Menu

Washer/dryer recommendations please!

lamolina

Yes, I know this has been discussed but not for a bit and the models change quickly! We just moved back to the US and need a washer and electric dryer. I am shocked at the prices!

Wondering if you all like your front loaders? I am tentative about buying one because I can not stand any musty mildew smell. I know to leave the door open, etc, but do they really smell fine if you do that?

Brand recommendations? I am thinking Samsung, Electrolux, or LG. Thoughts or experiences with those?

Or, should I stick with a top loading with agitator model? I know they use more water, etc, but they are all I have ever had!

Thanks for any help and suggestions!!

I've had two front loaders.  Neither have had any odor at all. I do loosely follow the manufacturer's recommendations as far as leaving the door cracked (you don't have to leave it fully open) and running a machine cleaning cycle occasionally.  My prior set were made by Whirlpool.  They served us well for a good long while, but I know they've had their share of problems reported.  Currently I have LGs, and I really like them.

There have been threads in the past with boardies recommending Speed Queen brand washers.  After replacing washers and dryers every 5 years (Whirlpool, Hotpoint) or so, my next one is gonna be a Speed Queen.  I don't need bells and whistles and I'm not even worried about the noise.  I just want something that cleans (my current does a lousy job) and lasts.

I just replaced my 10 y/o refrigerator. Since I bought it the same time as my washer and dryer, I figure they are next. So I looked... While we are helping OP can we discuss the lack of center whatever its called in top loaders? Do they fill with water like the older models? Are they hard on clothes? How does it work not having that center deal to move the clothes around? Do the clothes rinse well? I do have my eyes on a top loader Whirlpool washer and dryer at Lowe's.

There have been threads in the past with boardies recommending Speed Queen brand washers. After replacing washers and dryers every 5 years (Whirlpool, Hotpoint) or so, my next one is gonna be a Speed Queen. I don't need bells and whistles and I'm not even worried about the noise. I just want something that cleans (my current does a lousy job) and lasts.

Oh my goodness, I read Speed Queen reviews for several years. When my washer broke (dryer was already gone and I hung clothes), I ran out and got a Speed Queen washer and dryer. That was almost two years ago. My heart is still filled with happiness when I use these machines.

Bottom line is the washer gets clothes -- including ds's white (well, not exactly white when they go in the machine, lol) -- clean, clean, clean. Clothes are never ripped or hurt in any way. And the machine holds a lot.

I do feel bad, environmentally, about water use, but I like the clean part. But one wash and everything is sparkling.

I like that the parts are all mechanical. No computerized dials. Every time I have broken the computer controls on an appliance, I have been told that it is cheaper to buy new than to fix.

Be aware, SQ is sold in appliance stores, not big box stores. The models are essentially identical, just a little add on switch for extra rinse, extra tumble on the upper models. IMO, the basic model is best.

Guest kmathew5

We have two front-loaders.  Love the Frigidaire, the LG is a huge disappointment.  The lint trap is impossible to clean without spilling water.  I had to call service to reset the electronics within the first month.  We've had multiple incidents where the load was not drained/spun properly.  The door & gasket gets filthy even with regular cleaning.  Since buying the LG even my husband complains about the smell of the laundry room.  Yes, we had it professionally installed.

There are three nice features:  the end of cycle tone, countdown timer, and the super quick cycle.

I've had it for only a year.  If I could afford to replace it, my LG would be on the curb.

Yes, I know this has been discussed but not for a bit and the models change quickly! We just moved back to the US and need a washer and electric dryer. I am shocked at the prices!

Wondering if you all like your front loaders? I am tentative about buying one because I can not stand any musty mildew smell. I know to leave the door open, etc, but do they really smell fine if you do that?

Brand recommendations? I am thinking Samsung, Electrolux, or LG. Thoughts or experiences with those?

Or, should I stick with a top loading with agitator model? I know they use more water, etc, but they are all I have ever had!

Thanks for any help and suggestions!!

I have a front-loading Frigidaire--not one of the big girnomous monster machines, but a smaller, stackable washer/dryer set. The year I bought them (2005) they were Consumer Report's best buy.

I use only Amway laundry products. I have never left the door open. I have never cleaned around the rubber thingie around the door. I have never, ever had problems with mildew-y smells.

I love my front-loader. :-)