Menu

No wonder we can't afford to go to a baseball game

Ottakee

I am NOT up to date on various professional sports but I just heard that the Tigers are signing a deal with one of their players for 290 million over 10 years.  That is 29 MILLION a year..................just think of the ticket prices if he only earned 9 million a year?

It used to be that regular working class families could go to the ball park and enjoy a game and a hot dog.

I just looked on their website. Tigers tickets start at $9.

Plus there are 3 minor league teams in Michigan. You can probably get even cheaper tickets there.

I think baseball is the cheapest of these three professional sports...baseball, football, basketball. They can't give away NHL tickets in some markets, obvs not Red Wings, tho'.

I was just looking to find out how expensive it was!  Also, if you go to the "non-premium" games, it's cheaper.

Also, the Tigers have gotten really good lately, so they are able to get more money for tickets.  My husband just reminded me that ten years ago, he could get in for under $5!!!  

when our family is looking for a cheap Tigers day, we eat right before we go in.  Take in unopened water bottles and wrapped snacks.  Makes a pretty cheap day!  There are ways to make it work for a big family!!!

And, then, if you are the priest of the church across the street from the stadium, people will give you tickets!  (Lucky husband!!!)

The minor league team in Midland, MI is AWESOME. The whole park, funded by DOW, is family friendly, no alcohol, toss people out for getting vulgar, has a picnic area, etc. It's really cheap and a wonderful outing. The players often greet the families after the game which is fun for the kids.

I recommend it over the Tigers any time.

Out of curiosity I just checked Phillies prices.  We've never been; I was a SF Giants fan when I lived in that area and still like baseball but not really interested in the Phillies.  

$14 for standing room, $17 for cheapest seats, up to $60 for premium infield seats.

So, if my family of four went, and we'd need to sit down, it would be $68 just for tickets. Parking is $16 or we could take the train which would be $54!  Don't know their policy on bringing in food and drink.  If we could bring in a water bottle for each and not buy anything to eat... 

Still, an expensive day for us! 

We prefer to go to the localish AA or AAA team games.  Cheaper, easier to get to, and more fun.  And, in my experience, a more family-friendly atmosphere.  Some major league fans take it too seriously; minor league games seem more laid back.

Cardinals tickets are expensive, but it's not because we have a roster of expensive players (*cough*Pujols*cough*). The "dynamic pricing" system means that when we are winning a lot of games or playing a rival (like the Cubs), prices go up. Teams that are less fun to watch, or us if we're slumping, drop prices for those games.

DH is going to a Blues game this weekend with some friends. His ticket was $62! We better have that Cup in our possession soon for those kind of prices.

If you have a minor league team nearby I would recommend trying that.  We would love to go to a major league game (Go Cardinals) but it would be to much and to far.  We have a minor league team not to far.  They even have special nights where admission is super cheap and they have super cheap snacks. 

Our local minor league team (Triple-A) has Monday night dollar nights. $1 tickets and $1 hot dogs. Unlimited!
We do enjoy going to the major league games, but their $1 specials are usually limited to 2 per purchase and with 11 people in the family it doesn't work out. On years they aren't doing so good we can usually get lots of free tickets though. We still don't buy any food/drink there

We have taken the kids to see a more local minor league team.  I just hate seeing professional athletes earning 20+ million dollars a year but I guess if people pay to support it then they do.  I just see that as income enough to support 250 families a year with a middle class income.

We have taken the kids to see a more local minor league team.  I just hate seeing professional athletes earning 20+ million dollars a year but I guess if people pay to support it then they do.  I just see that as income enough to support 250 families a year with a middle class income.

What really bothers me is the ones making that much money and don't seem to enjoy the game. :(   I know it is a job and with every job comes disappointments/hardships but what a job to have. 

Cardinals tickets are expensive, but it's not because we have a roster of expensive players (*cough*Pujols*cough*). The "dynamic pricing" system means that when we are winning a lot of games or playing a rival (like the Cubs), prices go up. Teams that are less fun to watch, or us if we're slumping, drop prices for those games.

DH is going to a Blues game this weekend with some friends. His ticket was $62! We better have that Cup in our possession soon for those kind of prices.

We've found that the dynamic pricing works in our favor. We really don't care who we see the Cards playing against, so we've gotten $8 tickets, and once I think we got tickets even cheaper than that!

The Blues tickets are really expensive, though. I went to my first-ever NHL game last year, and it will probably be the last one I go to for quite some time. We got to sit in front of Towel Man, though, so the price was well worth it! :)

We've found that the dynamic pricing works in our favor. We really don't care who we see the Cards playing against, so we've gotten $8 tickets, and once I think we got tickets even cheaper than that!

The Blues tickets are really expensive, though. I went to my first-ever NHL game last year, and it will probably be the last one I go to for quite some time. We got to sit in front of Towel Man, though, so the price was well worth it! :)

We got four free Cards tickets last year from Dobbs for buying tires. It was that hilarious "Christmas in July" theme game where they played Jingle Bells all night, lol.

I love the Towel Man! We had partial season tickets to the Blues when I was a kid, every 4th home game. They were only $16 a piece back then. I almost bought tickets as a family Christmas gift this year and nearly fell over at the cost. My brother has been to three games this year with a friend in his dorm who has season tickets. Jerk.