Menu

getting greasy stain out of cheap, cheap polyester

PrincessMommy

My daughter got black grease from a door hinge on her graduation gown. It's cheap polyester...feels like plastic.  I really don't think I can use an iron to soak it up with a papertowel.

When she was given the gown by her school they were pretty anal about it not getting dirty.  They said it needed to be unwrinkled (it was in packaging) so suggested hanging them in the bathroom.  Well, it got caught on the door hinge.  Ugh.

I  tried some clorox bleach paste last night.  It helped a bit, but it's still there.

Anyone got any other ideas?   It's white (of course :rolleyes: ).  The grad. is in 2 weeks, so I've got time to try some other ideas. 

For cleaning, I would use Dawn dishwashing liquid. I've found that to be the best at getting out oily stains.

Are you sure you can't get another one? Here and Here are a couple of sources. (I've never used these, I just found them with google.) The 2nd site has shiny and matte finishes, so be sure to get one that matches.

Best wishes.

For grease and other stains on marching band uniforms I first try rubbing soap directly into the stain, then Resolve, and if that doesn't work Lestoil usually will take it out. Word of warning on the Lestoil--it takes several washings to get the odor out so use as a last resort on more delicate fabrics.