Menu

Tween and Teen Boy Friendly Co-op Class?

It looks like we are doing classes for our co-op next year and we have a real hole in this area. Does anyone have any ideas for me that won't be too hard to pull off. I'd really prefer to have a book or something to go off of if I can find it. I am considering something like CSI Science as I thought that would appeal to both boys and girls but I'm not sure, my own boy is only not quite 10 so I don't know what goes over well for this age, except Minecraft. My own likes building and such but I don't know if others would or not. Classes are fun and enrichment fwiw.

We did the Disney Science of imagineering, and it seemed to be a good one for both boys and girls. It's a middle school video series, and then we added a hands-on component, which could be ramped to whatever level was appropriate for the kids.

Thanks, our library has that series and we've watched some at home. I'm not sure if I want to do anything with a video component as I'm not sure how easy it will be for video access. Right now I'm looking at Prufrock Press's Hands-On Engineering, they have so many cool looking books.

I did Fallacy Detective last semester at our co-op and it attracted more guys than I thought it might.  Our co-op has offered things like Crossfit, Logic and Debate, Board Games or Card Games, Bible Studies targeted at boys that age, Legos (with a plan and lesson...not just letting them build whatever), Physics of Catapulting, Eragon or Lord of the Rings Book Study, Financial Peace (or something similar), Mythbusters, and Sports History.  All of these seemed to go over really well with guys that age.  HTH!

I teach LEGO Education Simple and Motorized Machines to 10-13 year olds at our co-op.  It is a very popular class.

Our co-op also features a Boys-only book club every year.  They read and discuss books that would be of interest to tween/teen boys.  They usually have a snack that ties into the book during the second week of discussion.  

I found Eveyday Engineering from eie.org this week and I am very impressed.  The Teacher's manias are free downloads and are very complete even to the point of being scripted.

Here is what I'm looking at doing.

Hands on Engineering- Gr. 4-8th
Students will design and build their own boats, skyscrapers, wheelbarrows, hammocks, and more learning about designing, engineering and teamwork during the process. Text- Hands-On Engineering

One Hour Detective Club- Age 10+
Students will become crime scene investigators, analyzing clues found at a crime scenes and solving crimes. Students will be using logic, reasoning, and reading comprehension skills working together with their classmates to unlock the questions to a different mystery each week. They will learn to solve puzzles, decode messages and become masters of logical thinking. Text- One Hour Mystery, The Great Chocolate Caper

Farrar I was looking at a Hands- On Archaeology but then I thought Hands- On Engineering. 

A super easy class to pull together is The Presidential Fitness Award.   We did it recently and each week the teacher recorded their progress as the kids.completed the.activities.  The Kids had  a lot of fun and it was fast, easy, and inexpensive.

The best middle school class I ever taught was archaeology.  So I highly recommend that.  Lots of hands on activities and you can do research projects and so forth.

My brain read this as "archery".  I thought, well, duh!!  Of course an archery class would be full of hands on activities!!

I like the idea of the Presidential Fitness award, I've got to put that on my list, maybe I can get someone else to do that for the group. The book club idea is great, although from what the other moms say the other boys might not be too fond of that as it seems ds is an anomaly in how much he likes to read. I hope I can get some more people to step up to offer more as I think I'm at the max I can do. I like some of the other options listed as well but I need open and go and cheap this year so the Prufrock Press books seem like a nice bet. I looked at the EiE and the Mythbusters also, I'm putting them on my list for later. I need to see if I can get those through the library and check out that the free EiE units, there is some awesome stuff out there.

A super easy class to pull together is The Presidential Fitness Award.   We did it recently and each week the teacher recorded their progress as the kids.completed the.activities.  The Kids had  a lot of fun and it was fast, easy, and inexpensive.

Do you just do this on your own? Or do you have to formally register your homeschool/student? I'm thinking to include this for ds PE credit. It would be over the summer and seems like you do it for 8 weeks? I couldn't find a direct link to register an individual student?

Anyone else do this and track it someway? Or do you just purchase things on your own.

Do you just do this on your own? Or do you have to formally register your homeschool/student? I'm thinking to include this for ds PE credit. It would be over the summer and seems like you do it for 8 weeks? I couldn't find a direct link to register an individual student?

Anyone else do this and track it someway? Or do you just purchase things on your own.

There is a website.  The President Fitness challenge.  They list the requirements and how to qualify.  Homeschooled kids are included.  If the kids co their progress and get better over time they get the award.  It is the Presidential Fitness Award patch, a signed certificate and if taught in a class there are medals for those that progressed the most.  I really liked it because it doesn't just award the most naturally athletic, but those that actually work the program.   Zay's co-op teacher also taught about nutrition and making wise choices and moderation.   It was a neat class, but I believe that it can be used at home as well.  

