Menu

Horse People: Need help finding a better barn name for our new horse-girl

Mango

She's a buckskin, or a dun. It could go either way. Dark/black mane and tail, light red body. 

Her barn name is Sissy. Registered name is Zipped Up N Shiney. 

It's my daughter's new horse for drill team & 4H Fair. 

The names we've come up with aren't good enough. Do you have some suggestions?

Spirit

Penny

Pepper 

Stella

Tootsie

Technically, in horse color genetics, a dun needs a dark stripe down her back (not countershading).  Otherwise, she's buckskin or bay if her mane and tail are black - potentially chestnut if they are just dark red. You could have her tested to see.   ;)

But I digress (the breeding "equine mama" part of me couldn't resist since colors are a big part of pony breeding).  Names?

Zip

Shimmer

Zephyr

Flash

Rats!  Creekland beat me to the real reason I was going to respond; to correct the "it could go either way" thing.  lol

(though I will add that the dark stripe is called a dorsal stripe)

If she's a buckskin, "Buck."  

A dun?  "Dunny"

I live in cowboy country.  We're simple that way.   ;)

Rats!  Creekland beat me to the real reason I was going to respond; to correct the "it could go either way" thing.  lol

(though I will add that the dark stripe is called a dorsal stripe)

If she's a buckskin, "Buck."  

A dun?  "Dunny"

I live in cowboy country.  We're simple that way.   ;)

After breeding more than I could count without pics... we used up the simple names long, long ago.  The foals now all have a theme each year.  This year will be based upon Eckerd College in some way, shape, or fashion, due to youngest heading there in the fall (hopefully).

Buckskin or Dun -- we might have to do a hair test. 

Her papers say Buckskin. 

Her butt stripe says Dun. Yes, there's a nice black stripe down her back all the way to her tail.  

Our trainer/horse-mentor friend suggested the hair test to confirm. Half the folks who see her say buckskin, the other say she's Dun because of the stripe. 

Sigh, I don't really know. I'm just the mom. 

Buckskin or Dun -- we might have to do a hair test. 

Her papers say Buckskin. 

Her butt stripe says Dun. Yes, there's a nice black stripe down her back all the way to her tail.  

Our trainer/horse-mentor friend suggested the hair test to confirm. Half the folks who see her say buckskin, the other say she's Dun because of the stripe. 

Sigh, I don't really know. I'm just the mom. 

To confuse it more, buckskins can be duns.  A single horse can have both genes (cream and dun).  ;)

More importantly, what name did you choose???

Her claim to fame is in the Zippo line, I've been told? I am so totally clueless to all this horse stuff. I'm learning. 

I was hoping you'd chime in Remudamom! :)) 

She comes back from the trainer end of the month and hopefully by then we'll have it figured out something different. 

She's not known for a fast lope so calling her Zip, Zippy.... might earn a few chuckles that might make my kid think they're laughing at her not the name contradiction. :)) 

Well as an owner of a papered arabian listed as a bay he has a back stripe :) its funny to see people scratch their heads. He also has a single vertical stripe on the rear legs and a double vertical on the fronts :)

How about:

Kaiya (long i then short a)

• 2 weeks later...