Menu

S/O sunburn thread........Sunscreen in schools

Tammi K

In other news......

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/06/texas-mom-red-faced-over-school-sunscreen-ban/

I thought I remembered something like this as I was reading Aimee's post. Apparently there are school that actually are prohibited from using sunscreen.  I remember in Australia that there were huge pump bottles right by my kid's classroom doors. They were all encouraged to use it before they went outside. Even then, 'No hat, No play".  It was not too long after we moved back to the USA that I recall hearing a story about a kid who got burnt because the school refused to allow her to use sunscreen.

Apparently, schools haven't gotten any smarter since then because it just happened again.

Is there no common sense left?

Is there no common sense left?

No, because schools have to be afraid to be sued. This litigious society is messed up on so many levels. Parents might sue if kid has allergic reaction to sunscreen, if kid burns, if teachers (gasp) touches kid to apply sunscreen... can't win. Some are cutting out recess altogether out of fear. Too many frivolous law suits= stupid rules.

Although this makes so little sense to me.  Around here they have gallon jugs of antibacterial crap.  They use this instead of allowing kids to wash their hands with soup and water.  I've seen it myself in action (teacher brings kids to the local park, afterwards they line up for their antibacterial crap). 

How is this so different?

I suppose the antibacterial stuff doesn't require assistance.

Yet that stuff is mainly alcohol...definitely not good for children. Why, they might try to eat or drink it.

Foolishness all round.

(I say slather then with sunscreen and let them wash their hands with plain old soap and warm water.)

I've seen it myself in action (teacher brings kids to the local park, afterwards they line up for their antibacterial crap).

The child can opt out of the antibacterial stuff. My boy opts out, can't stand the texture or smell.

For sunscreen use, the school is not allowed to apply for the child but students can bring their own and apply before PE. Most PE classes are before 10am though so it is not as bad.

For camps, I remember having to mark a checkbox if it is ok for camp staff to apply sunscreen on my child. My kids prefer to apply their own sunscreen so I don't check that box.

Due to ds's allergies, I wouldn't want a school letting him apply sunscreen that I hadn't provided for him. I've seen all sorts of products that you wouldn't think of as containing allergens (shampoo, soap, ....)

Due to ds's allergies, I wouldn't want a school letting him apply sunscreen that I hadn't provided for him. I've seen all sorts of products that you wouldn't think of as containing allergens (shampoo, soap, ....)

Well, absolutely.  A no food sharing and no sunscreen sharing policy is very reasonable.  A no food or no sunscreen policy is not.  We can't control for every risk.  And the more we try, the more we end up with policies that are just plain stupid, that cause at least as much harm as they prevent.

Why would a doctor's note be required for an OTC product, even if they do consider it a drug? I had to send pain reliever to school for DD after a dental procedure, and even that didn't require a doctor's note--just a signed permission form from a parent.

Although this makes so little sense to me.  Around here they have gallon jugs of antibacterial crap.  They use this instead of allowing kids to wash their hands with soup and water.  I've seen it myself in action (teacher brings kids to the local park, afterwards they line up for their antibacterial crap). 

How is this so different?

I suppose the antibacterial stuff doesn't require assistance.

Well, I suppose hand sanitizer might be better than soup and water. Or maybe different types of soup work better than others? :)

Well..actually I think using too many of these anti bacterial things doesn't let people build up immunity. I just don't believe they are necessary in most settings.

Growing up we never had any of that crap.

I think you missed the typo. ;)

My children are very tasty to insects, and invariably they return to their (private, coop, homeschool) in August with lots of itchy bites. I am thankful that when I told the principal that I wanted my 7 yo to carry the cream in her bag and to help administer it to the 4 yo sister when needed, they were okay with the idea. I think I wrote down my wishes on paper. How much easier is that than having to find some adult in charge everytime you itch?

When I taught at the Lutheran school, we didn't have this nonsense. We kept a file of who was allergic to what, and had a lock drawer in our desk that held gallon size baggies very largely and clearly labeled with the meds for each child or the OTC's and that included sunscreen and what not. We teachers supervised recess so we would put on lightweight backpacks, grab all the bags that had epi-pens, inhalers, and sunscreen, and head out with supplies. We never had a child separated from life saving meds, and we didn't have mix ups. We were careful and organized, period.

It took common sense. But as IMP says, common sense is not common and is in this day and age, "A super power!" Sigh....

In other news......

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/06/texas-mom-red-faced-over-school-sunscreen-ban/

Apparently there are school that actually are prohibited from using sunscreen. 

our public schools do not allow sunscreen to be brought to school. You have to apply it before they leave. If you want it applied more frequently a parent would have to go to the school and reapply.  

Why would a doctor's note be required for an OTC product, even if they do consider it a drug? I had to send pain reliever to school for DD after a dental procedure, and even that didn't require a doctor's note--just a signed permission form from a parent.

Our public schools require a note for any medication. There were many times that I had to go to school to give Tylenol because it was something needed, but silly to get a Dr to fill out paperwork for.

The private school we are now at you fill out a form giving permission for different things (Tylenol, tums, I don't remember what else). If the student goes to the nurse I get an email telling me what was administered and when.

Call me skeptical, but I can't help wonder it this was a problem because the kid wasn't allowed to reapply or if the kid went to school toting the bottle but not actually wearing any in the first place.

I don't agree with the policy, but as long as the parents KNOW about the policy there are ways around it. I do the Dr's note so my kid can take Tylenol at school. I fill in about four blanks on the form and the doctor signs it once a year. Problem solved with a little planning and me writing 5-6 words on a form.

I'm not surprised it's come to this. What else can the schools do if they're getting sued for every little thing? Eventually EVERYTHING comes with a CYA paper trail. Imagine that little Janie brings in sunscreen and little Johny has an allergic reaction to it. Then Johny's parents are suing. My son goes to a camp that disallows any aerosol sunscreens because they're bad for kids with respiratory issues. I never would have thought about it if they didn't specifically tell me not to send that type of sunscreen.

I think it's important to remember that school administrators don't make these policies because they're stupid, or have no common sense, or enjoy making random rules. Every policy has a story (or several) that forced them into this position.