I used the one hour mysteries as part of a Dynamic Detectives class for that age. The more academic boys liked it but for some of them (sad to say) it involved too much thinking work. Maybe the kids in your co op are better, but we have a lot of lazy boys.

I have been teaching for about 8 years now in our co op - and I teach that age and mainly boys take my classes. The two classes I repeat every alternate year are 

1. Wonderful World of Trade

In the first semester I use 3 books from the NEEC but the main one is Wide World of Trade. It has lesson plans for about 12 lessons and that covers most of the semester. I add to that 2 lessons on the Stock Market Game and the students play that as well (the communicate via email during the week). In the second semester I turn the class into a Mini Economy (based on the NEEC book by that name or something similar) and the students all get jobs etc. Each week I introduce a new concept eg taxes and we talk briefly about it, but mainly they learn by playing. They have bank accounts, can spend money at the stores, pay taxes, attend auctions and lots more. Very simple to implement and most kids say it is their favorite class ever (they elect a mayor too). I plan to put this together as a package for others to use but it is only 1 semester and the other materials I mentioned work great for the first semester as they are very hands on too and a great way to teach economics.

2. Playing Around the World

This one is geography through games. If you have a lot of geography board games then this is doable. I have bought more over the years but I had a lot to start with. I also made up Geography Taboo, Pictionary, 20 questions etc. Each lesson started off with 10 minutes of teaching and so I did manage to cover the whole world in a "thin" way and then the students played games related to the continent / country we had just studied.

A few years ago I also used the books in the Building Math series. They are really hands on science and the boys loved it (only 2 girls signed up though). I didn't enjoy teaching it much as science isn't my thing but it was a big hit. There are 3 books in the series and the first focuses on Everest and the students have to make an elevator thing to get a wounded climber down. The other 2 are similar.

My classes are always filled with lots of boys and most keep coming back for more classes of mine so I have figured out what works for them. Basically - don't expect them to sit still too long. Or be too academic. Let them move around and make noise and do stuff and they are happy.

I used the one hour mysteries as part of a Dynamic Detectives class for that age. The more academic boys liked it but for some of them (sad to say) it involved too much thinking work. Maybe the kids in your co op are better, but we have a lot of lazy boys.

I have been teaching for about 8 years now in our co op - and I teach that age and mainly boys take my classes. The two classes I repeat every alternate year are 

1. Wonderful World of Trade

In the first semester I use 3 books from the NEEC but the main one is Wide World of Trade. It has lesson plans for about 12 lessons and that covers most of the semester. I add to that 2 lessons on the Stock Market Game and the students play that as well (the communicate via email during the week). In the second semester I turn the class into a Mini Economy (based on the NEEC book by that name or something similar) and the students all get jobs etc. Each week I introduce a new concept eg taxes and we talk briefly about it, but mainly they learn by playing. They have bank accounts, can spend money at the stores, pay taxes, attend auctions and lots more. Very simple to implement and most kids say it is their favorite class ever (they elect a mayor too). I plan to put this together as a package for others to use but it is only 1 semester and the other materials I mentioned work great for the first semester as they are very hands on too and a great way to teach economics.

2. Playing Around the World

This one is geography through games. If you have a lot of geography board games then this is doable. I have bought more over the years but I had a lot to start with. I also made up Geography Taboo, Pictionary, 20 questions etc. Each lesson started off with 10 minutes of teaching and so I did manage to cover the whole world in a "thin" way and then the students played games related to the continent / country we had just studied.

A few years ago I also used the books in the Building Math series. They are really hands on science and the boys loved it (only 2 girls signed up though). I didn't enjoy teaching it much as science isn't my thing but it was a big hit. There are 3 books in the series and the first focuses on Everest and the students have to make an elevator thing to get a wounded climber down. The other 2 are similar.

My classes are always filled with lots of boys and most keep coming back for more classes of mine so I have figured out what works for them. Basically - don't expect them to sit still too long. Or be too academic. Let them move around and make noise and do stuff and they are happy.

Oh, I hope the detective class goes over ok for my boys. I'd love to see your plan for the economics class, half a year is fine for me. The detective class is only planned for 1/2 of the year anyway. I'm not sure about Engineering as it depends on how it goes imo. I love working with boys, it will take a bit to get my bearings though and get comfortable. I figured most of our class would be done with us up and around.

Mystery Disease by Prufrock Press - I've taught this three times to different groups of teens/tweens. I love this curriculum. I use it over a 12 week period.

http://www.prufrock.com/Mystery-Disease-P194.aspx

Exploring Bioethics by the NIH - free downloadable curriculum. It is very well-designed and easy to use. It promoted lots of discussion.

https://science.education.nih.gov/customers.nsf/HSBioethics.htm

I've taught Great Chocolate Caper and One Hour Mysteries, but to a slightly younger age group.

