Menu

Geometry with a solutions manual?

My Father's World sells Jacob's geometry with a teacher's guide--not sure if it is as complete as what you are looking for.  A friend of mine has a high schooler using it and I thought she told me that the TG was very complete, but I'm hoping someone here might chime in because your question made me curious.

Betsy

My Father's World sells Jacob's geometry with a teacher's guide--not sure if it is as complete as what you are looking for.  A friend of mine has a high schooler using it and I thought she told me that the TG was very complete, but I'm hoping someone here might chime in because your question made me curious.

Betsy

I have the older version they sold before it went out of print.  They did get reprint rights to the text, answers, and test book.  I asked them for a bit more detail because I was curious.

They did not get reprint rights on the sections of the teacher's book that was geared for classroom teaching notes. Those were extra teaching ideas and not answers/solutions.  But the other part of teacher book is same as I have.

The section with answers are more than "just" answers when needed.   I'd call it a solutions manuals/answer key.  When my oldest daughter used Jacobs we didn't use the classroom section, so the "answers/solutions" was enough for us. 

hope some of that helps.

I have the older version they sold before it went out of print.  They did get reprint rights to the text, answers, and test book.  I asked them for a bit more detail because I was curious.

They did not get reprint rights on the sections of the teacher's book that was geared for classroom teaching notes. Those were extra teaching ideas and not answers/solutions.  But the other part of teacher book is same as I have.

The section with answers are more than "just" answers when needed.   I'd call it a solutions manuals/answer key.  When my oldest daughter used Jacobs we didn't use the classroom section, so the "answers/solutions" was enough for us. 

hope some of that helps.

Thanks!  We are starting Algebra this fall with Saxon but I want to do a separate Geometry in 2015--so this is helpful, as well as the other ideas on this thread--will have to start researching.

Betsy

Thanks!  We are starting Algebra this fall with Saxon but I want to do a separate Geometry in 2015--so this is helpful, as well as the other ideas on this thread--will have to start researching.

Betsy

In case you aren't aware, Saxon does have a sequence with a completely separate geometry course. 

Just one general comment on geometry solutions manuals - please forgive me if you are already aware, but I'd like to point this out to people who are not:

it is very typical for geometry problems to have several possible ways to a solution. This is particularly true for geometry proofs. So, if your student's solutions does not match the answer in the solution manual, the solution can still be entirely correct. If you want to evaluate your student's work, you need to be able to work through your student's solution to check whether it is a valid one. Geometry is more of an art, and there is a lot of room for creativity.

Just one general comment on geometry solutions manuals - please forgive me if you are already aware, but I'd like to point this out to people who are not:

it is very typical for geometry problems to have several possible ways to a solution. This is particularly true for geometry proofs. So, if your student's solutions does not match the answer in the solution manual, the solution can still be entirely correct. If you want to evaluate your student's work, you need to be able to work through your student's solution to check whether it is a valid one. Geometry is more of an art, and there is a lot of room for creativity.

If you need a bit of extra help with this, check with your local library and see if they offer free online tutoring. My library offers it in every subject via Brain Fuse. 

Whenever we weren't completely sure of a solution, we just hopped online and had someone else check it out! 

We've been super happy with BJU Geometry (we use the dvd option).  We have a teacher's guide with worked out problems.  However,   I agree about more than one way to solve in geometry. There's more than one way to solve.   I needed a teacher for geometry and I could not be more pleased.

I don't really like this answer (because I want things to be cut & dried), but I do agree with it.  I think geometry is the most "loosey-goosey" of all the regular high school maths. 

I have found geo easiest to teach and grade by simply doing the problems alongside my kids. It is faster and easier for me this way than to work backward and try to decide if their answer is correct. If u just go ahead and do the problems, I can tell by simply glancing at their answer whether r not their logic matches.

If you need a bit of extra help with this, check with your local library and see if they offer free online tutoring. My library offers it in every subject via Brain Fuse. 

Whenever we weren't completely sure of a solution, we just hopped online and had someone else check it out! 

Hahaha, that's funny.  My little town has a tiny library.  When I asked about e-books the librarian looked at me like I was speaking gibberish (the other girl said it would be several years before they get those).... I miss Charlotte, NC.  

I really appreciate all the help, we're secular and broke so it looks like I'm going to have to go with Jergensens.  Not that I have an issue with it exactly just a general feeling of discontent.... that may be due to the subject matter though, Geometry is boring. 

I have found geo easiest to teach and grade by simply doing the problems alongside my kids. It is faster and easier for me this way than to work backward and try to decide if their answer is correct. If u just go ahead and do the problems, I can tell by simply glancing at their answer whether r not their logic matches.

Yep, that's the plan.  I'll still need the solutions manual to see where I went wrong  :blush: .

Well, I have seen both my kids do certain proofs completely different than I would have done them ;-)

In those instances I had them talk me through their solution to evaluate.

And to be honest, for some problems "simply glancing" did not cut it for me - even though I believe I am rather good at math. Glancing at all the math DS wrote down in the two hour process of solving a problem would have been rather unproductive.

Well, I have seen both my kids do certain proofs completely different than I would have done them ;-)

In those instances I had them talk me through their solution to evaluate.

And to be honest, for some problems "simply glancing" did not cut it for me - even though I believe I am rather good at math. Glancing at all the math DS wrote down in the two hour process of solving a problem would have been rather unproductive.

That may be the case with AoPS, but I haven't found it to be true with the typical high school geo book. Since I have already worked through the proof and I know exactly what is being looked for, I can quickly read through the proof and know if it is correct. oTOH, if I simply grade cold, I end up having to work through the proof anyway to see if their answer is correct as well as the key's.