Menu

Falafel and other Middle Eastern foods! YUM is an understatement!

sheryl

Thanks Amira. Yeah between dd & myself we are allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, lentils, chickpeas / garbanzo beans & cumin. Plus a few other things like avocado & peaches. Eating out is a nightmare.

Middle eastern food & my family does not mesh....but I LOVE it. I've always loved it - even as a little girl my favorite foods to taste where middle eastern & sephardic jewish food.

Thanks Amira. Yeah between dd & myself we are allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, lentils, chickpeas / garbanzo beans & cumin. Plus a few other things like avocado & peaches. Eating out is a nightmare.

Middle eastern food & my family does not mesh....but I LOVE it. I've always loved it - even as a little girl my favorite foods to taste where middle eastern & sephardic jewish food.

I still remember how much I loved eating everything when I lived in the Middle East for the first time.  I was raised on the typical American boring diet of the 70s and 80s, so Middle Eastern food was a revelation.  

There is so much good food on this planet.

Here are a few Persian recipes.

Chelo (Persian rice- this is still one of my favorite ways ever to eat basmati)

Kuku (basically an omelet with a million variations)

Some good Persian recipes

This site is a very good resource for lots of Persian recipes

And finally, my absolute favorite flatbread recipe ever.  It's best started a day or two before you want to eat it. Tajiks are ethnically Persian.

Tajik Naan

1 1/2 cups warm water

1/2 tsp yeast

4-5 cups flour (I always use whole wheat, but you can use white or a mix)

1/2 cup plain yogurt

2 tsp salt

Pour the water into a large bowl and add a pinch of the yeast- just a few granules.  Add two cups of flour and mix well till you have a smooth, thick batter.  Cover and let rest for 4-24 hours.  Uncover and add the rest of the yeast, then add the yogurt and stir, then add 1/2 cup of flour and mix well. Add the salt and slowly add enough flour to make a soft but not sticky dough. Knead well.  I usually use the mixer.  Cover and let rise for 6-12 hours.

Divide the dough into 12 pieces and flatten each into a thick disk on a floured surface. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes to 2 hours.  While they're resting, put a stone in your oven if you have one, or a baking sheet, and preheat the oven to 450.  Allow it to keep heating for at least 10 minutes after the oven has come to temperature so the stone will be hotter.  

Once the stone is very hot, flatten one round of dough into a circle about 6 inches across.  I use my fingers instead of a rolling pin.  Experiment to see if you like the breads a little thicker or thinner. Shape about 4-5, then slap each on the baking stone (carefully).  Bake about 7-10 minutes till the breads are brown on the bottom (the baking time is flexible- you can experiment here too), then pull them out with tongs or a spatula.  Repeat with the remaining dough till they're all baked.

This is from Beyond the Great Wall.

Is there a good substitute for the tahini? I LOVE baba ghanoush, but dd is allergic to sesame seeds :( I've made it a few times without, but the taste is kinda meh.

I love middle eastern food, but with dd's & my allergies it just doesn't happen. Between the two of us we are allergic to pretty much all the beans / seeds / spices commonly used :( Sure wish we weren't! We can't even shop at the halal grocery because they roast chickpeas constantly & have them in open bins all over the place, and both dd & I are airborne allergic.

I'm sorry you have to deal with those allergies.  If you can do another nut butter, I would suggest trying that…but I'm not sure how it would work.  Can you do pine nuts? Maybe adding in some pine nuts would help.  Since it's oily, another option would be to try adding in more olive oil for the mouth feel.

If you can do white beans, I know there are some good white bean dips made with cannelini beans, that don't use tahini.

wow, I love how unique this is.  Do you food process the cashews, etc. to a thin consistency to replace the tahini?

I just throw raw or roasted nuts in the blender with the other ingredients to make hummus and baba ganoush or whatever. I use whatever nuts I have on hand. I like cashews best and peanut butter least.

To make a sauce, start with a fresh nut butter. Put whole nuts in a food processor, add a drizzle of olive oil if needed, whizz it up till it's smooth and creamy.

Here are my recipes for vegan naan - 4 ingredients-and hummus. I'm still perfecting my pita bread.

To make baba ganoush, I roast a pierced eggplant in the oven, then use the flesh (no skin) in the hummus recipe in place of the chickpeas.

Any bean can stand in for the chickpeas for variety. Or roast the garlic, or add a couple of roasted red peppers.

http://cajunstrawberry.blogspot.com/2013/08/easy-homemade-vegan-hummus-and-naan.html?m=1

Isn't all falafal meatless?  We really like Middle Eastern food.  Doner Kebabs (Turkish gyro) are available on practically every corner in Germany (it's their top selling fast food!) and Indy is obsessed with them.  They aren't quite as easy to come by here in America, and that makes him sad.  

We learned to love Döner in Germany too.  Here in America, shawarma is easier to find.  It's very similar!  Unfortunately, I live in the boonies.  When we visit our kids at college, we always hit a shawarma place at least once!

