Menu

All 3 DragonBox apps on sale for iPad/iPhone

I sort of think those ARE the regular prices now, though I know the original Dragonbox was $4.99 when I bought it, I think they lowered the price when 12+ came out.  But I didn't mind paying...  I was just glad to get the new one.

Guest erlend_sh

Hi. I'm the WeWantToKnow guy from "that other thread" ;) I'm definitely not the owner of the company nor game though! But I do work there, and it's great fun to see threads like this one pop up.

About our next game, nothing is set in stone and we are still deciding what to work on next.

As for DragonBox Elements, we'd love to hear any feedback you may have for it, both good and bad. Reviews on the app stores help us out a lot (so please do that as well!) but forums are better facilitators of conversation.

- How do you play the DB games with your kids? Do you let them play it like any other game or do you introduce some math-speak once in a while?

- How do you feel DragonBox Elements compares to DragonBox Algebra?

- Have you ever recommended any of our games to someone else? If so, how did you describe it?

Hi. I'm the WeWantToKnow guy from "that other thread" ;) I'm definitely not the owner of the company nor game though! But I do work there, and it's great fun to see threads like this one pop up.

About our next game, nothing is set in stone and we are still deciding what to work on next.

As for DragonBox Elements, we'd love to hear any feedback you may have for it, both good and bad. Reviews on the app stores help us out a lot (so please do that as well!) but forums are better facilitators of conversation.

- How do you play the DB games with your kids? Do you let them play it like any other game or do you introduce some math-speak once in a while?

- Have you ever recommended any of our games to someone else? If so, how did you describe it?

Will Elements eventually be available for PC?

As for DragonBox Elements, we'd love to hear any feedback you may have for it, both good and bad.

First impressions. Overall I like it, maybe even a bit more than the second algebra app.

I was surprised how easy it was to figure out how to play.

Having the player "find the new power" on his or her own was cool.

The artwork is wonderful.

Some confusing things:

- I had a hard time telling what to do with a critter in a shape that didn't

automatically zap a critter in the bubble. Sometimes I'd get "extra" critters

in the end and I didn't know if it was good or bad.

- There was no critter for an isosceles right triangle. It was either isosceles or right, but not both.

- I found manipulating parallel lines and their angles confusing. It was hard to remember

what to tap. I can't think of an easier way; perhaps I just need to get more familiar with it.

- The tree with the levels was confusing. Why did numbers restart a 1? Why

were some numbers skipped?

HTH

I haven't shown it to my kids yet, but I'm sure they'll like it.

We got the original Dragonbox when it first came out and have gotten each one successively.  We just got Elements, so this is very much first impressions for that.  My boys are 9.  They both like math, though one of them is especially into math and puzzles.

I let the kids play them just as a game.  I play it too, mostly so I understand how to talk to the kids about it and relate it to math, but also because it's fun.  Both my kids have finished DB 2.  It has been useful in talking about negative numbers and in teaching with complex word problems.  Both of my boys prefer to use variables instead of doing bar diagrams Singapore style.  I think DB is probably a big part of that, though they've also done the Hands on Equations program (the physical one, not the app).  When they get stuck in their thinking, I will usually draw it out for them on their little whiteboards like a DB problem, with all the numbers and variables as little tiles and the equals sign as a line dividing the board.  It makes it instantly less intimidating.

Going forward, we'll probably use the practice (B sides) a little more before we begin formal algebra, but I have been saving that for down the road.  It would be really cool, IMO, for the B sides to bridge the gap even more into "real" math by introducing more terminology.  This is something I felt even more so playing Elements, though I haven't finished it yet.  The other thing I dream of occasionally is wishing that I could use DB like the way we use our whiteboards sometimes - to build a problem and figure it out with that.  That's one of the pieces that I see as being hardest for kids with word problems - figuring out how to express what they want to know in math, though maybe that's too hard to gamify.

My first impression of Elements is that it's light compared to the algebra apps, but maybe comparable to the original DB.  I can see how it conveys to geometry and ds was saying about finding right angles it in and so forth.

I recommend Dragon Box all time, whenever "good iPad apps" comes up in conversation.  I've posted about it on my blog.  I've also suggested it to people looking for a way to ease into algebra.

Thanks. :D 

I've played through the whole game except the last screen.  I can't beat it.  So, I started back at the beginning to see what it is that I'm doing wrong.  The kids are frustrated because Mom won't hand over the ipad until she's killed that dragon/monster!

