Menu

Help me puzzle this out - food allergy related

Ameena

Not sure what is going on here. Maybe another allergy mom can figure it out.

I've known for years that if I ate too much bread or pasta, I felt terrible. Severe joint pain was my main symptom. But as long as I kept it to a reasonable amount - say a couple of times a week & not back to back days - it was okay, or so I thought. I've also suffered from terrible cystic acne since I was a pre-teen, along with stomach issues similar to IBS. All of those have gotten worse since my daughter was born. I've tried just about every perscription & non-perscription treatment there is for the acne except acutane over the last 20 years. Nothing has worked.

Last week I started a new low carb high protein diet, using protein shakes as meal replacement for part of the meals. While it doesn't say no wheat on the diet at all, I didn't happen to have any wheat items or baked goods for the 4 days I was on it. The shakes do contain oat fiber, but no wheat products. After 2 days, my skin started to clear up. Stomach issues stopped after the 1st day. No joint pain.

I went off because I was craving sweets / carbs {I have no willpower when it comes to sweets, and dd was eating little debbie cakes in front of me}. Binged on sweets & bread. Within 12 hours - acne back, stomach issues back, joint pain back with a vengence.

Could this be celiac? Or some type of wheat allergy? Something else? Or just a co-incidence? And where would you go from here?

I am not an expert but I stopped eating Gluten and dairy about a year ago and my face has not looked as clear as it does now since before I was a teen. I have had acne issues for years and even went to a dermatologist for them for awhile as a teen. It is possible there is a connection. My dh was the one who pointed it out to me. :)

could be gluten, could be wheat, or could be carbs generally (e.g., acne can be the result of insulin resistance/pcos, though I'm not sure whether that would include cystic acne)

I'm just piping in to say that you might consider a LCHF (low carb, high fat) diet rather than low carb, high protein.  Carbs and fat are the two options for fuel.  Excess protein, beyond what your body uses, would just get converted to glucose.  From what I have read, it's hard to be successful on a low carb/high protein diet because the body is still looking for fuel.  (There are books I'd recommend, though I recently came across this website that discusses the basics)

Sounds like a wheat or gluten issue to me.  Whatever it is, your body obviously does better (TONS better) without wheat.  The oat fiber is likely cross contaminated with gluten so you are not technically completely gluten free but probably pretty close depending on how much oat fiber containing items you consume. 

I, too, would trial. Go back on the feel good diet for at least two weeks, longer if you can. I'd in one gluten containing but not wheat thing. See how you feel. If it's ok, try a wheat. If you think it might be carbs generally, try with non-gluten carbs first. 

That sounds exactly like my BFF who was diagnosed with celiac disease.....as she discovered her food issues (first she thought it was just wheat), she discovered that she has a general intolerance to gluten and a few other things.

Her skin GLOWS now, her hair is shiny, and her joint pain and a number of other issues went away.

If you want to do a celiac blood test, do it now, before you go gluten free. I accidentally discovered a wheat/gluten/not sure yet sensitivity a few years back, but now I have had to eat gluten again to get an accurate celiac test (my results are still pending), and I feel lousy, and I hate that I am purposefully eating something that gives me asthma and eczema. As soon as I know one way or the other I can stop eating wheat again. I suspect an allergy and not celiac because of the type and timing of the reaction (sounds similar to yours, in that if I limit to a few times a week I'm okay).

I am too cheap to get tested so i just decided to eat what makes me feel good. I had months of feeling terrible but went off gluten and feel so much better! I also went off dairy- I can tolerate cheese once a week or so, but if i eat a little every day (i.e. Just in my coffee) i get extremely painful constipation. Hope you get it sorted.