Here are my recipes for vegan naan - 4 ingredients-and hummus. I'm still perfecting my pita bread.

To make baba ganoush, I roast a pierced eggplant in the oven, then use the flesh (no skin) in the hummus recipe in place of the chickpeas.

Any bean can stand in for the chickpeas for variety. Or roast the garlic, or add a couple of roasted red peppers.

http://cajunstrawberry.blogspot.com/2013/08/easy-homemade-vegan-hummus-and-naan.html?m=1

Thank you for posting those recipes.  I have wanted to try and make naan but all the recipes call for yogurt and I am dairy free.   What temperature do you use to cook if it is on a griddle?  And that says a little less than a minute on each side, correct?

I love eastern mediterranian food.

I once took a meal to a new mom who couldn't eat meat during pregnancy (for some reason it made her ill) , but she could have dairy.  so I made a spanakopeta.  she loved it.  I got the cookbook from the greek orthodox festival.  I could live on it.

I have a great tabbuleh recipe that's lebanese.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but here goes.  To me, the skin "is" the flesh.  Would you clarify!  Thanks.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but here goes. To me, the skin "is" the flesh. Would you clarify! Thanks.

When you get done roasting the eggplant (by the looks of it you are cooking it whole) cut it open and use the insides only. Don't get the purple outer stuff.

Thank you for posting those recipes.  I have wanted to try and make naan but all the recipes call for yogurt and I am dairy free.   What temperature do you use to cook if it is on a griddle?  And that says a little less than a minute on each side, correct?

Hot. I don't know. As hot as your oil will get without smoking. And yes, a little less than a minute. Lay it down. Watch it fluff. Pick it up. Flip it over. Listen to it sizzle. Pick it up again. Done. 

When you get done roasting the eggplant (by the looks of it you are cooking it whole) cut it open and use the insides only. Don't get the purple outer stuff.

Right. If the eggplant is fully cooked, and then cooled, the purple/black outside will slip right off. Or you can cut it open and scoop it out with a spoon if it's hot. 

If you use a smaller italian or chinese eggplant...I'm not sure, as those have tender, edible skin. You could probably just chop it up and toss all of it in.

I once lived somewhere where you couldn't get tahini. Sesame oil works in a pinch. Peanut butter does not :-/

We had the opposite problem once- we could get tahini but no peanut butter.  Turns out that tahini and jam sandwiches are pretty good.

Just out of curiousity, about how many pieces of naan does this recipe make?

Okay - this thread totally has be craving baba ganoush. Found allergy safe Naan bread at Central Market! Went to get eggplant today to make it in an allergy safe manner. But all the eggplants were soft / squishy - should they be? I passed as I thought they should be firm - right? Or did I get it wrong lol.

Okay - this thread totally has be craving baba ganoush. Found allergy safe Naan bread at Central Market! Went to get eggplant today to make it in an allergy safe manner. But all the eggplants were soft / squishy - should they be? I passed as I thought they should be firm - right? Or did I get it wrong lol.

They should be firm and spongy. Not hard, but not squishy. If they are wrinkly or wilty, pass.

A lot. Like 20, I think.

I will be making it next week. I will take pictures and count.

Um... Oops! I made like 10. I wasn't sure how big I was going for. I guess I should have stuck to the size of my "tester" one. Pictures would be great. I am making hummus tomorrow to eat the extra with. Maybe I need to go somewhere and order naan for the kids so I can at least see what I am trying to make.

Um... Oops! I made like 10. I wasn't sure how big I was going for. I guess I should have stuck to the size of my "tester" one. Pictures would be great. I am making hummus tomorrow to eat the extra with. Maybe I need to go somewhere and order naan for the kids so I can at least see what I am trying to make.

I make mine small. 10 is probably a more authentic number ;) but they should be very thin when they go in the pan.  I use 10 inch skillets, and I find the smaller dough easier to handle.

I had to go to the bank today, inside, and the woman who helped me was none other than from Lebanon!  We talked falafel and foul dip.  See, when dd and I went to the restaurant last week, I also ordered foul dip and the waitress asked if I liked it spicy or not.  I said I like spicy food but dd does not so make it mild.   I asked the banker woman from Lebanon if that was a traditional recipe and she said no.  I asked her if the café we went to - if it was their version and she said likely.  I dunno, but I do know it was good.  How ironic to meet that woman today after writing this thread. 

I had to go to the bank today, inside, and the woman who helped me was none other than one from Lebanon!  We talked falafel and foul dip.  See, when dd and I went to the restaurant last week, I also ordered foul dip and the waitress asked if I liked it spicy or not.  I said I like spicy food but dd does not so make it mild.   I asked the banker woman from Lebanon if that was a traditional recipe and she said no.  I asked her if the café we went to - if it was their version and she said likely.  I dunno, but I do know it was good.  How ironic to meet that woman today after writing this thread. 

• 1 month later...