Menu

Favorite family places in Washington DC

Acorn

I'm proposing a trip to DC for the end of this month.  Dh is not on board, thinks kids are too little at 6 and 8.  I said well I want to go back when they are 12ish, but if that is their only trip they will be too old for some things.  He also hates traffic, crowds etc.  Am I crazy for trying to plan this?

We regularily visit an airplane museum.  Kids are good with 3-4 hours of planes.  I do want to see a shuttle but it is at the Smithsonian Air and Space in Chantilly, VA.  How does that museum compare to Air and Space on National Mall?  Are both of them worth two days?

Has anyone been to the zoo recently?  What kind of wait times for Panda House?  Can you see the adult male without being in line for the new baby and mom?  Dh is really opposed to zoo since we visit can visit one locally.  Opinions?

We definitey want a day at Natural History to see gem and minerals.  What else is a highlight? 

Air and Space: Personally I'd choose one or the other and not do both the one on the Mall and the one in Chantilly. Unless you really want to see the shuttle the one on the Mall is probably easier since it's closer to everything else. The one at Chantilly does have an observation tower where you can watch planes land and take off which is pretty cool. It is "free" but there is a hefty parking fee ( I can't remember exactly how much but it should be on the website). 

Natural History: Dinosaurs are closing end of April for 5 years. Our favorite exhibits there are the Ocean hall and the Hall of Mammals. Both are really well done. There is a butterfly exhibit that you have to pay extra for that is pretty good. The gems are always a favorite. They have a current exhibit on genetics that is interesting. They also have an exhibit of beautiful wildlife photography currently. 

Zoo: We are members and go a lot. The male panda is sometimes outside. I think now if it is outside you can see it without waiting in line to see the baby. If it's inside there might be a line. We like the panda ok but there is so much more to see. There are really cute tiger cubs that were super active the last time we were there. The Asia trail, Elephant trail and North American trail are all fairly new and favorites or ours. I'm not sure where you live and what zoo you go to. I like the National Zoo but I've been to better zoos. I think if you live somewhere with a zoo, it might be better to spend your time elsewhere. 

Other favorites of ours with kids...

-Building Museum: They have an awesome exhibit now called Build, Work, Play that is really fun. 

-Museum of the American Indian: I think the exhibits are sort of mixed. I actually find them not that informative or well thought out. But the building is really spectacular and the restaurant is delicious. We eat there often if we are downtown for the day. It's not cheap but it's much better food than say McD's at Air and Space. 

-American Art/Portrait Gallery: Other than the art and very good educational programs they also have a great courtyard with a fun water element. Our kids like to play in the water and it's just a nice place to rest. 

It's a good time to come. I tend to see less field trips this time of year it seems like so if you are here on weekdays I think there won't be huge crowds. On the weekends it shouldn't be too bad unless you are here during the Cherry Blossom Festival 3/20-4/14 this year. I would bet with the weather we've been having that the blossoms themselves will be on the late side this year. Right now they are predicting about the second week of April. Crowds are much worse when the trees are actually in bloom so if you come in March you should be ok but there are some events that occur on the weekends that are festival related so you might run into some of that. 

I agree to not skip the dinosaurs, especially since they'll be gone for years after April.  

When we lived in DC last year, my 5yo had fun at the Museum of the American Indian where they had a good exhibit for kids on the top floor.  He also loved the zoo, but I agree it isn't necessarily something you have to do since it isn't unique to DC, unless you don't have pandas at your zoo.  We would get there early, before the exhibits opened, so we could be at the panda house when it opened.  

I personally like the Air and Space Museum in DC better than the Udvar-Hazy Center, but dh preferred the other.  The boys liked both.  I think they're both worth a visit if your kids are into that.

Late March could be crowded depending on the cherry blossoms, but they could easily be late this year since it's been cold in DC, and a lot of the crowds are near the blossoms so other parts of the city aren't necessarily too bad.

My 5yo really liked DC and we never ran out of things to do there. This blog is for locals but it has lots of great kid-friendly ideas in DC.  You can look back to previous years to see what annual events might be coming up, or you can just get lots of ideas from the site.  I think a trip to DC is always worth it.

