Menu

What is wrong with me?!?

I am like clueless with what I want for school this year. I have 12 children.11 of them will be in School. The only one I know is my K4. I'm debating on my textbook approach to make it easier and more organized. But then over 1/2 my kids have speech problems and I have 2 dds with dyslexia. So I think make them do textbooks and suck up or tailor it to them. I'm just burned out. I just don't know. They all seem to blend together.

What have you been doing for the last year? What did you like and not like about your approach? You were using TOG, right?

Has something different been recommended to assist with the dyslexia and speech issues?

Are you after curriculum / resource suggestions, or advice on general home schooling approaches?

I did TOG and I loved it. My DH and kids did not. My DH tho he wont say "do this" I think he would like more textbooks. But he always says do what works. It just seems nothings works. Some days I just want to lay in bed and do nothing. Some days I don't even want to homeschool. But I have to other option.

Huh. I have never laid hands on TOG, but it seems like one of the more intense options.

I have way fewer kids, so take this for what it's worth. I would start by nailing down the non-readers. Dancing Bears is open-and-go, works for dyslexics, and could be accomplished with two kids in half an hour a day. You could combine them for Apples and Pears as well.

I tend to be unwilling to let math go, so if I could only teach one thing, I'd do that.

I would be way more willing to let science go to textbooks and history to assigned reading/writing.

I would not bother with K4, but that seems to be the one you're happiest with.

-Buddy an older and younger.

-Make checklists for EVERYONE, so everyone knows what they're supposed to be doing.  On that checklist only put what absolutely must be done, not theories, dreams, or ideas.

-Make working on the reading a priority.  Every day, everyone gets tutored by someone in their reading (you or their buddy).  Every day everyone gets time to read and logs it on their checklist.  

-Use audiobooks daily with each child who isn't reading.  Just put it on the checklist: listen to audiobook 1 hour.  They can do this for quiet time or to cover history.  Kill multiple birds with one stone.  The whole house goes to quiet time for an hour, with some listening to audiobooks and those who can read reading.  You get quiet time, reading gets done, check it off the list.

Textbooks are fine.  Pick one that you can use with a number of the kids, read 1/2 a chapter with them each week, discuss, then have them pick a book from the library on the topic you read about.  Older kids can just use the textbook and be done with it.  Or put the olders into video school or something. 

I think the buddying suggestion sounds great. With a large family and you doing all - or almost all - of the work, there's always going to be a high chance of burnout, so you really need to prioritize managing your time so that each of your dc gets as much of you as they need while doing as much without you as they can. Work on encouraging the older kids to self manage, with you as mentor and facilitator rather than teacher. 

I would probably consider dividing your school year into blocks where you alternate between doing several weeks of focusing mainly just on math and reading, then break for a week and hit history, science or whatever other subjects you want to cover. Or use the 'for a change' week for the older kids to tackle projects while the younger kids unschool.

I would probably consider dividing your school year into blocks where you alternate between doing several weeks of focusing mainly just on math and reading, then break for a week and hit history, science or whatever other subjects you want to cover. Or use the 'for a change' week for the older kids to tackle projects while the younger kids unschool.

Not to disagree too much, but if the dh is saying to go with textbooks, he's saying she's not being consistent.  Unschooling won't help that, and high schoolers should be taught to pick up their list and use it.  If there are LDs, which the op is saying there are, she needs to work every day and be consistent.  If she has any extra SN (spectrum, adhd, whatever), then she further needs consistency to eliminate transitions.  They need a routine, habit, order.  It doesn't have to be a PERFECT routine, but nevertheless there needs to be a routine.  

It took 10 years for my dd to realize that every day we do the same thing and that she should just wake up and do it.  I can't imagine that times 11-12.  That's where your battle starts, and it's normal.  Do something imperfectly.

Btw, if you want textbooks, look at the Walch Powerbasics series.  There's another series like this as well, though I always forget the publisher.  Both are MEANT for dyslexics and have traditional high school content with a lower reading level.  They might be fabulous for you.  The Walch series has books for biology, history, you name it.  Check it out.

