Menu

Birthday Invitation: paper invite in mail or email Evite?

What kind of invites should I send for children's birthday party?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should I mail out invitations OR email an Evite to children's birthday party?

• Evite (or Punchbowl, or ???)
    • Paper invitation through snail mail
    • Other

I'm trying to decide if I should send out an actual paper invitation or just do an Evite for my kids' upcoming birthday party. I would say our list is split among people who are on the internet a lot (social media, quick at email, etc.) and people who either don't go online a ton (but do still answer email).

What should I do? Let me know your experiences and/or preferences. We haven't had a party in a couple years.

Evite is pretty standard these days.  I just got a paper invite the other day, and was like "great, now where am I supposed to put this?"  LOL, I used to have a clip for them attached to my calendar, but I think I haven't gotten one in at least a year.  Evites are nice because you can check the info from anywhere.

I usually do paper invitations via snail mail. Two reasons:

1) I don't get to flex my graphic design muscles enough these days, and I get a kick out of creating something that goes along with the rest of our party theme.

2) Kids always love getting mail! I know mine always save birthday cards, invites, etc. for weeks (until I get tired of finding them all over the house and throw them away)!

But in terms of cost and functionality, I think evites are perfectly acceptable. Most of my kids' friends' parents just create an event or send out a message on Facebook. I realize I'm an oddball. :tongue_smilie:

I agree with Peachy. E-vites are more convenient for the parents, but kids REALLY love getting mail, so I always make sure to send out paper invitations. Okay, so ours are more like ballons, puzzles, and other random objects, but they arrive in the mail. I love invitations! http://www.pinterest.com/libertyhh/creative-party-invitations/

We've never had trouble with RSVPs.

I prefer evites.  Honestly I don't check my mail that often, maybe once or twice a week, unless I am expecting something.  It is almost all junk mail.  My email OTOH I check multiple times a day.  I also much prefer to just click going/not going vs. trying to call someone on the phone.  My kids do enjoy getting mail, but they seem to like evites just as much when I show it to them.

I said other just to be difficult. :) In reality, I do snail mail when they are little and getting mail is a big deal.  As they get older (roughly 8ish) I found all my kids' friends did evites and then they liked doing it and picking out the design. I think it made them feel older. 

I do both-an e-vite to the parent, and a paper invite to the child. That catches the people who don't go online, or where the child gets the invitation and runs off with it without telling the parent (I once found a birthday invitation the day before the party-my DD had it in her "special things". It wasn't until she asked me if we'd bought a gift for the little girl yet that I even realized there WAS a party!).

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll do an Evite. We're inviting families vs. kids, and if it is looked upon as common, I think it will just be easier. We will do thank-you's on paper, though!

Honestly, I don't think I've ever showed my kids a paper invitation.  When we receive it, I'm not sure if we can go yet, and I'm not going to tell them about a party that we can't go to.  And by the time I've checked my calendar and RSVP'd, any excitement they'd have about getting mail would be long gone.

You should go electronic.  Yes, it's really nice and cute for kids to get invitations in the mail, but let's face it. Who are the invitations really intended to reach?  You are relying on the parents to RSVP, not the kids. It is easier and more convenient for the parent to use and more likely to get a quick response.  

An evite is easier to keep track of the day of the party when you need to know the time and address.

Eta: and when your dd leaves her goalie gear in your van and needs it for her game and realizes it after you are already at the party and you don't have a cell phone on you (although I am probably the only person in the world at this point who doesn't carry a cell phone around)