Menu

Vent re:house

Elisabet1

We bought what I thought was our dream house a few years ago. Now, it is just a disaster. 

1) not enough storage space. I did not realize it had very few closets. And the attic space was unfit for any sort of storage. The storage attic space area, that has a door right off from the media room, has no insulation. As a result, even our artificial Christmas tree melted in there. Also, the secondary bedrooms do not have big enough closets. We cannot even keep all the children's clothes in their own bedrooms, even though they really do not have any sort of excess. This is a 4000 square foot house. But then our bedroom closet is huge. But get this..it has a big window that faces south. The sunlight that comes in potentially could damage things in the closet. I have very few spots within that closet that I can put things that cannot be exposed to the direct sunlight...like photo albums. There are blinds on the main part of the window, but there is a round part that is custom and would cost a lot of put anything over it. Knowing we will move eventually has led us to not want to pay that. Now, due to lack of storage space, everything has to be kept in places where our two toddlers can get in to them.

2) French doors. Oddly, the builders put in French doors everywhere. And they do not lock! I am tired of hearing how someone once saw French doors that locked, because fact is, even if you can lock the doors to each other, like with a deadbolt, since both sides open, you only have to pull on them to open it. This includes our bathroom door. This means, I rarely take a shower alone. The pantry doors, office doors, and so on.

3) the lay out prevents safety gates...even on the stairs. Not kidding.

4) its a mess. The lack of anyplace to put anything means that everything is at the will of the toddlers. I feel like I am spinning and going like crazy the entire day, just to find things destroyed on a regular basis. The toddlers now know how to pull chairs up to everything. We no longer even have vitamins because they can reach everything.

Now to get in to the worse stuff....

5) I called in the builder a while ago because I suspected foundation problems. They checked it over and said no. Now we are 6 months out of warranty and it has become extremely obvious over the last month or two that we definitely have foundation problems. The signs were mild before...but now they are beyond obvious. Since we are out of warranty, we have to pay for all these repairs ourselves, and will take a hit on the resale value. And it won't be just the foundation that needs to be fixed. Once that is done, we will need to repair the brick and the cracked walls and so on.

6) I looked up and realized I have mold on my ceiling. That is recent too. Don't even know what to say about that.

I am sure this is not a complete list..but this is a long enough post for now. I wish the house fairy would come and clean my house, add closets, and fix everything.

:grouphug:

I have no advice on anything BUT the foundation issues. I would be going after the builders on that, for sure. You called before warranty was up. They LIED. I'd not let them get away with it. They'd be paying for someone else to fix their mess. I wouldn't actually trust them to do it, but repairs would be out of their pocket.

We bought what I thought was our dream house a few years ago. Now, it is just a disaster. 

1) not enough storage space. I did not realize it had very few closets. And the attic space was unfit for any sort of storage. The storage attic space area, that has a door right off from the media room, has no insulation. As a result, even our artificial Christmas tree melted in there. Also, the secondary bedrooms do not have big enough closets. We cannot even keep all the children's clothes in their own bedrooms, even though they really do not have any sort of excess. This is a 4000 square foot house. But then our bedroom closet is huge. But get this..it has a big window that faces south. The sunlight that comes in potentially could damage things in the closet. I have very few spots within that closet that I can put things that cannot be exposed to the direct sunlight...like photo albums. There are blinds on the main part of the window, but there is a round part that is custom and would cost a lot of put anything over it. Knowing we will move eventually has led us to not want to pay that. Now, due to lack of storage space, everything has to be kept in places where our two toddlers can get in to them.

I would put up a big drape attached to the wall that covers the whole window.  Who cares if it isn't round on the inside to match the shape of the window? 

None of my bedrooms have any closets at all.  We use shelves for the clothes, with a rod attached to the wall in the laundry room for things that must be hung.

2) French doors. Oddly, the builders put in French doors everywhere. And they do not lock! I am tired of hearing how someone once saw French doors that locked, because fact is, even if you can lock the doors to each other, like with a deadbolt, since both sides open, you only have to pull on them to open it. This includes our bathroom door. This means, I rarely take a shower alone. The pantry doors, office doors, and so on.

I would put a bolt from one door through the floor and door-frame, and then attach the lock from the other door to the first one.

Are there no doorways at all?  We have safety gates on the front and back hallways to block off one half of the downstairs.  My friend has safety gates directly on her newel posts. 