I've taken old Mathcount Club materials and done a Math and Logic Fun class.

Mathematical Mystery Tour - fun class

http://www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Mystery-Tour-Higher-Thinking-Tasks/dp/0913705268

I put together a class based on Ed Zacarro's books - 10 Things every Future Mathematician and Scientist Must Know in combo with 25 Real Life Math Investigations that will astound Teachers and Students

http://www.amazon.com/Things-Future-Mathematicians-Scientists-Rarely/dp/0967991544

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Investigations-Astound-Teachers-Students/dp/0967991587

I've done some hands-on chemistry and science classes that I've put together myself.

Have fun. Hope these ideas help someone.

Mystery Disease by Prufrock Press - I've taught this three times to different groups of teens/tweens. I love this curriculum. I use it over a 12 week period.

http://www.prufrock.com/Mystery-Disease-P194.aspx

Exploring Bioethics by the NIH - free downloadable curriculum. It is very well-designed and easy to use. It promoted lots of discussion.

https://science.education.nih.gov/customers.nsf/HSBioethics.htm

I've taught Great Chocolate Caper and One Hour Mysteries, but to a slightly younger age group.

I've taken old Mathcount Club materials and done a Math and Logic Fun class.

Mathematical Mystery Tour - fun class

http://www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Mystery-Tour-Higher-Thinking-Tasks/dp/0913705268

I put together a class based on Ed Zacarro's books - 10 Things every Future Mathematician and Scientist Must Know in combo with 25 Real Life Math Investigations that will astound Teachers and Students

http://www.amazon.com/Things-Future-Mathematicians-Scientists-Rarely/dp/0967991544

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Investigations-Astound-Teachers-Students/dp/0967991587

I've done some hands-on chemistry and science classes that I've put together myself.

Have fun. Hope these ideas help someone.

I'm not sure what age I'll end up and I think I've got a fair amount of boys that are working a bit behind so I'm hoping The Mysteries and Chocolate Caper is at the right level. I thought about starting with some books at a bit higher level but I was nervous it would be too hard. I have it listed as 4+ as that is what the books suggested.

I thought the Mysterious Disease looked really interesting as well. I hadn't seen the bioethics class but that looks really promising. I love the ideas of doing some fun math classes.

I am teaching a class next year called Time to Invent.  It was developed for 5th graders and the entire set up and curriculum is available at Timetoinvent.org.  I opened.It up to 4-8th graders and will add some extras for the olders in the group.   But the curricula is free to print out, and the materials are not pricey.  

• 7 months later...

I am teaching a class next year called Time to Invent.  It was developed for 5th graders and the entire set up and curriculum is available at Timetoinvent.org.  I opened.It up to 4-8th graders and will add some extras for the olders in the group.   But the curricula is free to print out, and the materials are not pricey.  

I know this is an old thread...but .... 

I really like this.  The activities look really do-able.  Since it's been since June, how's the class been going?

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread...but ....

I really like this. The activities look really do-able. Since it's been since June, how's the class been going?

We just finished and according to the kids it was their favorite class. I had 12 kids and I wouldn't do it with more than 12. The kids learned quite a bit and I was constantly surprised by their problem solving skills.

To my surprise, I got a great response from the tween and teen boys a couple of years ago in Renaissance history. We did some science demonstrations typical of the thought process in that time period, and they liked that. They liked the messy art project (painting frescoes -- I wish I could have had them paint while lying down, a la Michelangelo). They liked reading Shakespeare dramatically. They were appropriately horrified at Henry VIII and his six wives. They groaned at the grossness of Renaissance medicinal remedies, from the SOTW Activity Guide. Really, they were so awesome, the boys.

I also taught a class based on Treasure Island. We had 6-8 year old boys, but the program was actually written for slightly older guys, and I had to adapt the stuff down a bit. It worked fine, but I could have seen it working great for older boys too.

To my surprise, I got a great response from the tween and teen boys a couple of years ago in Renaissance history. We did some science demonstrations typical of the thought process in that time period, and they liked that. They liked the messy art project (painting frescoes -- I wish I could have had them paint while lying down, a la Michelangelo). They liked reading Shakespeare dramatically. They were appropriately horrified at Henry VIII and his six wives. They groaned at the grossness of Renaissance medicinal remedies, from the SOTW Activity Guide. Really, they were so awesome, the boys.

I also taught a class based on Treasure Island. We had 6-8 year old boys, but the program was actually written for slightly older guys, and I had to adapt the stuff down a bit. It worked fine, but I could have seen it working great for older boys too.