Menu

is good penmanship important?

So I'm thinking about next year with my 5.5 year old and I started thinking about handwriting. Right now I'm at a point where I feel like using a book like zaner bloser, hwot,etc is a waste of time. He writes plenty on his own time and I will require him to write well enough so I can read it if its an assignment. But is there really a good reason to formally sit down and have him practice lines of the same letter?

My ugly penmanship has never affected my life and I just see no point to it. Am I missing something?

Of course it's important. It's a courtesy to others, if nothing else. If you have something important to write--a letter to a loved one, directions to your house, a thank-you note for a gift--it would certainly help if the recipients could actually read it. We will not always have access to computers and printers.

Perhaps you are unaware of the people who suffered through trying to read things you have written during your life.

Of course it's important. It's a courtesy to others, if nothing else. If you have something important to write--a letter to a loved one, directions to your house, a thank-you note for a gift--it would certainly help if the recipients could actually read it. We will not always have access to computers and printers.

Perhaps you are unaware of the people who suffered through trying to read things you have written during your life.

Oh I understand needing to write legibly but if he can learn that on his own when he's writing the many things he writes(stories, letters, etc.) Is formally having him write lines of letters necessary? He writes constantly for fun and his handwriting has certainly improved over the last year.

Oh I understand needing to write legibly but if he can learn that on his own when he's writing the many things he writes(stories, letters, etc.) Is formally having him write lines of letters necessary? He writes constantly for fun and his handwriting has certainly improved over the last year.

At that age, my boys spent 10 minutes per weekday on handwriting and we consider it done.  They do have better handwriting than me.  My handwriting looks like computer print.  I figured 10 minutes per day isn't that long to be considered a time-waster.

I would teach it for the following reasons: 1) legibility, 2) flow - they need to form letters properly so that their writing flows efficiently, and 3) there is research that suggest there are positive neurological effects of learning handwriting

Hmmm... Legibility I get but am unconvinced he can't teach it to himself. Flow is something I'll have to consider more since I haven't before. The research linked to only talks about writing as opposed to typing, not formal handwriting instruction over practicing it yourself. Since my son is doing that on his own he's already getting the benefits that the research has unveiled.

Thanks for the input! Now I will sleep and think about the flow of hand writing in the morning

At that age, my boys spent 10 minutes per weekday on handwriting and we consider it done. They do have better handwriting than me. My handwriting looks like computer print. I figured 10 minutes per day isn't that long to be considered a time-waster.

My fear is that even that small 10 minutes will make him not want to write as much on his free time. Since he is so creative with his writing I don't want to negatively affect it by forcing handwriting practice. This is a fear that probably stems from my experiences in school that made me eventually hate writing, handwriting practice being one of them. Although I enjoy writing again it took along time to get back to enjoying it.

My fear is that even that small 10 minutes will make him not want to write as much on his free time. Since he is so creative with his writing I don't want to negatively affect it by forcing handwriting practice. This is a fear that probably stems from my experiences in school that made me eventually hate writing, handwriting practice being one of them. Although I enjoy writing again it took along time to get back to enjoying it.

Have you seen Handwriting Without Tears' books? One page at the k-1st level has maybe 5-8 copies of a letter to write. That's it.  No endless copying.  You do your best copy a few times, and it is more effective than 20 increasingly worse copies of the same letter.

Another option is to teach cursive.  I started my dd doing cursive at 6.  Learning the flow of one letter into the next has improved her print handwriting as well.

Definitely don't want to squash his enthusiasm for writing! I wouldn't force it on him.  But I would also see if he's interested.

I would teach it for the following reasons: 1) legibility, 2) flow - they need to form letters properly so that their writing flows efficiently, and 3) there is research that suggest there are positive neurological effects of learning handwriting 

Exactly!!!

I was going to give up on it, as I couldn't see the point, until I read the research. Wow, who would have known that!!!

Just like crawling is important for a baby's brain development, so is cursive writing to a child!

My ds 9 now has lovely handwriting, so I'm so glad it was continued. The 5 mins a day commitment is worth the lifelong benefit!!! :laugh:

I think that learning how to read a variety of cursive scripts is more important than one's writing abilities. There are many documents which are not important enough to the world in general to have a block script translation, but that are locally important; things like letters between great-grandparents, or captions on old photographs. Without training in cursive, those items would become unreadable.

I think that learning how to read a variety of cursive scripts is more important than one's writing abilities. There are many documents which are not important enough to the world in general to have a block script translation, but that are locally important; things like letters between great-grandparents, or captions on old photographs. Without training in cursive, those items would become unreadable.

