Menu

Heavy duty mixers

Amira

My old heavy duty mixer has very deservedly died after 16 years and 2000 loaves of bread.  I won't ask for a moment of silence, but I do need suggestions for a new mixer. I need something that can handle 3 loaves' worth at a time of 100% whole wheat dough for many years.  I don't need any other attachments, I don't need to it sing and dance, I don't want to make cakes or cookies with it.  It just needs to knead lots and lots of dough. I'd love to only spend around $300 for it, but am willing to go higher for something that would last significantly longer.

Thanks!

ETA that I'm leaning towards this Bosch, so if you have opinions about this machine, I'd love to hear them.

Can you look for a used KitchenAid? The only reason I am saying "used" is that people here have mentioned that the newer models are not nearly as good as the older ones. Mine is almost 20 years old and going strong. The dough hook is powerful and I have baked many, many loaves with this machine. Since it's been so long, I don't even know what they are going for these days.

I need something that can handle 3 loaves' worth at a time of 100% whole wheat dough for many years. 

I somehow did not see this the first time around. I suppose making 3 loaves of dough consecutively would not work. Not sure if even the largest KA has enough capacity for this.

My old heavy duty mixer has very deservedly died after 16 years and 2000 loaves of bread.  I won't ask for a moment of silence, but I do need suggestions for a new mixer. I need something that can handle 3 loaves' worth at a time of 100% whole wheat dough for many years.  I don't need any other attachments, I don't need to it sing and dance, I don't want to make cakes or cookies with it.  It just needs to knead lots and lots of dough. I'd love to only spend around $300 for it, but am willing to go higher for something that would last significantly longer.

Thanks!

ETA that I'm leaning towards this Bosch, so if you have opinions about this machine, I'd love to hear them.

Bosch. I have an older (more than 25yo) model, which happily makes everything from cupcakes to four loaves of 100% whole wheat bread. I also have the food processor and blender attachment (came with the blender, bought the food processor later). Love my Bosch. :-)

My KA Artisan has been humming along for 8+ years without any problems! and it's the bottom of the line. However, in your shoes, I'd definitely get the Bosch because it seems to be made for exactly how you plan to use it. I'm guessing I would have killed my KA by now doing three whole wheat loaves per week. I'm all about getting the tool that meets your specific needs without overkill, but I really think you need more horsepower than the average home cook.

When I buy it will be a Bosch. The KA mixers are pretty but I don't think they really compare in terms of quality.

I have a friend who has both a Bosch and a KA. Although she likes her KA overall, she says the Bosch is much better at making 100% whole wheat bread. 

Yeah you are probably right.  They weigh like a zillion pounds!  LOL

And it might be too big.  Three loaves is not like 20.

Maybe I should get one and go into business.  Mexico has lots of amazing things to eat, but bread isn't really one of them.

This touches a sore spot for me because my bottom of the line, 20 year old KA has recently started ejecting the bowl when I make two batches of ww pizza dough. 800 number was nice, but not forthcoming with any help or much hope of fixing it. I'll try, for $15, but if that doesn't solve it I'll be looking up this thread.

I love the Bosch. My dh got it for me during one of the sales and got the food processor attachment to go along with it. I've never had a food processor before and I really like it. 

I would say the only problems with it are if you make more cakes or batters in your mixer. It could be annoying scraping and pouring it out with the center post. The center post is wonderful for beater strength (kneading bread) but not great for pouring. I can see how some people prefer a different style, like KA. 

I did kill a KA though. I decided one was enough. 

I LOVE my Electrolux Assistent (newer model is the Ankarsrum). It has an 8 qt bowl and also comes with a smaller bowl for mixing regular batches of cookies and whipping egg whites and cream. It is so much nicer than my old Kitchenaid Pro mixer.

I'd get an Ankarsrum if I had the money.  It looks perfect.

Seeing that OP wanted a heavy duty mixer that wasn't heavy . . . I love my Kitchenaid hand mixer.

I routinely make 2 loaves of whole wheat bread, or a Quad recipe of chocolate chip cookies, using the dough hook beaters (spiral).

I think if my bowl was large enough, I would attempt 3 loaves at once. :)

I burned out two Kitchen Aid Pros - one with bagels, which they replaced on warranty, and the second with WW bread. I'm looking into a Bosch, too. 

Cook's Illustrated didn't rate the Bosch since it couldn't make only one loaf of bread at a time. Come on! That's a feature for me!

Technically, you shouldn't use a Kitchen Aid for kneading for more than 2 minutes without a break - this is in the use guide. This is a deal breaker for me.

I burned out two Kitchen Aid Pros - one with bagels, which they replaced on warranty, and the second with WW bread. I'm looking into a Bosch, too. 

Cook's Illustrated didn't rate the Bosch since it couldn't make only one loaf of bread at a time. Come on! That's a feature for me!

Technically, you shouldn't use a Kitchen Aid for kneading for more than 2 minutes without a break - this is in the use guide. This is a deal breaker for me.

:confused1:​  I'll have to start reading my user guides more closely. Perhaps my oven manufacturer wants me to give my oven a break every 30 minutes when cooking a turkey? :glare: