Menu

Low blood sugar, low temps and low bp?

Soror

I'm trying to figure out some things here. I've had some hypoglycemia issues off and on since my first pregnancy, generally it is not an issue when not pregnant but my last pregnancy it flaired again. I also have now confirmed that I'm hypothyroid (Hashimotos). Now, I know hypothryoidism is associated with lower body temps which I've had as long as I've charted (11+ yrs) but since my last pregnancy I've had some really low episodes, especially in the middle of the night and after reading more about hypoglycemia I'm wondering how much is due to the thyroid and how much is due to the hypoglycemia? Perhaps I'm already lowered due to the thyroid issue so when my blood sugar is low it hits me even harder? I've had readings in the 95s and regularly 96s. My blood pressure is also low and I noticed that when the mw would come visit in the afternoons it would be even lower than usual if I hadn't ate and subsequently I'd feel wretched and tired. 

I had one episode when I was pregnant that I was so dizzy I couldn't even lift my head when I woke up, with the kid's help I got some people here and once they got food in me I started feeling better. My bp was around 66/50, unfortunately we didn't have a bg meter to test my levels, although I'll forever be curious. After that I watched what I ate more carefully and figured out either too low or too high carb and I would have problems.

So, now I'm wondering how much of how I'm feeling is due to the thyroid (and also low iron) and if I'm still having some blood sugar issues. I'm thinking I need to get a meter to monitor. I'm going to try to make myself eat straight away as I'm hungry when I wake up but usually put off eating for 2-3 hrs.

Is anyone familiar with these things? I am trying to see a dr but it is proving difficult to get in quickly to anyone decent so in the meantime I'm trying to figure out the things I can do, like timing and regulating what I eat, to make myself feel at least somewhat better.

Have you asked about being tested for insulin resistance?  Hypoglycemia is often what is called reactive hypoglycemia.  For ex with IR, a person eats (particularly something carby), then their body pumps out too much insulin to aid the elevated amount of blood sugar in going into cells.  What happens is that after that initial blood sugar rise, they may find themselves hypoglycemic because their body pumps out too much insulin.  Many doctors still only do things like fasting insulin levels.  To test for IR, you really need a 2 or 3 hr glucose tolerance test with insulin levels.  I learned that the hard way after having to repeat a test since the lab only took my glucose levels instead of the glucose + insulin levels at each draw as indicated on the script.  Whether IR  might be a possibility for you is something to think about, and perhaps try tracking to see if your hypoglycemic episodes happen more or are worse after eating something carbier vs something like a protein with greens and other lower sugar vegetables and some healthy fats.  Talk with your doc about that aspect of things.

Hmm, I've somewhat heard of IR but not looked into it greatly. It is definitely effected by what I eat. I really just need to buy a bg monitor. I'll mention it to the dr whenever I finally get in to see someone, thanks!

I have all of these same issues. Blood sugar drops used to be a huge concern for me.  It has gotten better since I've been treating my thyroid, but I am also concerned about IR.  I try to limit sugary foods (with varying degrees of success). 

Yep. Adrenal issues. Often go with thyroid. Check out Dr Wilson's website. 

Thanks for this!  I'm going to look into it too.

I am looking into adrenal issues as I have some other hallmarks associated with it. 

Since having this baby going too lc causes an increase in insomnia and a huge drop of energy. After reading more about hypothyroidism and the connection with low carb I can see why now, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be an unusual occurrence and unfortunately not all those that push lc/vlc are aware that it could be quite harmful for those that are prone to thyroid issues. I'm feeling much better now on a more moderate carb diet, currently following the AIP diet, which is paleo without dairy, eggs, nuts, seeds and chocolate.

My temps went that low (armpit  95...) postpartum with dd.  We were living under high tension power lines and the EMF was part of the problem. I did go on thyroid meds.  Yes, the hypoglycemia and low blood pressure were adrenals.  You may need an endocrinologist to get this sorted out.  I didn't go to one, but I had no antibodies for Hashi and decided to go totally alternative.  Would have been different if I had had the antibodies.  From what I've read, an endo will be better at sorting through this.  They can put you on stuff and get everything balanced out. (florinef, blah blah)

They sort of go hand in hand.  Chronic low blood sugar will cause the metabolism to slow down-- causing cold hands, low BP and thyroid issues.  It will also cause adrenal issues because they are overworked trying to give you energy to "go". 

