Menu

Update Post # 31 - Would you adopt this cat? Vets & cat people please check in

TechWife

We have visited with a cat that is in the care of a rescue group. He is perfect for our family in almost every way. I am hesitating because when he was rescued from a feral colony, he had an upper respiratory infection and an eye infection. From the reading I've done on the internet and talking briefly with my vet's office, I have pretty much concluded that it's probably the herpes virus that cats can get. Our vet said to make sure he was FeLV negative, which he is supposed to be. 

We already have a  cat at home, which is my hesitation. I don't want to run the risk of her catching the virus from him. These are the questions that I can't find answers to: 

What is the likelihood that this cat would infect our current, healthy kitty?

Is the virus contagious if there is no active infection? In other words, could he appear healthy to us and still infect the cat we have now? 

Could he transmit the virus to our current cat by cleaning her? 

Will this cat definitely get a return infection? 

Both my husband and son think it would be fine, but I am uneasy. He's so sweet & adorable, I really wish I felt better about it. 

Any help would be appreciated.

One of the three cats we adopted about 2 years ago had the feline herpes virus and I was extremely hesitant. It's been no problem at all---he's the healthiest of all three of the cats and not had another issue since right after we brought him home (perhaps triggered by the stress of changing habitats). He had to have medication for about 2 weeks. I was told that the virus is extremely common in cats and all of ours probably already had it since they came from the shelter.

I would take the vets opinion and adopt the cat; if FIV was all he had concerns about, then you should be OK.  Check with the rescue group and see if they will allow you a trial run in your home and a check-up with your own vet.

FWIW, I adopted a kitten that was one of only 2 surviving from a litter (the others had to be put down).  He had everything except FIV - malnutrition, feline herpes, parasites of all types, dehydration, a grub had bored a hole into his poor little neck - all this before he was 4 months old.  Anyway, the vet repaired him and we took him home and he has been the loviest cat ever.  He's semi-long-haired, so that's been a PITA, but he is now 12 years old and his health and the health of the animals he has lived with has never been an issue.

We have a dog and a cat, however I don't know cats as well.  But, from what you said, can you pay to have tests run?  Can you ask the rescue group to take the cat to your vet (better yet, you could meet them there) and pay to have the test run?   It would be less emotional, maybe, if done this way.  Then you would know. 

We live on the east coast and rescued a cat from a west coast high kill shelter.  The rescue group that assisted with her adoption took her to the vet to have a clean bill of health before placing.  She was emotionally distraught (who wouldn't be?) but after a while she has healed emotionally.  She is a GREAT cat.  HTH!  Keep us posted.   :)

Always quarantine a new cat for a week or two before introducing to the old cat, regardless. It helps with behavior adjustments as well as giving new kitty time to be over any infectious kitty colds. If old kitty is vaccinated for FVRCP and new cat is FeLV negative you're probably fairly good to go.

We have a dog and a cat, however I don't know cats as well.  But, from what you said, can you pay to have tests run?  Can you ask the rescue group to take the cat to your vet (better yet, you could meet them there) and pay to have the test run?   It would be less emotional, maybe, if done this way.  Then you would know. 

There isn't really a test to be run, to my knowledge, without an active infection. My concerns are mainly for how/if this would transmit to our other cat. 

We went to visit him again this evening and he had just a little bit of goop in the fur over one of his eyes. We had so much fun playing with him, though! 

Always quarantine a new cat for a week or two before introducing to the old cat, regardless. It helps with behavior adjustments as well as giving new kitty time to be over any infectious kitty colds. If old kitty is vaccinated for FVRCP and new cat is FeLV negative you're probably fairly good to go.

Do you think that the FVRCP would provide enough protection, then? 

He may just have a cold. If so it should pass. Ask the group or the vet to run a combo test which will test for the three big cat diseases. If this is negative I would adopt him. He can infect the other cat with his cold, though, and it can last 2-3 weeks.

Do you think that the FVRCP would provide enough protection, then? 

If the vet is right and it's the "common herpesvirus" of cats, then that's the viral rhinotracheitis in the shot. It's certainly no guarantee, as you probably can't diagnose a kitty cold and if you could the vaccine wouldn't be 100% protection. But the vaccine plus a two week quarantine would make me feel pretty comfortable. (Not an expert, only a former tech-type person and occasional kitty foster person.)

Per the above, the FeLV/FIV snap test sounds like it's already been run but I'd get confirmation from the rescue. Also I second the concerns about taking in a former feral. A feral and a stray are like night and day; a feral kitty will never be a pet but only a charity case.

