Menu

Redoing my pantry: Do potatoes and onions need to be stored in closed containers?

1GirlTwinBoys

Right now I have them in plastic drawers on a rolling cart in my pantry.  I'm getting ready to put new shelves in there and was wondering if these food items need to be in closed containers to keep mice away???  I always notice when I go to other people's houses that they don't do this. :confused1:

I do not close mine up, but I have always read that they should be stored far apart. The onions make the potatoes go mushy faster or something like that. I do not have mice. Even when I grew up in a house with occasional mice, they were never in the potatoes or onions.

I think potatoes and onions need some ventilation.  I keep mine in open baskets on a shelf.  I've also seen burlap bags for onion and potato storage which would allow for ventilation but keep the food covered (though I guess mice could chew through the fabric).

My MIL's house had a mice problem years ago, and while they would get into the pantries, their very favourite treats were bars of soap in the bathrooms. When we visited, I would get up in the morning and see deep gouges in the soap bars in the bathroom. So, I wouldn't worry so much about the potatoes and onions, but instead hide the soap. :)

I'm another who stores potatoes and onions separately. When I stored them on the same shelving unit the onions would sprout and the potatoes would get mushy very quickly. Now that they're on different shelving units (in the same basement room) I have no problems. My potatoes come in plastic bags with vetilation holes and the onions come in mesh bags. I store them as is so I would assume a closed container would be a problem.

We do get mice fairly often in our house in the woods.. I store potatoes and onions open so they can ventilate. (I think they would spoil quickly if closed.) I can't remember ever having mice get in them. Other than peanut butter and cheese that we put in traps, I'm not even sure what mice eat in the house. They mostly poop, and in our house, i will find it first in the drawers where I keep the food wrap stuff (aluminum foil, plastic bags,etc) and in the drawer with the dog leash, brush, etc. and the junk drawer ie no food where they hang out most. They do get in things like dog food and bird seed.

So I think you should store your food in a way that's best for the food and not worry about somehow attracting mice.

I do not close mine up, but I have always read that they should be stored far apart. The onions make the potatoes go mushy faster or something like that. I do not have mice. Even when I grew up in a house with occasional mice, they were never in the potatoes or onions.

My parents have had mice problems but they've always left the potatoes and onions alone, bread and my mothers car however, whole nutther kettle of fish. :D

My parents have had mice problems but they've always left the potatoes and onions alone, bread and my mothers car however, whole nutther kettle of fish. :D

Your mother's car? Those are quite some mice!

My mother has slugs that get into her cupboards.  They love eating the labels off tins and bottles.  Opening a tin or a bottle of wine is a voyage of discovery in her house.

L

I had a rat eat a hole in the gas tank of my car several years ago.  Brazen thing marched right into my garage and chewed a hole in the gas tank.  It was obvious what had happened--I saw little pieces on the garage floor, not knowing what they were, but then I could smell gas, and the shop confirmed chew marks.  $1,000 for a new tank because of a RAT.  I mentioned this to a friend of mine from rural Mexico, and he acted like everybody knows rats are attracted to gas.  I had no idea.  But I now keep rat poison in my garage at all times.  One thousand-dollar repair is enough.

Your mother's car? Those are quite some mice!

My mother has slugs that get into her cupboards.  They love eating the labels off tins and bottles.  Opening a tin or a bottle of wine is a voyage of discovery in her house.

L

Yup. Chewed through the gas line plus the insulation around it. Some mouse nest somewhere is nice and cozy warm. I'll take a picture next time I'm at my parents :D