Menu

Homeschooling HS PE

Any form of physical activity with an instructional component can count as PE.

Sign him up for a sports class. Or teach him a sport you know. Or have him design a PE challenge - training for a long distance bike ride or half marathon.

My kids get credit for our home based rock climbing&mountaineering education that happens over the summer.

I could also give DS credit for his different martial arts classes or DD for her riding lessons (but I save those for extracurriculars)

PE is pretty much the easiest subject to homeschool.

Mine are very involved in martial arts, and we just used that.  I kept track of hours and had them do additional reading, which their Sensei wants them doing anyway.  The state diploma specifies two years of PE, so I count it for 9th and 10th.  Then when they turn 16, they can be instructors and do more volunteer projects, so I make it into an extracurricular at that point.

A relative of mine would like to homeschool PE only (her child attends public high school). Any good recommended programs for junior year? Thanks in advance!

Why?  Please understand I don't intend for this to sound rude in any way- I just can't understand why someone would want to homeschool PE only. There are seemingly limitless opportunities for PE within most school systems- from sports teams to intramurals, plus community teams, local dance/karate/spinning classes.

Is your relative looking to opt out of the PE classes at the public high school? Will she expect her child to get credit at her local school for work he does at home for PE?  Does the public school district have their own cyber school they could look into for PE guidelines?  What about any public cyber/charter for guidelines/plans?  If they want official credit from their school they should probably look into what would be acceptable first.

If the public school's PE program is just non-existant or not required then anything goes! This would just be exercise for fun, right?  Maybe throw in some history of particular games or rules of games...

I gave my son a 0.5 credits for a PE class we call "Water Safety."  He took a 40 hour life guarding class for certification, a 40 hour USA Sailing Instructor certification course and studied for and passed his Marine Board boating card for our state. He needed to do all of these things to get a summer, so it worked out perfectly.

He has to have PE to graduate and if he takes it at school he won't be able to take band. His mother wants him to continue with band because he doesn't play sports and he needs extra curriculars on his transcript. I did advise her to call the superintendent first. This whole thing was actually a suggestion by a school board member.  

Thanks!

He has to have PE to graduate and if he takes it at school he won't be able to take band. His mother wants him to continue with band because he doesn't play sports and he needs extra curriculars on his transcript. I did advise her to call the superintendent first. This whole thing was actually a suggestion by a school board member.  

Thanks!

Does she know for sure that band won't count as PE? In some districts, sports, cheerleading, and band all count as PE. I would double-check for sure. 

Thanks!

A school board member would usually have no idea about the requirements, unless they happened to be a retired administrator or something. I wouldn't get too far until she gets word from the principal. A lot of students don't want to take PE and try to get out of it in any way possible, and this could likely be seen as such an attempt. I would look for something for credit - some private schools here offer PE over the summer for students who want to take more academic classes during the year.

If she gets approval, the best bet would be a specific set of lessons or activity, in my opinion, leading up to some sort of proficiency.

Our school district offers two different PE classes online for high school students - Lifetime Personal Fitness and Recreational Sports. You sign up usually thru the school councilor for the class, but do the work independent study. DS18 did both classes so that he would have room in his schedule for things he liked better. They required logs of hours and had some online quizzes.

Recreational sports was my favorite. We went out and played frisbee golf or hiked the trails near our house with the dogs every day (i was his exercise buddy). It was a blast!

The trick is that you have to have something that the school district will accept for credit.

Question: Does going outside every day playing with brother or neighborhood kids count as PE?  Playing, I mean baseball and basketball.   There's no instructional component.

My personal feeling would be that one would be stretching it a lot to make this PE. It's a bit like saying that because they made change while selling concessions at track meets, that they took a basic math class.

Does she know for sure that they would accept homeschool PE for the graduation requirement?

This is what I would wonder too.  Is PE offered in summer school?  That was when I took it so I could have my German and Band class during the year.  I know the school we are looking at now says they'll only take "accredited" classes to add to their transcript and meet graduation requirements.  Perhaps he should look into duel enrollment to ensure accreditation or get something in writing from the counselor. 

Question: Does going outside every day playing with brother or neighborhood kids count as PE?  Playing, I mean baseball and basketball.   There's no instructional component.

An instructional component is generally required. You should be able to look up the specifics for your state. 

Could you add one in? For example...Dad goes out with highschool student occasionally to work on specific skills. Other times, Dad and student watch games together and analyze strategy, form, skills etc...

Or, student takes a class at a Y, and follows that up with lots of outside playtime, practicing what was taught in pick-up games. 

I'd count it as part of the time if I could see instruction happens at some point. 

If the school system permits the independent study at home course to count toward their requirements, check out Familytimefitness.

http://www.familytimefitness.com/fitness4families/Fitness4HomeFamiliesLandingPage.php

advantages: lesson plans and instructional component, etc. 

I think (but your friend will need to verify) that the basketball, running, and 12 week foundational strength are the high school level programs.

I'd think summer school options too.   If I were in that situation, I'd look into local health/athletic club or gym or fitness center or local parks/rec department for classes.  If the student can check into a regular class, then maybe the school would accept that with regular attendance with an outside instructor or something?

check with the rules and conditions of the school for transfer credit for this kind of course.  If it has an outside instructor component,it might transfer easier (but that is a guess on my part.)

The PE requirements for high school graduation for my state only applies to public school and private schools.  It does not apply to home educated students.  Even most colleges that I looked up do not require a PE as a required course for admission.  For example, here are the requirements for FSU:

• 4 units of English, at least three with substantial writing requirements
  • 4 units of mathematics at the Algebra I level and higher
  • 3 units of natural science, at least two with laboratory experience
  • 3 units of social science
  • 2 sequential units of the same foreign language or American Sign Language
  • 2 elective units, preferably in the above subject areas

Here are requirements for applying to Indiana University:

• 8 credits (semesters) of English, such as literature, grammar, composition, and journalism
  • 7 credits (semesters) of mathematics, including 4 credits of algebra and 2 credits of geometry (or an equivalent 6 credits of integrated algebra and geometry) and 1 credit of pre-calculus, trigonometry, or calculus.
  • 6 credits (semesters) of social sciences, including 2 credits of U.S. history; 2 credits of world history/civilization/geography; and 2 additional credits in government, economics, sociology, history, or similar topics
  • 6 credits (semesters) of sciences, including at least 4 credits of laboratory sciences—biology, chemistry, or physics
  • 4 credits (semesters) of world languages
  • 3 or more credits (semesters) of additional college-preparatory courses. Additional mathematics credits are recommended for students intending to pursue a science degree and additional world language credits are recommended for all students.

So as a homeschooler in the state of Florida, I believe this PE requirement is not an issue.  However, a lot of homeschoolers follow the requirements for the public and private school anyway for "just in case" someone will ask for it.  I am thinking maybe I should have 1 credit of PE just in case I needed later on for some reason.  Because we are challenged with time, I don't really want to drive somewhere to take a lesson. So I was hoping we can do PE "at home."