4) its a mess. The lack of anyplace to put anything means that everything is at the will of the toddlers. I feel like I am spinning and going like crazy the entire day, just to find things destroyed on a regular basis. The toddlers now know how to pull chairs up to everything. We no longer even have vitamins because they can reach everything.

Life with toddlers is definitely challenging.  My toddlers spent a bit of each day in playpens, high chairs, and slings/backpacks. 

5) I called in the builder a while ago because I suspected foundation problems. They checked it over and said no. Now we are 6 months out of warranty and it has become extremely obvious over the last month or two that we definitely have foundation problems. The signs were mild before...but now they are beyond obvious. Since we are out of warranty, we have to pay for all these repairs ourselves, and will take a hit on the resale value. And it won't be just the foundation that needs to be fixed. Once that is done, we will need to repair the brick and the cracked walls and so on.

Um, no.  You reported the problems before the warranty was up.  Just because they didn't want to acknowledge them then doesn't mean they shouldn't be covered if they are the same problems.  I would contact an attorney and make the builder pay for the repairs.

6) I looked up and realized I have mold on my ceiling. That is recent too. Don't even know what to say about that.

I am sure this is not a complete list..but this is a long enough post for now. I wish the house fairy would come and clean my house, add closets, and fix everything.

Get wardrobes, chifferobes, and shelves for storage.  Putting stuff in a place where it belongs will go a long way toward making your home feel tidier.

I know you're venting and none of this will solve your feelings about the house but maybe it will help a bit...

1) Can you insulate the attic? It's not difficult with batting, just dirty work.  With the round window in your closet could you just put up a rod that's as long as the window is wide and hang a covering? Not pretty but it would make the room more functional. 

2) French doors can have a bolt at the top or bottom that goes into a hole in the floor or ceiling on one side. Once that bolt is set then that one door won't move and you can lock the doors and they will stay locked. You might be able to retrofit your doors with these. 

3) I don't know. If you want any ideas on that maybe you could post some pictures. I imagine there have been others with the same problem so maybe we could help you find a solution?

4) I'd be looking at built in shelves (or Ikea Billy bookcases) and baskets to dump stuff in and shove on the bookcases. I know this won't solve the toddler issues but hopefully in another year or so that will remedy itself. 

5) You should not let that drop. It could very well be that the builder was dishonest when you called before. Call them again. Call your municipality/state/province to see if there's an ombudsman who deals with builders specifically or consumer affairs generally. Call up your state/provincial rep. Call a lawyer. Call any professional builder's organization that the builder belongs to. Don't let that one drop before you explore every possibility.

6) My house is relatively new and I have had mold on a bathroom ceiling. Houses are a lot more tight then they used to be so sometimes that happens because of condensation that doesn't escape. Spraying it with water and bleach in a ratio of about 10:1 (more bleach in the ratio is not more effective) should take care of it. Do you have an air exchanger that might need looking at?

Otherwise,  :grouphug: . 

They do make a film for the windows that is like window tint for cars. Most home improvement stores should have it.   I would also get a slim curtain rod just a little bigger that the window and attach it to the wall to hang curtains.

Check with your neighbors and see if they also have foundation issues.  I would even google/research the builder to see if there any pending lawsuits against them related to foundation problems.   I know someone who did this and was able to prove they had a history of issues and they agreed to fix it.

I know you're venting and none of this will solve your feelings about the house but maybe it will help a bit...

1) Can you insulate the attic? It's not difficult with batting, just dirty work.  With the round window in your closet could you just put up a rod that's as long as the window is wide and hang a covering? Not pretty but it would make the room more functional. 

2) French doors can have a bolt at the top or bottom that goes into a hole in the floor or ceiling on one side. Once that bolt is set then that one door won't move and you can lock the doors and they will stay locked. You might be able to retrofit your doors with these. 

3) I don't know. If you want any ideas on that maybe you could post some pictures. I imagine there have been others with the same problem so maybe we could help you find a solution?

4) I'd be looking at built in shelves (or Ikea Billy bookcases) and baskets to dump stuff in and shove on the bookcases. I know this won't solve the toddler issues but hopefully in another year or so that will remedy itself. 

5) You should not let that drop. It could very well be that the builder was dishonest when you called before. Call them again. Call your municipality/state/province to see if there's an ombudsman who deals with builders specifically or consumer affairs generally. Call up your state/provincial rep. Call a lawyer. Call any professional builder's organization that the builder belongs to. Don't let that one drop before you explore every possibility.