I had chronic low blood sugar and low thyroid and low BP.  When I decided to stop taking thyroid meds, I researched and found a teeny tiny section in book about a chronic dieter who caused herself to get thyroid issues because her body was always in starvation mode. 

This really clicked with me, since I had just discovered my hypoglycemia and what is low blood sugar but a way of the body "starving"?  

Once I fixed my blood sugar-- I no longer needed the thyroid pills. 

I used to have a HUGE plantars wart on my foot that no amount of treatment would get rid of--- after getting my metabolism back up-- it went away. 

My daughter is also hypoglycemic and she had surgery a year ago and I fed her high protein meals and milk right up until the final time for food.  Her surgery was delayed and I could tell she was really low-- her feet and hands were like ice.  They couldn't get an IV into her because they couldn't find a vein in her arm.  After they finally got a sugar drip in her-- she perked up, and her fingers were warm again, and all her veins were visible in her hands/arms again. 

heading out the door.... I just got an appt with a Functional Medicine Dr. for tomorrow( ya!), who I'm hoping can help. I do also have an appt with an endo in August, which I'm going to see if he can take care of me or if I need the "big guns". I'm not certain if my thyroid growths are going to warrant a biopsy or just watching. 

Whenever my blood sugar goes low (under 83), my body temperature and my blood pressure both drop.  Not a happy combination.

Getting a monitor is a very good, inexpensive solution to monitor for low blood sugar.  You need to realize that when your blood sugar drops past a certain point, you WILL NOT be hungry.  Mostly you feel sort-of nauseus and shaky and disoriented. 

Seeing the number on the monitor makes it easier to force yourself to eat right then and there.  I usually keep those glucose tablets in my purse and bathroom cabinet because I can often force myself to chew one of those when I can't make myself even consider food. 

I have always had low blood pressure and low body temp. Not sure about blood sugar, but I do need to eat regularly to feel normal.  I have also had my thyroid checked and it is just fine.  It runs in my family.  Both my father and maternal grandmother have/had the same.  It could just be hereditary.

I think that's one advantage of getting proper testing.  Many people assume hypoglycemia means they can't also have high sugar levels or an abnormal insulin response.  I have always been a normal weight, but have PCOS, and therefore am somewhat IR.  I used to have bouts of hypoglycemia, but I now know that was due to hyperinsulinemia.  My levels aren't terrible, I've never had an issue with a regular pregnancy glucose test, never had an issue with fasting levels, but if you do a 2 hr GTT, you can see my response trends toward a more IR situation. 

If you do something like a GTT with insulin levels, they can see how your body reacts to the glucose at various points in time, and ALSO what your insulin levels are doing in response to that glucose load.  Some people with IR don't have super abnormal glucose levels, but you can see their body pumping out excess insulin in response to the glucose load if you test their insulin levels at various intervals.  In order to really understand if it is IR, you need to look at both insulin and glucose levels, and over a period of time.  I've heard a 3 hr will tend to pick up more abnormalities in those with hyperinsulinemia than a 2 hr. 

Whenever my blood sugar goes low (under 83), my body temperature and my blood pressure both drop.  Not a happy combination.

Getting a monitor is a very good, inexpensive solution to monitor for low blood sugar.  You need to realize that when your blood sugar drops past a certain point, you WILL NOT be hungry.  Mostly you feel sort-of nauseus and shaky and disoriented. 

Seeing the number on the monitor makes it easier to force yourself to eat right then and there.  I usually keep those glucose tablets in my purse and bathroom cabinet because I can often force myself to chew one of those when I can't make myself even consider food. 

Thanks for giving me a number, researching I couldn't find specific info about at what point it would drop. I know that it would be different for everyone but at least that gives me some more info. I know I was reading about how it isn't uncommon for people to get used to hypoglycemia that they miss the signs

I have always had low blood pressure and low body temp. Not sure about blood sugar, but I do need to eat regularly to feel normal.  I have also had my thyroid checked and it is just fine.  It runs in my family.  Both my father and maternal grandmother have/had the same.  It could just be hereditary.