Is current kitty vaccinated and in good health?  If so, I wouldn't hesitate to adopt the new kitty.  As Sunnyday posted, you should plan on keeping the new addition in quarantine for a week or two.  That's solid advice any time a new cat is brought in, even if the newcomer appears to be in great health.

This would actually be the second feral cat we've had. The first one turned into a delightful pet, he was just awesome. This cat was resued from the colony in late September. They estimate an early August birth date, so he's been in foster homes since. The only feral behavior I've noticed is that he fights against being picked up. If he approaches us, he will climb into our laps and is easy to handle. He's a good blend between playful and calm. He's tame compared to the first feral we had.

We already planned to quarantine him here for a couple of weeks, that won't be a problem. Our current kitty is in good health and up to date on vaccines. This kitty is up to date on vaccines and has been tested for FiLV. I assume the respiratory infection was diagnosed the same way.

I'm still so confused.

I have been thinking about this for a while now, and I'm still not sure what I would do.

Honestly, if there's any chance at all that he could make your current cat sick, or if you're going to be a nervous wreck worrying that he might, I wouldn't adopt him.

I wish there was a way you could be sure, because he sounds like a real sweetie.

I have had a lot of cats over the years.  Almost all of the cats that came from a rescue situation have had an eye infection, upper respiratory infection, or both.  My other cats are all healthy indoor cats and I've never had a problem with them getting infected.  As for concerns about the cat being feral, I've taken in several feral cats.  Some become great pets and others are more independent, but it hasn't been much different with non-feral cats. You said you had fun playing with him and I would take that as a good sign.

We foster for the local Humane Society and fostered six kittens recently, two of them feral. We got them at five weeks and they hissed and spit and hid and didn't play. We socialized them and they dropped the hissing, learned to play, and became calm but sweet cats. They were never as playful as the other four non feral kittens and did not seek us out as much as the non ferals, but they were adopted together and are doing very well.

I adopted two littermate cats. One had a herpes eye infection (congenital, I think. No current symptoms beyond the messed up eye). The other was fine. They'd lived together in close quarters their whole life.

(I wouldn't be surprised if the other one was infected but asymptomatic, just as many humans are infected with herpes with only rare flare-ups. But she never had any obvious problems.)

It's a black cat!  I love black cats and have a 10 month old feral kitten who looks just like that one.  Yes, I think you need to adopt him.  (Of course I'm a crazy cat lady and take in too many cats.)

We love black cats, too. They are beautiful. My husband always points out how they co-ordinate with our decor (he's a nut)!

He would be joining this one:

One of our adopted cats (the one I mentioned above) was feral also.  He was never (and still isn't) the same as the other one.  It's weird - we got him when he was very young, but that hard-knock life seems to have imprinted on him and never went away, and he still acts feral.  He is wary of non-family who come into the house and will hide, he slinks along the wall as if he can disappear into the wall and hide; even the way he moves is "stealthy" and quick.  With us, though, he is a cuddly-bunny and extremely affectionate.  Since mammals have so much in common, I've often wondered wonder how much poverty and a hard life imprint on a young child in a similar way to drive their behavior and choices as adults, with little hope of changing. 

See I don't know.  I'd be hesitant as well.  I don't know if it could cause problems, but worrying about it would not be fun.  And I could not bring myself to return a cat.  So I chose our second cat very carefully. 

And growing up we adopted a cat that had been feral.  That cat was never the same as our domesticated cat.  She would sometimes freak out and claw us for no apparent reason because she was just always nervous like that.  She stuck around and seemed to accept us, but she wasn't particularly ever warm towards us.  Basically, she wasn't much of a pet. 

It's actually the feral part I hesitate with more.

He was adopted by someone else today. I'm sad. I miss having a playful cat. Our other cat barely comes out from under the bed now - she's been alone for three weeks. I was getting used to the idea of having him around & was just waiting for my husband to get home from a business trip to pick him up.

I'm confused. Did you have the cats introduced and they were together for a few weeks? I don't know how rescue groups work. Or did you recently lose another pet and that is why your cat has been alone? :(

Yes, we lost a pet a few weeks ago due to lymphoma - our "little black cat," as we called him. He was with us for sixteen years.

When our black cat (best cat ever!) was sick and dying I promised my kids we would get another cat. The vet often had cats he was trying to find homes for. We met two brothers up for adoption and I told my son if our cat died we would adopt them. Vet knew this and said would hold cats for us. Our cat landed living for another 6 months and the brother cats were adopted.

We were at the vet after our cat died and they told us a cat had been left at their door, in her crate with her scratching post.

We met her, liked her and took her home.

That was 4 years ago and she is a wonderful cat. I'm convinced she was the cat meant for us.

There's a kitty out there looking for you.