Also consider dvd courses.  In our house anything we can quantify and put on a checklist gets done.  Live by the checklist.  It doesn't sound romantic, but it's better than chaos.

The person I knew who was overwhelmed by a large family used CLE to accomplish basic schooling.  I don't know if that would be a good fit for you.  It relies on a lot of independent reading, I think, so would not suit those of your children who have difficulty with reading, but it might be a good way for the others to just get school done.  

L

I'm a big fan of group lessons. I would break them up into manageable chunks. I don't know your age range, but I would combine all of early learners-infant through k-and address them as a unit. Then primary grades. Everyone who is learning to read, doing arithmetic. Then all younger literates. Then all upper grades. 

Combine them further for content subjects. Say, everyone listens to the same history lesson, then breaks off for independent reading, narration , or illustration related to the lesson. 

Tackling four or fewer groups would be much easier than 11separate, individual plans.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  I'm exhausted just thinking about what you are facing.

Do you have anything in place to specifically help the dyslexic kids?  Something designed specifically for dyslexics (Barton, Wilson, Lindamood Bell, etc.)?  Because if the dyslexic students aren't being systematically taught through a system designed to teach them the way they learn best you could be spinning your wheels for years with little improvement, causing even more of a drain on your resources and energy.

And I agree getting systematic structure in place along with buddy teaching might really help.  Have you ever looked at the workboxes system?  Love that system.  We bought our latchable, color coded workboxes at Costco.

Also, is there a homeschooled teen or retired teacher or someone along those lines in your area that you could have come over twice a week to help out?  That might really turn things around if you had a little consistent outside help each week and would be worth every penny, IMHO.

And definitely audio books may really help out. Make sure the kids have something to do physically while they listen, like legos or painting or playdough.  Kids tend to retain better and listen longer if they can occupy their bodies while their mind is "listening".  Same with documentaries.  Have a mini trampoline or something else they can do physically while they watch.

I like strawberrymama's suggestion that you group everyone into subsets so you are not trying to teach 11 different kids 11 different things. 

Good luck!

You have a lot on your plate.  

Have you structured your day for success?

*starting at the same time every day

*allowing enough time for schooling

*pushing all interruptions to after noon (and preferably late afternoon)?--ie having speech therapy after school hours or at the same slot weekly

*utilizing your house slaves (crockpot, rice maker, dishwasher, washing machine, etc.)

*scheduling out time once a week for YOU to rejuvenate (I go out with friends at 9pm one weeknight a week to chat and eat dessert for a few hours)

*getting physical exercise for YOU (& prayer/scripture time--guessing by the names of your children)

Have you figured out how to use group dynamics to your benefit?

*pairing children to read or math drill to each other (not necessarily older/younger)

*using children to grade each other's work or using computer software that self checks

*grouping together by ability for subjects that lend themselves to do that--history, science, literature--and given the age spread of your kids, maybe even math

Have you figured out which kids you need to be sure to spend daily one on one time with?

*the dyslexic ones

*the non-readers

(I give my kids an actual time slot on my schedule so that they are sure to get their daily time)

Have you figured out who you could move to a weekly discussion slot?

*high schoolers (but do daily grading of math!)

Have you leveraged as much technology as you can into your day?

*dvds for certain groups of kids while you work with other ones

*online video lectures for older groups of kids to maintain enough lecture/work hours for course credits

*online courses for things that would be time intensive for you but that your kids need

Most people that I know IRL, once they get past 8 kids or so, either move to self-taught worktexts like CLE or they move to things that work over large age ranges like TOG or they get a bunch of "outside" help---meaning online courses, software that can self-correct, etc. 

It sounds like your dh either wants:

1. more structure to the day

2. visual signs of progress

3. an easier schedule for you because he sees you burning out

If he's up for discussion, I'd ask *why* he thinks textbooks are going to be helpful.  It sounds like you aren't convinced, but I think understanding the reasoning for his suggestion might help you guys move to a compromise.