I think it would be quite hard to learn to read the cursive letters without doing the letter formation themselves. And the time and effort it would take learning to read it, they would be better off just writing them anyway- IMHO that is. :001_smile:

Oh I should have specified I'm not talking about cursive. Its mainly since he know how to write all the letter already is there a point to require any formal practice if he get practice through writing on his own.

Maybe I'll just do cursive.

Exactly!!!

I was going to give up on it, as I couldn't see the point, until I read the research. Wow, who would have known that!!!

Just like crawling is important for a baby's brain development, so is cursive writing to a child!

My ds 9 now has lovely handwriting, so I'm so glad it was continued. The 5 mins a day commitment is worth the lifelong benefit!!! :laugh:

So, you think that a child, on his own, will improve his own handwriting? Good luck with that.  :seeya:

I would definitely do cursive.

(FWIW, my own handwriting is horrible, but not for lack of trying in elementary school.  It's a motor thing.  The only time it was ever a drawback was during the 3-hours-of-straight-writing-as-fast-as-possible, multiple-blue-book exams in law school.  With a little luck, blue books will be obsolete by the time my kids get to that age.)

All my kids have identified motor issues, and handwriting was the only area in school where I got an "unsatisfactory" on my report card. But, as an adult, I have had people compliment my handwriting and it is completely legible.

I have not done formal handwriting with my youngest because I personally haven't seen it benefit my kids and it's just not worth the fight. She is getting better naturally through writing everyday. Oldest is legible but slow, despite my attempts at intervention. I did do formal handwriting for years with my second daughter who never really improved until a maturity thing hit in about seventh grade. She still starts letters in the wrong places even having been corrected for years. My third I never did intensive handwriting with and she has the best handwriting, but her problems are more with gross motor than fine motor. Anyway my point is with my older ones is that they all have weaknesses and the results were the same despite how much formal handwriting we did, so I'm not inclined to fight over it with my youngest.

I will start cursive with her next year and I will have to use a program that requires short bursts if it's going to get done.

For all the reasons Ellie mentioned, legible handwriting is important.  I don't think it needs to be beautiful or perfect, but it does need to be legible.  I think a formal handwriting program with is the easiest way to do that, and nips poor penmanship habits in the bud.  My daughter attended public school through 5th grade, and trying to fix her poor penmanship habits at that late age was torture for both of us.  I am teaching my son formal handwriting in third grade, and I have no bad habits to break with him, so it is much easier on both of us.  I think if he practices formal handwriting a few minutes per day, by the time he has to crank out paragraphs and compositions in 5th grade he won't have to think about letter formation, he can concentrate on honing the skill you are teaching instead.  Much like basketball players don't think about how to dribble and can instead concentrate on where their opponents are on the court.  For all the flap about computers replacing pens (and that flap has been going on for years now), everyone I know still carries and uses a pen, so it is important.

I taught my girls to write without a book, but ... In the first grade, I did get penmanship books.  Mostly, I am lazy about creating copywork for the elementary, and the resources are vast for this level.  I keep the girls copying all the way through high school for any number of reasons, and legibile writing is only one.

Handwriting and the brain are connected. Teaching the child to write in cursive, the correct way, beautifully, is more about training the eye to see, and is good exercise for the brain. They learn how to correctively perceive the formation of the letters, they learn perseverance as they practice the strokes, they learn positive and negative space. They learn precision. 

It's not 'just' handwriting. 

My children start writing in cursive and that is all I allow for schoolwork. We've recently started using the French cursive style which is very beautiful and fun. Yes, they are young, but when you teach them stroke by stroke, it is more than doable, and you might be underestimating their abilities if you require less. 

So, you think that a child, on his own, will improve his own handwriting? Good luck with that. :seeya:

You're snotty attitude isn't useful and is quite disrespectful. My son writes daily for fun, his handwriting is much better than it was a year ago. So yes,he is improving his own handwriting by practice. Sorry to hear yours didn't.

Handwriting and the brain are connected. Teaching the child to write in cursive, the correct way, beautifully, is more about training the eye to see, and is good exercise for the brain. They learn how to correctively perceive the formation of the letters, they learn perseverance as they practice the strokes, they learn positive and negative space. They learn precision.

It's not 'just' handwriting.

My children start writing in cursive and that is all I allow for schoolwork. We've recently started using the French cursive style which is very beautiful and fun. Yes, they are young, but when you teach them stroke by stroke, it is more than doable, and you might be underestimating their abilities if you require less.

I clarified above I'm not talking about cursive. I know the importance in that. I'm talking about formal practice ofmanuscript. Sorry for the confusion.

You're snotty attitude isn't useful and is quite disrespectful. My son writes daily for fun, his handwriting is much better than it was a year ago. So yes,he is improving his own handwriting by practice. Sorry to hear yours didn't.