Well, I've always just thought it was fine and dandy until it obviously isn't anymore and you naturally run low and then you drop more it makes a big difference. Like I said when I was pregnant I had episodes I felt wretched. Now, I wish I would have addressed those signs before and looked into it before as it would have been much better to catch the Hashi's before. Also, thyroid issues are highly heritable, so it could just be that is what is being inherited. So, now I'm looking at examining everything because at this point it isn't something I can take care of and I want to stop my body from getting worse and hopefully heal. Fwiw I've had 3 thyroid tests and it wasn't until the last one that they checked my anti-bodies for Hashimotos, they kept telling me I was in range and it was fine, except I didn't feel fine. So, my body is trying to kill off my thyroid who knows at what point they would have caught it if I hadn't pushed for more tests. Also, even though my other numbers are "in range" they are higher than the normal population and even at the level I'm at studies have shown a 40% increase in cardiovascular issues. Also, the ranges for normal TSH have been lowered from 5 to 3 and yet many still go by the old guidelines, some especially crappy Drs don't treat unless patients are 10+. Of course TSH is a poor indicator of thyroid health in general, especially on its own but often dr's don't even check anything else.

I think that's one advantage of getting proper testing.  Many people assume hypoglycemia means they can't also have high sugar levels or an abnormal insulin response.  I have always been a normal weight, but have PCOS, and therefore am somewhat IR.  I used to have bouts of hypoglycemia, but I now know that was due to hyperinsulinemia.  My levels aren't terrible, I've never had an issue with a regular pregnancy glucose test, never had an issue with fasting levels, but if you do a 2 hr GTT, you can see my response trends toward a more IR situation. 

If you do something like a GTT with insulin levels, they can see how your body reacts to the glucose at various points in time, and ALSO what your insulin levels are doing in response to that glucose load.  Some people with IR don't have super abnormal glucose levels, but you can see their body pumping out excess insulin in response to the glucose load if you test their insulin levels at various intervals.  In order to really understand if it is IR, you need to look at both insulin and glucose levels, and over a period of time.  I've heard a 3 hr will tend to pick up more abnormalities in those with hyperinsulinemia than a 2 hr. 

I'll definitely bring up this info, since I'm finally going to the dr I want to check out everything. I've never did a GTT but I doubt I would do well, perhaps it is time to investigate. I do notice a difference with food but generally I watch what I eat and I'm fine, it seems however that I'm becoming more sensitive over time. 

I will try to come back and post more about this when I have more time. I've had many similar symptoms as you and have tried out so many different supplements and approaches trying to get better.

Yes, of course I'd love to read anything. I've been madly researching everything I can find, random articles and research studies as well.

My temps went that low (armpit  95...) postpartum with dd.  We were living under high tension power lines and the EMF was part of the problem. I did go on thyroid meds.  Yes, the hypoglycemia and low blood pressure were adrenals.  You may need an endocrinologist to get this sorted out.  I didn't go to one, but I had no antibodies for Hashi and decided to go totally alternative.  Would have been different if I had had the antibodies.  From what I've read, an endo will be better at sorting through this.  They can put you on stuff and get everything balanced out. (florinef, blah blah)

Yes, I'm anticipating thyroid meds. I did test positive for antibodies. I'm going to try the Functional Medicine Dr but I might need the Endo as well, I'm keeping the appointment for now. 

They sort of go hand in hand.  Chronic low blood sugar will cause the metabolism to slow down-- causing cold hands, low BP and thyroid issues.  It will also cause adrenal issues because they are overworked trying to give you energy to "go". 

I had chronic low blood sugar and low thyroid and low BP.  When I decided to stop taking thyroid meds, I researched and found a teeny tiny section in book about a chronic dieter who caused herself to get thyroid issues because her body was always in starvation mode. 

This really clicked with me, since I had just discovered my hypoglycemia and what is low blood sugar but a way of the body "starving"?  

I used to have a HUGE plantars wart on my foot that no amount of treatment would get rid of--- after getting my metabolism back up-- it went away. 

My daughter is also hypoglycemic and she had surgery a year ago and I fed her high protein meals and milk right up until the final time for food.  Her surgery was delayed and I could tell she was really low-- her feet and hands were like ice.  They couldn't get an IV into her because they couldn't find a vein in her arm.  After they finally got a sugar drip in her-- she perked up, and her fingers were warm again, and all her veins were visible in her hands/arms again. 

