Menu

Best Grammar Course

I'm trying to say ahead of LegoMan :) I'd like to start working through a grammar course. One that is incredibly thorough and will not only drastically improve my understanding but allow be to be an effective teacher in terms of grammar and diagramming. I need something I can add to the math and Latin I'm working through at night (history gets done as I commute to work, classic books at bedtime).

I'm looking at Analytical Grammar. It's really spendy but I'm willing to do it if it will get me to my goals. Anything else? 

Cozy Grammar does not cover diagramming, but is thorough. In particular, I like the punctuation. I'm supplementing it with Grammar Made Easy for the diagramming.

I ordered Hake Grammar and Writing 7, but don't think it's as efficient and good as Cozy Grammar, and on top of all my other studies, I think Cozy Grammar will be a better complement.

http://www.splashesfromtheriver.com/USAorder.htm

I bought my basic grammar and punctuation as a bundle directly from mindbites for $99.00, but I don't think that is offered anymore. I asked mindbites for complete workbooks, instead of the individual worksheets listed under each video and they sent them to me.

Grammar Made Easy is also a sentence composition course. I'm hoping to add some of this to Spalding type spelling lessons when I become more familiar with it. I used to cover most of this type of stuff with Henle Latin. Latin is just too much for my current students.

http://www.everyday-education.com/grammar/index.shtml

I learned a lot through the use of www.KISSgrammar.org (free) and Harvey's Elementary Grammar (Amazon has it for $9.89). I think KISS worked really well for me due to the whole visual/kinesthetic aspect to it - I like to go through the passage and mark the different parts in different colors using different symbols. It's like a puzzle.

• Like 2

We use CLE and love it. We tried Cozy and couldn't stand the DVD presentations. We tried R&S and found it long and boring. CLE covers the same things, has 10 inexpensive workbooks per year, and my daughter's grammar end of year test score sky-rocketed after we completed two years of CLE! It has the perfect amount of review in it for her. 

When remediating Grammar for a 8th/9th grader on which level with CLE would you start.

I think that we used the placement test. If I recall correctly, I started using CLE when dd was in 7th and she went through CLE 5 and 6 in 7th and then CLE7 and 8 in 8th. She has managed 2 lessons a day just fine. CLE 5 wasn't difficult but covered some topics she didn't know well. It was so worthwhile. I am very thankful we made the effort to plug away. Now grammar is her strongest subject.

• Like 1

We LOVE Shurley Grammar. A good overview of this method is found at:

https://www.shurley.com/pdf/parent_help/Parent_Help_Booklet_Level_4.pdf

https://www.shurley.com/pdf/parent_help/Level_4_Practice_Sheets.pdf

They have these for each level, just search for the one you are looking for. Level 4 and 5 are very similar so many do either one or the other. Once they've grasped Shurley well, you can move on to a program that emphasizes an area you'd like for them to focus on.

Rosa

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I've used Easy Grammar with the kids for years.  It covers everything in a very hands on way but no diagramming. 

For diagramming we've used two sources-the book Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog (part grammar, part memoir) and the Lukeion Course Barbarian Diagrammarian (not inexpensive but very good).

I noticed that someone had been looking over this post today and I wanted to update...

I've been using the First Language Lessons series with my youngest.  In my opinion they are better in the early grades for grammar than Easy Grammar.  Barbarian Diagrammarian is definitely designed for older kids, (again IMHO) 7th grade at the earliest.

I have now graduated 3 students.  They all did Rod and Staff in their elementary/middle school years and then moved to Analytical Grammar in High School.  It was money well spent.  They all had 30's on the English portion of the ACT.  I was shocked each and every time they did this, especially with my STEM son, who just graduated.  But he KNEW his grammar, just as well as his siblings.  They all went on to do well in their Dual Writing Comp classes their senior year.  

We used the two year approach with AG.  

Going to use it again with my last little chickie who starts 9th grade this year.  

AG works!

Blessings,

Brenda

• Like 1