I group everyone for history, grammar, and science and we use video based lessons.  Everyone watches at the same time, I add commentary and I don't require output (i.e. tests or worksheets) very often.  When we do a worksheet, we usually work together so anyone who has spelling or other trouble gets my help right there on the spot.  For the oldest two, I add additional independent reading that is grade appropriate to go further in depth on some of the topics.  I do have to split the kids up for math, but it is also video based.  Each watches their own lesson and I assist with worksheets as needed. 

I like to be able to use my time with the kids to go deeper into subjects and offer explanations over just getting them the base information, so the videos work well for us. 

As mentioned above, I take full advantage of technology and use some of the Coursera and Teaching Company courses to reach the uppper levels. 

Huh. I have never laid hands on TOG, but it seems like one of the more intense options.

I have way fewer kids, so take this for what it's worth. I would start by nailing down the non-readers. Dancing Bears is open-and-go, works for dyslexics, and could be accomplished with two kids in half an hour a day. You could combine them for Apples and Pears as well.

I tend to be unwilling to let math go, so if I could only teach one thing, I'd do that.

I would be way more willing to let science go to textbooks and history to assigned reading/writing.

I would not bother with K4, but that seems to be the one you're happiest with.

I was going to say all this, but NASDAQ already said it so well. :)

You could aim at three things:

1. Math daily for everyone seven years old (?) and up.

2. Reading daily for everyone five or six years old (?) and up.

3. Chores & Independent School Work for everyone ___ and up (depends on the kid).

I'm going to comment on this even though I have absolutely no experience that would allow me to make an informed comment.  :lol:

Group the kids where ever possible.  Have the older kids work with a younger buddy.  Possibly have the younger kids done in the morning so you can focus on the older kids in the afternoon.  Or the other way around.  Have a 7 year old read to a to 3 year old while the 11 year old listens and helps.  Have everyone do the same history time period and the same science topics.  Make lunch each day a conversation about today's history or science topic.  

If your kids are very independent I could see text books working.  But if you are going to be teach all of the topics individually x 11 school is going to take 50 hours a day. 

One thing that did help me was to write down my goals overall and in each area for each child, then look at how we were going to achieve those goals.  Then select resources to help with those goals.  Then last year I sat down with a calendar and marked every day that I knew would not be available for school stuff (holidays, birthdays, travel, etc.).  Then I looked over the material and plotted out how much we would need to get done each day that was left, starting from the following summer, when I knew we would be taking about 2-3 weeks off for summer camps. VBS, etc.  I then worked my way backwards using stuff from the Donna Young site and wrote down what we would do each month, week, day and when we would have to start our new school year to accomplish those goals.

I built in catch up days and sick days, just in case we got behind, and I also built in review time every Friday.  Then I kept referring back to that guide whenever we got off track, either faster or slower, so I could adjust what we needed to do to reach our goals for the year.

It really did help. I am in the process of doing that again this year.  We are still doing limited school throughout the summer but had a built in 2 week break starting at the beginning of June and will have another 2 week break in August so I can finalize all the lessons, organizational materials, etc. before starting full blown school in late August and the kids can have down time to do some additional activities.

Some days I just want to lay in bed and do nothing. Some days I don't even want to homeschool. But I have to other option.

If this is a regular thing, it's not a problem that will be solved by any magic curriculum.

I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I would look for things that allow you to have one or two groups work independently or watch an educational video and the rotate. Without some schedule and routine, I would imagine it very difficult to handle 11 kids home educating.

What about something like three stations that 3-4 kids rotate through together:

1. Work with mom on something with direct instruction. Say math and reading.

2. Educational video about a science or history topic.

3. Art station or free reading.

Start and wrap up together with read aloud and group chat.

Also work in some PE early AM or midday. For you and them.

If this is a regular thing, it's not a problem that will be solved by any magic curriculum.

