Menu

Who's going to tackle SUMMER with me?

We have fallen a bit behind this year.  So we will be continuing most subjects throughout the summer.  Which is okay, we took last summer off and I sure regreted it. It seemed like they forgot e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g we had learned the year before.  We might do something fun for science also.

We are fairly relaxed during the school year but we do continue schooling in the summer with long breaks for church camp, weeks at the grandparents, family vacation etc.

We will continue math through the summer. We will add in snap circuits for DS7 after his weekly maker workshop wraps up. DS7 is also demanding a geology course now that the snow has melted. DS5 is more flexible. He is still happy to tag along. DS7 may also learn to sail this summer.

We are doing chemistry, math and programming this summer. For fun, we are going to work through some survival and life skills e.g. setting snares to catch rodent garden pests, basic carpentry, etc. My oldest also really wants to see if he can use a bow drill to start a fire. My youngest wants to perfect his s'more making.

I'm working on all the things I mean to work on for the rest of the year. Currently, I'm having "book club," which means the children can choose from a pre-approved list of books that I have to read for "school." Then, once they finish and fill out a very small book report they get a coupon-- like at the library. Coupons are for things such as a pack of gum, skipping 1 homeschool subject, buying popsicles at the store...you know, things that make it fun.

The kids have already started and my one child, who I have never seen read ANYTHING besides Garfield comics, has plowed through two books. The goal is to up their reading levels, mainly using Caldecott winners and older books that have a bit of a tougher vocabulary or higher Lexile number.

Anyway, hoping to work on either history or geography, plus continuing to plod along in math.

As I live in the desert-- too hot to enjoy summer anyway. Hitting close to 100 next week.

Math: Continue the course (even though it changes every few hours)

Reading: History centric reading via SoTW v1, participate in the Library Reading Program, 1 chapter book a week, non fiction.

Writing: A 1pg essay each week on a Topic of Choice. Maintain their book log.

Music: 4x a week until school lets out, then 2x a week until school resumes in the Fall with time off for travel/camp/whatever

Swimming: 3x a week, minimum.

Running: Couch to 5K training adjusted to span 3 months, not 2.

In the fall, we are going to add in Geography (worksheets and reading) Science (reading textbooks) and continue History (reading SoTW)

My younger son is coming home from private school where he is in 3rd grade.  My goals for him are to finish up Rod and Staff Math 4 (which he would have done if he hadn't gone back to school this year), get back on track with AAS (as opposed to random lists of spelling words at school), and do TOG Roman Empire (because when last he was homeschooled we didn't finish that part of ancient history, and we are moving on to middle ages for 4th grade).  While math will be regular lessons, I plan to do AAS and TOG light.  He is interested in architecture and somewhere I have a free downloaded curriculum I may use as well.

My older son will stay at private school and will have 3 novels and study guides he will have to complete over the summer as well as IXL math.  He will most likely be selected for Little League All Stars which means weeks and weeks of two a day practices, which sort of puts a damper on everything else.

I made out our summer schedule yesterday. DD will continue doing Fred and Khan Academy plus additional drill. We will continue world geography, but in a fun, interest driven way. We are almost done with a lit unit, and will do one more. Spelling is condensed into a weekly spelling bee, and typing and penmanship are only 3 times a week, while I'll have her do Read Theory once a week, and Heathen Studies twice a week.

I'm basically going to have her do schoolwork for 2 hours or so, then cutting her loose, but with limited screen time. She'll have a pool pass, we''ll do AMF bowling, and Friday morning a summer movie pass program. She'll also continue gymnastics and do the summer reading program.

DS will be in child care 3 days/week. He'll do the reading program, probably go bowling with us. I also want to take them to a few museums, splash park, etc.

I'll be doing a 180 hour externship at the juvenile court and taking a five week evening course, so there will be a lot of juggling and coordinating.

Not to mention OT and PT appointments and Dr. Appointments.

Summer might tackle me!

We fell behind when my mother became very ill and passed away, so we will be continuing some of our school work into the summer.  We are also going to do some study to make next year a little easier. Here are the study plans right now. You can see more details about the curricula in my signature link.

Together:

Astronomy (I figure we can stay out late and drive far out into the countryside to get a really good look at the sky.)

Geography (memorize US states, capitals, and learn about different regions of the US)

Dd:

Finish US History and Alg 2

Begin Economics

Ds:

Continue LA and math 

Continue BJU 5th US history online (study of 20th century)

Might do an economics study with ds, too

Our plan, around summer camps and traveling and lake days....

DAILY Dd1 (9) and dd2 (6) will both do-

Xtramath

Geography on sheppardsoftware

Latin

This all takes about 20 minutes for each of them

Dd1 will also do-

Dance Mat Typing (5-10 minutes)

BA/CWP (15-20 minutes)

Dd2 will also do-

Hooked on Phonics app (10-15 minutes)

M/W/F

Dd1-Writing (10-15 minutes)

Dd2-Phonics Pathways (5-10 minutes)

T/TH

Dd1-Spelling (10 minutes)

Dd2-Miquon (10-15 minutes)

They will both be required to read. Dd1 reads about 3 hours per day, dd2 is still learning, so I keep it to 2-3 ten minute sessions spread throughout the day.

Our summer break of 6-8 weeks starts this week.

I plan to do: Nothing.

Things may happen throughout the course of the break. We might get very bored of playing in the creek, reading most of the day, doing a little cleaning here and there, riding our bikes around, and writing our fool heads off on our creative projects....but I don't think so.

We are going to work on a some experiments from this really cool book from the Ben Franklin Institute. We will continue with American History-

The revolution and go on lots of field trips related to that. We will garden and do some simple botany studies. And we will read.

We're taking two weeks off now while I take my post license course for real estate. Then we'll just continue on with our curriculum until it's done. We won't start new curriculum until after Labor Day. We'll get a break from some things and not from others. We'll always have a good book going, though.