I wonder as well what was first and what I need to address first, it is all so confusing as everything is related and dependent on everything else. I'd prefer not to take thyroid drugs forever, or at all but I've read studies about using it with euthyroid patients and it delaying progression of Hashi's, so we'll have to see I guess.

Well, the plot thickens my testosterone is elevated, normal is 10-38 mine was 98. Estrone was 86 and normal was 30-58. Progesterone is 65-500 range and mine was 159. Boy, I hope this guys has some answers.

Go here to read the thread I started two years ago about how I treated my adrenal fatigue. I've had ups and downs since then, but you can read in detail about what I tried the first five years for my adrenals.

I have also been treated for gut dysbiosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, parasites, MTHFR defect, and other hormone problems. I left most of those treatments out of the other thread because it would take forever to go into detail.

Of all the various supplements (individual and combo) I've tried for adrenals, one of the only that obviously helped was the Adrenastim cream by Apex Energetics. It started helping me feel less bad within a week or two. Most stuff either takes months, I get side effects from, or I never know if it is helping.

My testosterone is also high right now, after previously being low. I also have low progesterone and low estrogen. If you look at the hormonal cascade below, you can see that progesterone can be turned into various hormones. My doctor thinks that stress causes my body to convert too much into testosterone and not enough into cortisol. In your case, you may also have too much diverted into estrogen and not enough aldosterone (causing low blood pressure) and low cortisol (causing low glucose).

The most important test (aside from all your thyroid tests) to get is a 24 hour saliva cortisol test. Just a single blood sample doesn't show if the rhythm is correct. I've had cortisol rhythms all over the board over the last seven years. Sometimes I thought my cortisol would be high and it was low, other times I thought it was low and it was high at a certain time.

Most doctors only acknowledge the extremes of cortisol levels: Addison's disease or Cushing's. Addison's is deathly low levels. If your levels are terrible, but not enough to kill you (even if you are almost bedridden), they will probably tell you that your adrenal glands are fine. A functional medicine doctor is more likely to want to treat less severe adrenal problems.

Stop the Thyroid Madness is a great site to visit. They cover both adrenal and thyroid issues.

The Thyroid Sessions online thyroid summit just ended. I watched maybe five presentations. My dad watched many more. If you haven't spent years reading about treating Hashimoto's, then it's probably worthing paying for access.  Reed Davis, Christa Orrechio, and Suzy Cohen's talks are good places to start.

The Thyroid Summit  starts in a few weeks and has a few of the same people as The Thyroid Sessions.

Well, the plot thickens my testosterone is elevated, normal is 10-38 mine was 98. Estrone was 86 and normal was 30-58. Progesterone is 65-500 range and mine was 159. Boy, I hope this guys has some answers.

Have you ever asked about PCOS?  Insulin resistance is thought to be a major underlying issue with PCOS.  Elevated insulin affects other hormones.  Women with PCOS often have elevated testosterone, dhea-s, androstenedione, estradiol, and an abnormal FSH to LH ratio.  It is very mix and match, you don't have to have all of those.  Some women have increased hairiness, some have acne, some have acanthosis nigricans (darkish "dirty" looking ring around neck or under arms),skin tags, some have long or irregular cycles or cystic ovaries . You don't need to have all of those symptoms by any means . Many women with PCOS only have a few.  And despite the name, you don't need to have ovarian cysts even.  About half of women with PCOS are overweight, but there are also normal weight and thin women with PCOS.  Unfortunately,many docs were taught originally in med school to look for hairy, obese women to diagnose PCOS, when now the diagnostic criteria are much different.  Soulcysters.net has a lot of info on pcos.

My infertility and PCOS diagnosis is what made me understand IR. 

Did you have other horomone testing besides testosterone?  With PCOS, free testosterone is a better marker than total testosterone.  I had an ob/gyn who didn't do a full panel of testing for PCOS when I was going through infertility and told me I was fine, when I most definitely was not.  Two of my tests came back "high end of normal," which he insisted was normal.  Coupled with symptoms, it was not normal.  When I finally got in with a good reproductive endo, it was obvious with proper and more extensive testing that I have PCOS. I had a hunch after my initial "higher end of normal" bloodwork.  My doctor insisted I didn't have PCOS since I am of a normal weight (which is diagnostically totally wrong, but many docs still go by outdated info and criteria with respect to PCOS).