Adding, it's not a sin to send them to school and get some help.  Some states have charter schools for dyslexia students, etc.  I'm not one to stop things willy nilly, but school needs to get done.  

I ♡ strawberrymama idea of manageable groups. When I think of group learning they are all over the place. But smaller groups I know it can work. Thanks. I also like the reading for an hour and audio books.

Yes, once you have a plan for each age group, you would have to customize it for each child. But you would have a framework to begin with. 

For example, we use LOF. I will read the elementary series to all of my elementary and preK/K kids together. My oldest can work independently on PreAlgebra. Then the little ones can play with manipulatives while the 8yo does facts practice. All different levels, but all in the same framework. 

We like CM type group activities. When we do nature study, we all go out to the field. Everyone brings a drawing pad (actually, I bring all the pads and hand them out when they find their subject). Everyone draws their picture, older two label theirs, I scribe for the 4yo, baby chooses the appropriate color and scribbles. When we come in, oldest looks up his tree/leaf/flower, finds the proper name, pertinent details and writes notes/outline/papagraph/whatever is appropriate for his skill level. 

Each kid will be working at their own level, those levels will change with each subject, but I think this approach is far more efficient than each kid sitting down with his own stack of books and you running from one to the next spinning plates. 

You could even pair up kids. Older kids who need typing practice can take dictation from youngers who don't write well. 

I think first, you need a break. Have you finished for the year? If not, consider closing up early. Put it aside, give the kids, and yourself a week off. Relax and replenish your spirit. Spend the summer doing fun things. Don't fret over school at all. In August, come back to this thread and see what sounds doable to you. 

You have a lot on your plate. Do to day is exhausting, and you have more blessings-and more responsibility- than most. Take a breath. Let it out. When you are ready, simplify. 

You can do this. It's going to be ok. 

Okay, I've tried to give this some thought, because it seems like you've been floundering for awhile. Here is where I think I'd go.

Everyone needs to read, write, and spell.

Everyone who isn't reading fluently and independently is doing phonics. Choose one good phonics program geared to dyslexics. I would do it six days a week. If you have an older child with the time and temper, that child can quiz a non-reader on the phonics flashcards an additional day. I would not wait until summer is over to start this, because the sooner kids get reading, the easier life is going to be. Kids who are past phonics can use the phonics time for reading

Everyone you're unsure of spelling-wise takes a spelling placement test, and you teach spelling for 20 minutes a day. Teach once starting at the beginning with your non-spellers and if there are kids who are at, say, the third level, they can join in when you get there. I use Apples and Pears, but AAS would work for this too. AAS does not work for my dyslexicish kid and A&P does, so that's my preference. Kids who are past spelling can use this time for free-writing, and by high school kids should be doing intelligent writing every day. Assign writing on history and science topics. Your older ones can read and work through worthy writing guides. I like Writing to the Point.

They need to be doing math. I only use two drill programs, and neither require your input if the child is past six or so -- Two Plus Two is Not Five and Five Plus Five is not Ten. They're reproducible so you only need one copy. I hate to surrender math teaching, but given the situation, it might be best to go with something self-teaching at least for most of them. You can use this time to teach math to the pre-readers. I would start now if anyone is behind.

So that takes the morning, and by noon everyone has read something intelligent, written or practiced spelling, and done math.

For history and science, fine, do textbooks. I am using Cambridge science textbooks that don't require tons for me, but we are secular in this area. I would not push YE science because you don't need it for college, but that may be a faith thing for you. I have my oldest just reading history and eventually writing about it, but if you have a textbook series you like for this, DO IT. If you can get each of these done once or twice a week, good. Your middle schoolers can also do Hake Grammar or Easy Grammar, but formal grammar would not be my priority. Anyone who isn't reading/writing well enough to work independently can play outside, listen to audiobooks, w/e. You can use this time to mark, plan, and read the writing the older kids are producing.

When you say speech therapy 2x a week, does that mean half the children have two appointments a week -- so 10-12 hours of speech therapy a week? Because if so, wow. That's two entire days of your time.