All right then. Sorry. Usually, people who don't want to know what we think include JAWM in their messages.

All right then. Sorry. Usually, people who don't want to know what we think include JAWM in their messages.

I do want to know what you think but that doesn't mean it needs to be done in a condescending way as if am wrong to think what I think.

So I'm thinking about next year with my 5.5 year old and I started thinking about handwriting. Right now I'm at a point where I feel like using a book like zaner bloser, hwot,etc is a waste of time. He writes plenty on his own time and I will require him to write well enough so I can read it if its an assignment. But is there really a good reason to formally sit down and have him practice lines of the same letter?

My ugly penmanship has never affected my life and I just see no point to it. Am I missing something?

If he writes for fun, his handwriting is improving with practice, it's legible, and if he has no problems with letter formation (in other words, he doesn't do funky things like start letters at the wrong point, go from bottom to top, write them clockwise etc...), then I wouldn't do a handwriting program. 

If he is forming any letters incorrectly, then I would try to nip that in the bud, especially since he likes to write so much. Using a program that focuses on letter formation (such as HWOT) rather than voluminous output, only takes a few minutes a day and isn't likely to make him dislike writing otherwise. (And doing things like letting him put a star or a small sticker above his best formed letter or word helps motivate kids to work on neatness.)

I think good penmanship is important and has value, but it sounds to me like he may already have the ground-work laid that a program would seek to do. I'd watch how he writes, take note of any issues you see, and then consider whether a program would address those.

Honestly, to me he sounds like his handwriting skills are advanced for a 5-year-old, so unless there are formation issues, I don't think you have a lot to be concerned about. HTH some! Merry :-)

Obviously it's not critical, since most of the men I know and some of the women write chicken scratch. Universities here are moving towards computer-based exams and I'm not at all sure that when my kids get to uni, they'll be writing essays in long hand.

I taught myself Spencerian in university, so perhaps I am the first person on earth ever to improve his own handwriting.

Obviously it's not critical, since most of the men I know and some of the women write chicken scratch. Universities here are moving towards computer-based exams and I'm not at all sure that when my kids get to uni, they'll be writing essays in long hand.

I taught myself Spencerian in university, so perhaps I am the first person on earth ever to improve his own handwriting.

LOL. http://fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/forum/12-penmanship/

hjffkj, I agree with MerryAtHope, if he is writing quite a bit on his own, especially at that age, that is great!  A strictly followed daily handwriting program for manuscript probably isn't necessary.   And there are plenty of people with lousy handwriting that make it just fine in the world, so no, it is not absolutely the most necessary skill a child must acquire.  

I will say, though, that my dad, my husband and my brother and my nephew all have fairly lousy handwriting.  And it has not improved over time.  This has caused some issues with my nephew in college now.  There have been times he has regretted that his handwriting is not very legible.  

Since your child is still young, I don't think you would need to make this a big thing at all.  But I would suggest that if there are certain letters he is not forming legibly or seems to struggle with, then helping him develop good muscle memory for those particular letters and the flow of the writing while he is still young enough and hopefully flexible enough to listen to you may help prevent issues later on as the need for more legible handwriting increases.  It doesn't have to be long or arduous.  It can even be fun.  Just maybe a line of copywork a day (words perhaps, like from a quote of a movie he likes or a book he is fond of) where he then circles the letters that most closely resemble the letters he was trying to mimic.  No criticism from you.  He judges for himself which are the closest, then copies the line again to see if he can come even closer, if he thinks he needs to.  I found when I made tiny bits of copy work part of our daily routine, and in a subject they had interest, and then had them review what they thought looked right or closest, they didn't mind the copywork and actually sometimes request it.   It is just another skill set we work on for a few minutes as needed.  Now we do the same for cursive.

You could also make his love of writing into handwriting practice on your own.  Could you make a book together - let him come up with the ideas for the story, draw the pictures, and dictate what each page should say to you (write it on separate paper).  Then each day you could have him copy a sentence for his story into his book.

Or if he is a history or science kid, could you have him keep a history notebook or a science notebook where he could copy down a sentence about whatever he wants to remember?  

Writing on a whiteboard is an immensely fun activity for my kid this age for some unknown reason - she will just sit and write letters, practice joining cursive letters together, etc., while there would be no way on earth she would do the equivalent amount of writing in a handwriting workbook.  So I understand where you are coming from with that.  

My thinking is that if you are having him do copywork almost daily and watching/correcting any penmanship issues as they arise, you are probably OK.  You may want to have a handwriting book on hand though so that if, for example, he is forming a particular letter wrong, you have some pages available to really target and practice that particular letter (and words containing that letter) until it is correct.