If I could order my own customized DragonBox game, it would allow me to type in an algebra questions and magically it would turn it into a dragonboxed problem.  It's hilarious when my kids can't figure out how to solve a problem in their math lessons and I draw a Mommy version of dragonbox on the white board.  My son forgets and tries to manipulate the question on the whiteboard as if it was a smartboard. LOL

I've played through the whole game except the last screen. I can't beat it.

I can't beat that level either. I can't get the bottom left side with the circles

and green angles to work. With everything I try, there always seems to be

something missing so I can't prove that the bottom line is parallel with the

others, and the left side of the square is the same length.

If you figure it out, can you pm me the solution?

If you figure it out, can you pm me the solution?

My 9 year old figured that out but I don't know how to describe. He did a silent demo for us. He finished the elements in less than 2hrs *sigh* (luckily I bought with free Amazon coins)

Guest erlend_sh

Some confusing things:

- I had a hard time telling what to do with a critter in a shape that didn't

automatically zap a critter in the bubble. Sometimes I'd get "extra" critters

in the end and I didn't know if it was good or bad.

Yes, this is a common confusion. Any idea how to make it clearer? Perhaps at the start of a level with given shapes, there would be bubbles present for the pre-existing critters that are immediately popped, without any user interaction needed.

- There was no critter for an isosceles right triangle. It was either isosceles or right, but not both.

Huh, I hadn't realised, but you're right. Right now no puzzles are dependent on this addition, but if we get around to adding more levels we'll revisit this.

- I found manipulating parallel lines and their angles confusing. It was hard to remember

what to tap. I can't think of an easier way; perhaps I just need to get more familiar with it.

Indeed, it's a bit finnicky. An underlying problem is the fact that we don't teach the player that they can zoom in/out though, so maybe we'll start there.

- The tree with the levels was confusing. Why did numbers restart a 1? Why

were some numbers skipped?

Each new section of the island represents a new chapter with its own levels, e.g. Chapter 3, Level 1. As for the number skipping, that shouldn't be the case and we ought to fix that order.

(...) My first impression of Elements is that it's light compared to the algebra apps, but maybe comparable to the original DB.  I can see how it conveys to geometry and ds was saying about finding right angles it in and so forth.

When you say "light", are you referring to the game length or rather how "learning intensive" it is?

In this thread and elsewhere I've seen some comments on the game length. While I understand you want to get your money's worth, I personally don't appreciate it when games add a lot of "fluff" just to inflate the game length, and I encounter this more often than I'd like to. On the other hand, young children often don't mind repetition and can even benefit greatly from it as it helps new concepts sink in.

We will soon publish an updated version of the game that introduces the "Polydex", a lively overview of the critters you've encountered and their properties. That should add to the game length, as well as providing a lot of food for thought. There might still be things we can do to add to the replay value though.

This kind of feedback is immensely useful. Thank you all so much for taking the time to share your experiences!

By light I meant both the length and the learning from it, but now that ds is finished with it, I'll update and say that I think there's more there than I thought there was going to be when we were only halfway through, which I should have realized based on Dragonbox.  :)

Thanks! Got it. Now it makes sense.

Wish I had known I could zoom in and out earlier.

It sure makes tapping the right things easier.

My son is only on the 3rd level I think, but zooming in and out has already been mentioned. Level 2 I think it was in.

When you say "light", are you referring to the game length or rather how "learning intensive" it is?

In this thread and elsewhere I've seen some comments on the game length.

Game length is short as in the game wouldn't last a leg of a road trip. Good thing is no Wi-Fi needed to play. I am not sure what age your company was targeting for so I do think the learning intensive is light too but my boys could be "over-age" for the game.  Still it is fun.

By light I meant both the length and the learning from it, but now that ds is finished with it, I'll update and say that I think there's more there than I thought there was going to be when we were only halfway through, which I should have realized based on Dragonbox.   :)

Did you read the teacher's manual  :)  There is a parents manual too.

I just went back and played levels 1-3. No zooming mentioned or necessary.

I'm on an iPad, is your son perhaps on a smaller screened device?

No.. I am going to go replay it myself. I guess I was mistaken.

Yup you are right. I earnestly thought that it was mentioned during the transfer for power section or around there.

I am having so much trouble getting the parallel line "power" to work. I feel like it requires tapping in some magical spot that seriously takes me five or more minutes to find. I was having a great time with this until now. I'm stuck and frustrated. :-(

EDIT: I may have figured it out. I was clicking on the parallel lines, not the crossing line (whatever it is called).