. They each support a different team. Then the mood quickly turns as one boy says he hopes Germany wins because, "My dad bet all my savings on them."

As we know now, Germany trounced Brazil in an unprecedented 7-1 victory and is headed to the final against Argentina on Sunday. So the point of the public service announcement, as laudatory as it might be, doesn't exactly come across."

Youtube link to original ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g1bs9luXZP4

ETA:

For anyone who don't mind Jim Fallon's humor, the spoof is the first video on below link.

https://sg.sports.yahoo.com/news/singapore-gambling-addiction-ad-gets-lampooned-tonight-show-074000182.html

""Cheer up kid, your dad bet on Germany!" Fallon joked. "He's so rich you don't even need to go to college anymore!"

"Also, how much could be in the kid's savings, he's 8-years-old!" he added before jokingly claiming the amount was $17.25.

The 39-year-old talkshow host then introduced a 'new version of the commercial', which featured an edited ending with a smiling Andy acknowledging his new windfall. The ad's end credits which featured the NCPG tagline 'Kick The Habit. Stop Problem Gambling' was modified to read, 'Keep The Habit. Gamble.'"

What can I say other than…DEUTSCHLAND UEBER ALLES!

When all was said and done, the best team in the tournament won.  Nice!  I'm super happy for Germany, but my happiness is tinged a bit as I really feel for Messi.  Such a phenomenal player, so fun to watch, and from all reports a very nice, humble person.  But Argentina's love-hate relationship with him undoubtedly means he'll be raked over the coals now.

And with that…it's all over.  Say it isn't so!  With the exception of two separate halves, I watched the entirety of the whole thing ~ all 64 games.  Crazy, right?!  I always love the World Cup, but this year more than ever I can say it was a much-needed diversion. Thanks to all who participated in this thread; I've enjoyed it!

We are watching the final in Spain, at a beach town just outside of Barcelona. Messi shirts are all around town:)

And we were in the Netherlands to see the Netherlands vs. Costa Rica.

Nice!  What town are you in?  We were in Spain during the 2012 Euro ~ watched Spain beat Italy at a beach town just outside Barcelona. : )

Now to wait for UEFA to come around. Most of the customers at the BK which we were at supported Deutschland so it was crazy loud when the team score the winning goal.

The uniform worn by the ladies carrying the medals tray looks like Omar Air air stewardess uniforms (beige with red beret).

ETA:

Should be Emirates Air instead of Omar Air.

The uniform worn by the ladies carrying the medals tray looks like Omar Air air stewardess uniforms (beige with red beret).

Too funny ~ I also mentioned they looked like flight attendants.

Now we can pay attention to baseball again.  I only follow sports that other people mock for being boring.  Go Nats!

Haha!  I'm not really into baseball, but I do keep track of it.  I've got the Tour de France still on my radar and then I'll look forward to the NFL pre-season.  But nothing comes close to the World Cup.  Four more years….

I thought they were from Emirates Air or something like that.  Wasn't Emirates Air a big sponsor of the games?  When James Bond came home for R&R from Afghanistan, he flew EA, and the flight attendants outfits looked exactly like those.

Oh, and WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO Deutschland!  What I wouldn't give to be there right now.  I imagine it's insane and everyone will be hurting when they go to work tomorrow.  

Shut the front door!  

Guffaw!  "Shut the front door!"  Is that akin to, "Get out of here!"?  Never heard that phrase but I'm totally co-opting it.  Right up there with Irish soccer analyst Tommy Smith's "They beat the lard out of them." ;-D

Guffaw!  "Shut the front door!"  Is that akin to, "Get out of here!"?  Never heard that phrase but I'm totally co-opting it.  Right up there with Irish soccer analyst Tommy Smith's "They beat the lard out of them." ;-D

You've never heard shut the front door?  Where have you been living, under a rock?  Yes, it means the same as get out of here.  We use is all the time.  Have you ever watched the show Castle?  They use it ALL.THE.TIME.

So my country's anti-gambling ad was wrong and probably plenty of my countrymen bet germany and will be calling in sick due to beer and watching the match at their 4am (GMT +8) :lol:

It was crazy at Burger King though because the crew support Argentina and almost all the customers were rooting for Germany to win.

Boo hoo.

Oh well. Now we can pay attention to baseball again.  I only follow sports that other people mock for being boring.  Go Nats!

I'd be there with you, except the Astros have been flat out awful for the last 2 seasons and they tripled their ticket prices. I just won't pay that much to watch them get walloped, not even for the chance to sing Deep In the Heart of Texas during the seventh inning stretch.

We do have tix to see the Dynamo next Saturday. I'm already practicing my rendition of We Are Orange!

German Chancellor Angela Merkel was at the Finals. Saw her on the TV screen and told hubby.

Link to pretty photo in The Guardian (don't fancy the article)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/13/world-cup-victory-germany-supremacy-every-level

ETA:

More cute photos from The Independent. I'm only looking at the pics not the news portion.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/germany-vs-argentina-world-cup-2014-the-best-memes-and-tweets-including-lukas-podolski-selfie-with-angela-merkel-9603568.html

I was surprised to see Merkel there.

You should see Frau Merkel's reaction when Germany scores. She flew in for the Germany vs Portugal match and stayed on.

From BBC

"She is not known for public displays of emotion - quite the opposite - but when Germany scores, she has a gesture which has become something of a trademark: she jumps to her feet with both her fists clenched in delight, a bit like a little girl overcome with surprise."

Last photo in link

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28265242

Now back to watching Bayern München and Manchester United.

You should see Frau Merkel's reaction when Germany scores. She flew in for the Germany vs Portugal match and stayed on.

From BBC

"She is not known for public displays of emotion - quite the opposite - but when Germany scores, she has a gesture which has become something of a trademark: she jumps to her feet with both her fists clenched in delight, a bit like a little girl overcome with surprise."

Last photo in link

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28265242

Now back to watching Bayern München and Manchester United.

I know!  I've laughed watching her reactions during the games.  

Oh, and WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO Deutschland! What I wouldn't give to be there right now. I imagine it's insane and everyone will be hurting when they go to work tomorrow.

They actually delayed school a few hours this morning (yes it's still in session here) because they knew the kids would all be up ridiculously late celebrating. ..

You've never heard shut the front door?  Where have you been living, under a rock?...Have you ever watched the show Castle?  

Nope, haven't heard it before.  Haven't watched or even heard of "Castle" but I only watch select sports.  Maybe that's akin to living under a rock. ;-)

I was surprised to see Merkel there.

Oh, she's a genuine fan! 

Channeling our energy into MLS now. 

64,207 at tonight's Sounders game (vs. Portland).  Huzzah!

Nope, haven't heard it before.  Haven't watched or even heard of "Castle" but I only watch select sports.  Maybe that's akin to living under a rock. ;-)

64,207 at tonight's Sounders game (vs. Portland).  Huzzah!

Colleen, my friend, I feel like I need to come take you by the hand ins introduce you to all the shows you should be investing your time in watching.  You've never heard of Castle?  Oh, dear.  Clearly you need an intervention.