Something to consider having ruled in or out, but you want to make sure they are doing a full panel.  Many docs, like my first one, do a scattering of tests that won't give a full picture.  They really need to do the proper bloodwork. For PCOS they also usually do thyroid testing (which already is an issue for you, but can coexist with PCOS.  It is often used as part of a differential diagnosis) and rule out things like Cushing's (which can also look a bit like PCOS).  Those are things I'd ask about. 

I didn't see my tests for hormones but she said my estrogen was elevated as well, although not as much as the testosterone. I had never even considered PCOS because I don't fit the pattern but now I'm curious. I really liked the new Dr.he got me started on naturethroid and cytomel and supplements for my gut. We are looking into insulin, cortisol and several vitamin levels (b's, d's, and iodine). 

With the Hashimoto's (auto-immune) and now more testing for vitamin levels, make sure your doc tests for Pernicious Anemia (the B-12 antibody.)  If the antibody is there, it's killing your Instrinsic Factor (the protein that carries B-12 from your digestive system to your blood).    It's been said that people who have auto-immune issues are more likely to have another one pop up. 

Have you ever asked about PCOS?  Insulin resistance is thought to be a major underlying issue with PCOS.  Elevated insulin affects other hormones.  Women with PCOS often have elevated testosterone, dhea-s, androstenedione, estradiol, and an abnormal FSH to LH ratio.  It is very mix and match, you don't have to have all of those.  Some women have increased hairiness, some have acne, some have acanthosis nigricans (darkish "dirty" looking ring around neck or under arms),skin tags, some have long or irregular cycles or cystic ovaries . You don't need to have all of those symptoms by any means . Many women with PCOS only have a few.  And despite the name, you don't need to have ovarian cysts even.  About half of women with PCOS are overweight, but there are also normal weight and thin women with PCOS.  Unfortunately,many docs were taught originally in med school to look for hairy, obese women to diagnose PCOS, when now the diagnostic criteria are much different.  Soulcysters.net has a lot of info on pcos.

I don't think I have any of the physical characteristics. I've always been thin until the last 8 months, I've put on about 20 lbs and am just a bit overweight now. I didn't have the FSH to LH tested.   I've been fairly fertile (obviously with 4 kids :) ) but my luteal phase has always been on the shorter end of normal and not always long enough. I've had so few periods due to nursing or breastfeeding I don't have much data here. 

Looking at my hormone tests my

Free Testosterone is 98, Normal is 10-38

Estrone 86- R- 16-39

Estradiol 9 R  3-16

Estriol 43 R- 12-25

Progesterone 159 R 65-500

I bought a BG Monitor and today I tested as I was feeling like I was a bit high after eating some plantain crackers at 1.5 hrs I was 132, 2 hrs, 135, 3 hrs 131, 4hrs 121, 5 hrs 122, 6 hrs 95. So, not really where they should be. I had been wondering if some of my icky feelings was due to my BG being a bit high or low at times and it seems that is the case. I felt great yesterday and had about 120 g carbs, so I need to start monitoring. 

My testosterone is also high right now, after previously being low. I also have low progesterone and low estrogen. If you look at the hormonal cascade below, you can see that progesterone can be turned into various hormones. My doctor thinks that stress causes my body to convert too much into testosterone and not enough into cortisol. In your case, you may also have too much diverted into estrogen and not enough aldosterone (causing low blood pressure) and low cortisol (causing low glucose).

ad%20fatigue%202.jpg

The most important test (aside from all your thyroid tests) to get is a 24 hour saliva cortisol test. Just a single blood sample doesn't show if the rhythm is correct. I've had cortisol rhythms all over the board over the last seven years. Sometimes I thought my cortisol would be high and it was low, other times I thought it was low and it was high at a certain time.

Most doctors only acknowledge the extremes of cortisol levels: Addison's disease or Cushing's. Addison's is deathly low levels. If your levels are terrible, but not enough to kill you (even if you are almost bedridden), they will probably tell you that your adrenal glands are fine. A functional medicine doctor is more likely to want to treat less severe adrenal problems.