You may not need a full day to do each museum. The gem exhibit would not take a whole day. We went when the kids were 7 and 5. They liked the postal museum (not a whole day). We didn't get to the spy museum, but it's supposed to be fun. We enjoyed the Duck boat tour. We didn't get to the zoo either, but we have pandas in our hometown zoo. :)

You may not need a full day to do each museum. The gem exhibit would not take a whole day. We went when the kids were 7 and 5. They liked the postal museum (not a whole day). We didn't get to the spy museum, but it's supposed to be fun. We enjoyed the Duck boat tour. We didn't get to the zoo either, but we have pandas in our hometown zoo. :)

We were in DC when my twins were 7 years old. It may be just them, but they had minimal patience for museums or tours. They did love seeing the scope of the city. Favorites were the Mall, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam And WW II memorials.

The DC Duck amphibious boat tour was perfect for that age, not to mention that it was nice to get off one's feet, lol. The Duck tour leaves from Union Station, which has a food court on the lower level -- perfect for kid meals. The Postal Museum is next door to Union Station.

If you are able, drive around DC at night, as the lit monuments are spectacular.

My dc loved Dumbarton Oaks. The flowering season begins there with forsythia, so it is pretty early.

Check out the Kennedy Center to see if there is anything kid friendly. The views from the roof along the river are spectacular.

Washington Harbor in Georgetown is also lots of fun, but I think the ice skating rink closes at the end of winter.

Eta if you are in Air & Space, think twice before dropping into the McDonalds there. It has higher prices than any McDonalds I have ever seen.

You want to eat at the American Indian museum. You just do.

Personally, I love the Arboretum, but it never hits anyone else's top 10 and if the weather holds it'll be too cold. If you're feeling adventurous, a day in Baltimore is fun. There is admission to consider, but the Science Center, Aquarium, and Aquarium are so great for kids in your age range.

Personally, I'm waiting for the temps to get above 50 so we can go down for a field trip. I want to say goodbye to the dinosaurs and just roam around. We haven't done that in so long because it's been sooooooo flippin cold. We went to the Kennedy Center for a play in January or Feb (can't remember) and almost froze between the metro and the shuttle.

The beauty of DC is that a lot of the museums are free so if the kids get tired or just need a break you don't feel like you have to stay because you paid.  Loved the Natural History Museum.  The gems and minerals where spectacular as where many other exhibits.  Air and space is fun too especially if your kids know about space travel and moon landings.  Walk the mall in the evening if you can.  The monuments are so cool when they are all lit up. That was our favorite part of the trip.  We found the zoo to be a nice break from the museums.  Take the kids on the metro.  It is really easy to ride, fairly clean and a fun experience

My husband hates crowds and he didn't mind DC.  We went the first week of May. Make sure you wear good walking shoes and be prepared to use them. Also, pack a lunch and snacks.  The food at the museums is outrageously expensive with the exception of the McDonalds in the Air and Space Museum.

Does your dh realize it is all free? If your kids are getting antsy at a museum go to the mall and run around. My kids first trip was when they were 8, 6 and 4. Great trip! So easy. Dh was in meetings all day. The metro was easy to use. We walked a ton. I had packed a lot of snacks and had refillable water bottles. You can do DC in a relaxed manner. It is not like Disney World where you want to squeeze every minute/penny out of your admission price. Just enjoy what ever is interesting on that day to your kids.

When we lived there, we went to the Smithsonian Air and Space in Chantilly, VA twice and both times we had the place almost to ourselves.  We had arranged for classes for our homeschoolers.  Loved the museum, but I wasn't fond of the $$$ parking.

Two of our favorite places to tour were the Library of Congress and the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and it seems like all of the guests we had enjoyed those tours too.

Since we lived there, we had the time to explore the city at a slower pace.  I have a few more places that we really enjoyed, but I'm not sure I would recommend them over the more popular places.  

I have fond memories of our visits to the National Postal Museum and the National Building Museum.  I arranged classes/events at both places for our homeschool group.

Your children might enjoy the US Botanical Gardens (near the Capitol).