6) My house is relatively new and I have had mold on a bathroom ceiling. Houses are a lot more tight then they used to be so sometimes that happens because of condensation that doesn't escape. Spraying it with water and bleach in a ratio of about 10:1 (more bleach in the ratio is not more effective) should take care of it. Do you have an air exchanger that might need looking at?

The mold is in my bedroom on the 2nd floor. Is there a way I could post pictures.

I honestly just feel...dumb. I mean...I figured I could get the rolls of insulation and just stick them up there, maybe with a staple gun..between the rafters...but my husband said I might damage the roof. Now I am too unsure of myself to try, because what if he is right?

There is also mold in the bathroom downstairs. I figure the mold in my bedroom must mean I have a roof leak. We have 12 foot ceilings upstairs and down which means our roof is high. I think I will need to call out a roofer to get up and look to see if we have some sort of hole. 

I see where I can "choose files" here so I will see if I can post some pictures. The child proofing is from a lack of doorways. It is an open floor plan and even the hallways ended up being too wide for safety gates. On the stairs, I was able to put on at the bottom of the stairs. However, the sneaky little ones figured out to climb on the outside of the stairs. Oh, and the older one learned how to open that safety gate. In the old house, we had a "closed staircase."

What is the air exchanger? Is that the part where it draws the air in so it can come out at the other, a vent type thing?

The mold is in my bedroom on the 2nd floor. Is there a way I could post pictures.

I honestly just feel...dumb. I mean...I figured I could get the rolls of insulation and just stick them up there, maybe with a staple gun..between the rafters...but my husband said I might damage the roof. Now I am too unsure of myself to try, because what if he is right?

Rolls of insulation batting have paper on one side.  The paper is wider than the insulation part that fits between the rafters, and the paper flange that hangs over gets stapled to the rafters, not the roof.  It is pretty easy to install yourself.  You can see a video here.

There is also mold in the bathroom downstairs. I figure the mold in my bedroom must mean I have a roof leak. We have 12 foot ceilings upstairs and down which means our roof is high. I think I will need to call out a roofer to get up and look to see if we have some sort of hole. 

You probably have a problem with moisture in the air getting trapped in the house.  Make sure you have exhaust fans vented to the outside.  Some boneheads vent to the attic, which should be against the law if it isn't in your state, and would cause condensation and mold.

I see where I can "choose files" here so I will see if I can post some pictures. The child proofing is from a lack of doorways. It is an open floor plan and even the hallways ended up being too wide for safety gates. On the stairs, I was able to put on at the bottom of the stairs. However, the sneaky little ones figured out to climb on the outside of the stairs. Oh, and the older one learned how to open that safety gate. In the old house, we had a "closed staircase."

We put French doors opening out on our kids' bathroom to make it accessible for my son's wheelchair. In order to make the locks actually work, they put a sliding bolt lock thing on the bottom of the door and it secures into the floor. It looks like those simple locks you see in restaurant bathrooms, but it's wider and goes into the floor instead of being mounted sideways.

The heat problems you mentioned in your attic made me think of a case someone told me about(in person and they were the homeowner) where an incompetent builder did not ventilate the attic at all. In case that is the case for you you might consider having a professional check the attic for proper ventilation. If there is a problem with that have it corrected and then go after your builder for reimbursement.

Amy in NH has got your answer on the batting. Celticmom has a really important suggestion with the venting; that is something usually dictated by local building codes so a little research should tell you how much venting you need per square foot.

Did you notice any discoloration before you saw the mold on your bedroom ceiling? If it was a leak I would bet you'd notice a wet patch long before you saw mold. I'm guessing you have a master bath. You have a shower, come out and the humid air comes out and rises to the bedroom ceiling. When it hits the cooler ceiling condensation forms and mold grows. Use the bleach and water to clean it and then make sure you close your bathroom door while showering and while the vent is running. While you're cleaning the mold you can double check to make sure the ceiling isn't damp our discolored from a leak but I'm betting there's no issue.

An air exchanger brings fresh air into the house. In our house it has ducts running through the walls and white circular vents high in the ceiling of most of the rooms. Sometimes it's tied into the heating or AC system as the HVAC system.

Don't give up on your dream house! It may just be a matter of some tweaking and I suspect their are lots of us here who've owned some houses that were as far from dream houses ppl as you can get who can give you good advice.:)

Please don't beat yourself up over this. It's so easy to get excited about a new home and overlook things that will matter to you once you're living there. Also, many people trust that their home inspector will find all of the problems in the house, when for many of us, that simply wasn't the case.