Stop the Thyroid Madness is a great site to visit. They cover both adrenal and thyroid issues.

The Thyroid Sessions online thyroid summit just ended. I watched maybe five presentations. My dad watched many more. If you haven't spent years reading about treating Hashimoto's, then it's probably worthing paying for access.  Reed Davis, Christa Orrechio, and Suzy Cohen's talks are good places to start.

The Thyroid Summit  starts in a few weeks and has a few of the same people as The Thyroid Sessions.

I've been reading STTM and listened to some of The Thyroid Session, I'll check out The Thyroid Summit as well. I was going to talk to the Dr about the saliva coritisol test as well. I'm guessing there is some problem here. I wonder if mine is a conversion issue as well, it is hard to say. I tried some topical progesterone but it made me feel worse, the dr said he thought that was common with nursing moms, in his experience.

I tried oral progesterone in the fall for two months after testing low during a month long hormone profile. It helped me sleep better (my main reason for taking it) but made me extremely irritable. I decided to stop taking it because my mood was so awful. This month I am tried progesterone cream. I started at day 15 like my doctor said, but it gave me said effects after two days, so I stopped. Then I waited until day 21 (which was when I was taking the oral progesterone) and took half the dose my doctor recommended, every other night (so essentially 1/4 the dose she wanted). This seemed to help me sleep better without side effects. I'll try it again that way next month.

I tried oral progesterone in the fall for two months after testing low during a month long hormone profile. It helped me sleep better (my main reason for taking it) but made me extremely irritable. I decided to stop taking it because my mood was so awful. This month I am tried progesterone cream. I started at day 15 like my doctor said, but it gave me said effects after two days, so I stopped. Then I waited until day 21 (which was when I was taking the oral progesterone) and took half the dose my doctor recommended, every other night (so essentially 1/4 the dose she wanted). This seemed to help me sleep better without side effects. I'll try it again that way next month.

Yes, I had an awful mood with it. I started at Day 22 and then went through about Day 3-4 of the next cycle. I'm not anxious to try it again at any dose with how bad I felt, it was the worst depression I've ever had. I'm sleeping pretty good now that I've been strict with my diet though, my only issue is my 1.5 yr old waking me up.

I'd be interested in hearing more about how you fixed your blood sugar.  I am diagnosed hypoglycemic.  The last doc didn't believe me (despite prior history and bloodwork) until they did a BMP for something else and called to make sure I made it home.  :lol:   I also have low blood pressure and a low body temp.  But they keep saying my thyroid is fine.  I had nodes in 2002, but last u/s in 2007 showed they were gone, and the last 8 times (in 3 years!) they've tested my tsh because I have all of the symptoms, it's been in normal range.  They did a full panel last time, but I don't think antibodies.  I'll ask about that again.  

When I went back to eating wheat and whatever I wanted, my blood sugars didn't jump as much, surprisingly.  The swelling even went down in my hands (I read something recently about IR or blood sugar issues being connected to swelling or carpal tunnel).  But I can't eat that or the other symptoms are far more severe.  I think partly it's because I eat relatively low carb without wheat in my diet, but a rare snack spikes my blood sugar and really throws me through a loop.  I am hoping they do hormone testing at my next doctor appointment, but I was on oral progesterone for dysmennorrhea and it did NOT help these issues, or really any issues. 

ETA: They tested me for Addison's Disease, I think.  They said they would and only called to tell me that something was off with my bloodwork, but that it didn't seem to be Addison's.  I have a lot of the symptoms, including severe salt cravings. 

Do you have your numbers? What doctors say is normal is not optimal. I'm still in range on my TSH but thankfully I got a doctor to finally run a full panel and antibodies. It has been 2.5 yrs for me. At first I just dismissed it because I was pregnant and everyone said it was because of that and it did get better after I had her. Of course now I see symptoms from years ago that I ignored because I felt pretty good. Of course with Hashi's you can go up and down and they could just be catching you at a "normal" time. I was surprised at my hormone test results, I thought it was off but I was shocked, I never suspected PCOS as  I don't fit the profile. It could be that your adrenals just aren't fried enough yet for Addisons. Isn't it lovely that they wait until your in really bad shape to start treatment.Hopefully you can find someone who will listen to you. I really like this guy I just went to, he wasn't perfect but he seemed to be up on a lot of the latest info. I found him from the Stop the Thyroid Madness recommendation list on the yahoo group.

