Menu

Meat for the masses - a quantity question

Ginevra

I somehow managed to get myself volunteered to bring meat for slow-cooking on the grill at our jointly-owned-with-in-laws beach house this weekend. I was at Costco today and bought a big slab of beef - I think it is top sirloin. It weighs 11 lbs. I also bought a package of pork ribs. There are three racks, which total just over nine lbs.So, minus whatever the bones in the ribs weigh, it is 20 lbs. We expect about 26 people; five or six are younger children. This seems like enough meat. What do you think?

P.S., of course, there will be other sides such as salads, fruit, etc.

Goodness, that should be plenty.  Nigella says to never knowingly under-cater, which I've taken to heart, but I think you'll be just fine, as that's almost a pound per person (less bones).  Make sure you have plans for any leftovers; for example you can dice the beef and use it in pot pie or curry, freezing it first if need be, or use it in cold sandwiches the next day.

I agree that I would do burgers *or* hotdogs along with it.

That's 11 pounds of beef + 3 racks of ribs for 26 people, but ribs don't always have a ton of meat, one person can eat a half rack of ribs pretty easily.

Burgers, hot dogs, brats, kalbi, something like that would give me more breathing room, but I always overdo the food, so maybe I am not he person to ask, lol!

What time is dinner? I'll bring fresh-squeezed lemonade ;)

:D as far as time goes, one never knows. "Beach Time" bears no resemblance to other types of time. It's generally a few hours after Fishing O'Clock, but before Movie-thirty.

I agree that I would do burgers *or* hotdogs along with it.

That's 11 pounds of beef + 3 racks of ribs for 26 people, but ribs don't always have a ton of meat, one person can eat a half rack of ribs pretty easily.

Burgers, hot dogs, brats, kalbi, something like that would give me more breathing room, but I always overdo the food, so maybe I am not he person to ask, lol!

There will be hot dogs around as standard. I think a couple of the pickier eaters usually have hot dogs anyway.

If the ribs only have 2 lbs of meat in them, you still have 1/2 lb of meat per person, which is a decent serving, particularly if littles are eating hot dogs. I would make sure that I cut up the ribs into reasonable portions--like 2-3 rib portions.

So, now my SIL is texting me, making me second-guess myself. She's saying, "it never goes as far as you think it will. For Easter I made a whole ham. There was NONE left!" Eeek!

So, now my SIL is texting me, making me second-guess myself. She's saying, "it never goes as far as you think it will. For Easter I made a whole ham. There was NONE left!" Eeek!

If SIL is so worried about it, suggest she be the one to bring some extra food. You know, because she's such an expert and all. :glare:

You're bringing plenty. Don't second-guess yourself.

If SIL is so worried about it, suggest she be the one to bring some extra food. You know, because she's such an expert and all. :glare:

You're bringing plenty. Don't second-guess yourself.

Yeah. You know how my SIL issues go. Grrr. I'm planning to bring plenty of Mike's Hard Lemonade and get my Rx for Zoloft filled before I go. :D

I think it sounds like plenty of meat but just a note.  Unless you know the littles will eat hotdogs don't assume that is what they will eat.  My dc loved steak and ribs from the time they were tiny.  Put out at platter with hotdogs, ribs and steak and mine would go for the steak and/or ribs.

let me guess: SIL is signed up to provide meat for the following day, and is counting on your lftovers so she can weasel out of buying it herself? :glare:

Ha, ha! One never knows! DH said, "it's enough. Nobody will starve. Don't sweat it." Love that man.