Menu

Pants for the skinny preschooler

mamaraby

My 4yo has always been difficult to buy pants for, but it's gotten worse lately as she's grown quite a bit height wise. She needs a 5T for the length, but even with the adjustable waist for jeans, she looks a bit like she's swimming in them. It's not all that much better with leggings/elastic waist pants which can also be too wide. The 4Ts are just ridiculously short.

It looks like most brands don't offer a slim until you get to a 6. Are there brands out there that offer a slim in a 4/5? Any other suggestions pants-wise?

Shirts can also be a little problematic because of her long torso. Any suggestions for brands to best fit a tall, skinny, little girl?

Dd wore mostly leggings at that age. But we still have the problem at 9yo. She doesn't like the look of skinny jeans and those tend to have normal-sized waists anyway so she'd still have to cinch it in. Right now her waist fits an 8--still needs to be cinched in--but she really could use a 10 for length. But cinching in that much of the waist is uncomfortable to her. So she wears pants that are just barely long enough. Thankfully it's shorts weather!

Good luck finding the right pants for your dd!

Gymboree has some skinny jeans right now that seem extra long to me. You could maybe get a size smaller and have the right length. I'm not sure if they are extra long but I keep having to cuff them for my daughter and I don't usually have that issue.

I can usually find slim fit pants for my son at the Children's Place website, not sure if they have them for girls though.

At that age, I had to buy dds jeans at Cavendars.. not 5T, as others said, just a 5. And the brand was 20X I think. Occasionally I could find a slim at JCP. I had good luck w/ longer shirts there, too. But that was 10 years ago, so....

The toddler sizes usually are wider, so try girls' 4/5. Old Navy and Gap carry slim sizes online starting at size 5. Target has slim sizes as well. Even better if it's slim + adjustable waist! I know I've bought those from Target and Gap in the past.

We looked at Old Navy today, but at least in their jeans, the ankle was so tight in the skinny jean that she didn't care for it. They were much nicer in the hip area, though. Neither Target or Farm & Fleet has slims and it would be nice if we didn't have to cinch up the waist so much. As another poster mentioned, she can find that a bit uncomfortable.

I will definitely try some of the brands/stores mentioned. I didn't know that about the "T" sizes. Three children and I still learn something new every day. :0)

The toddler sizes usually are wider, so try girls' 4/5. Old Navy and Gap carry slim sizes online starting at size 5. Target has slim sizes as well. Even better if it's slim + adjustable waist! I know I've bought those from Target and Gap in the past.

Old Navy's slim seems to start at size 6 - at least that's what they told me and our local Target didn't have any slims in the store, but maybe it's just the wrong time to buy pants? I swear the kid has grown several inches in the last month.

Old Navy's slim seems to start at size 6 - at least that's what they told me and our local Target didn't have any slims in the store, but maybe it's just the wrong time to buy pants? I swear the kid has grown several inches in the last month.

Definitely the wrong time to buy pants. It's like trying to buy shorts in August. My DS always has growth spurts right when the seasons are changing but the stores have moved on to the full next season! :)

There's a pair of Rockstar denim capris on oldnavy.com that come in 5 slim. The pickings are slim though (bad pun but true). I tried to link them and my phone's head exploded.

We did stretch pants with a stitch in the back until DD hit 7slims. It got easier once she got to junior sizes and I was lulled into a false sense of complacency. This weekend we needed to shop for a formal dress in a 00 (that's double zero). WHEN did this become a thing? Basically, size inflation has knocked the thin girl out of several stores. She wasn't being picky. In two malls and several department stores we found literally ONE dress that fit her.

Sorry. OP didn't need that crystal ball.