I'd be interested in hearing more about how you fixed your blood sugar.  I am diagnosed hypoglycemic.  The last doc didn't believe me (despite prior history and bloodwork) until they did a BMP for something else and called to make sure I made it home.  :lol:   I also have low blood pressure and a low body temp.  But they keep saying my thyroid is fine.  I had nodes in 2002, but last u/s in 2007 showed they were gone, and the last 8 times (in 3 years!) they've tested my tsh because I have all of the symptoms, it's been in normal range.  They did a full panel last time, but I don't think antibodies.  I'll ask about that again.  

When I went back to eating wheat and whatever I wanted, my blood sugars didn't jump as much, surprisingly.  The swelling even went down in my hands (I read something recently about IR or blood sugar issues being connected to swelling or carpal tunnel).  But I can't eat that or the other symptoms are far more severe.  I think partly it's because I eat relatively low carb without wheat in my diet, but a rare snack spikes my blood sugar and really throws me through a loop.  I am hoping they do hormone testing at my next doctor appointment, but I was on oral progesterone for dysmennorrhea and it did NOT help these issues, or really any issues. 

ETA: They tested me for Addison's Disease, I think.  They said they would and only called to tell me that something was off with my bloodwork, but that it didn't seem to be Addison's.  I have a lot of the symptoms, including severe salt cravings. 

Well you don't fix your blood sugar per say... you just equalize and maintain.  I was in bad shape and had really run myself down after years and years of using carbs and sugar to mobilize myself.  I would do physically demanding work (mow the lawn) and have a coke to bring my sugar up, then get back to work and have another coke or muffin or something-- I was spiking and dropping blood sugar all day long and had done so (with varying degrees of severity) for my entire life.  My body was worn out.    I had bad pain with my cycle to the point of about to have a hysterectomy,   

So-- my "fix" 

I fed my body good, healthy, higher protein meals with highish fats and lower carbs.

Basically I ate every three hours-- not much, just all the time-- so my body never had to worry if it would have food again.

I took food with me everywhere I went.

ham

cheese (real cheese)

carrots

celery

chicken (cut up roasted ones form Costco)

bell peppers

I would wake myself up in the middle of the night and drink full fat chocolate milk (make your own with Hershey's syrup-- the store bought stuff is crap (in so many ways).

always have some purse food with you (Lara bars, Zone bars, peanut butter crackers-- none of these are great, but a little bit to keep the "fires stoked" is helpful--

in fact that is how you should view your body -- like a fire

simple carbs burn like paper and sugar burns like tissue paper. 

complex carbs burn like branches and small logs

meat burns like logs and fat burns like oak logs. 

If you see the fire starting to die, add something to keep it going, but try to have a little paper, but mostly logs and branches with some oak for the long burn.

It took about six weeks of this before I really noticed a difference.

My pain went away for the first time since I was 13 I had a period and didn't even no about it until I saw the mess-- NO PAIN for the first time ever!!

I didn't need my thyroid meds (before I couldn't go three days without my eyes drying up and burning like I had sand in them)

There were a lot of other symptoms but these were the most noticeable. 

Once I got the furnace going, the rest is maintaining the fire.  Do I mess up? sure.  I have even had some pain with my cycles a few times-- but I get right back on track.  I NEVER just eat simple carbs in the morning and I temper my simple carbs with protein and fat  (a doughnut is fine IF I eat an egg and some ham first and don't put sugar in my coffee)   (a coke by itsself  will most likely  make me suffer- but sometimes it is worth it :D )  (If I want dessert with dinner-- I had better have a decent amount of meat and veggies)  

Great!  That's what I try to do, but I slip off the wagon sometimes.  I'm also guilty of grabbing something sugary after strenuous activity because I know my blood sugar is dipping.  I think it might have been more even when I went back to wheat because I ate bread all.the.time. so it didn't have a chance to drop. Yes, even in the middle of the night I would get up for a snack.   :lol:

And AF relief would just be a miracle right now.  Seriously.