Menu

Yoga?

Mw starts her sentences to me about yoga w/, "I know you won't try it, but..."

Because yoga is weird. And I've never done it before. And I don't know what it is exactly. And I don't try new things.

But...after 4 babies, I might be ready to try something new. I'm pretty sore in my lower back & shoulders--not sure if it's pg, nursing, or our mattress, but you get the idea. Plus...I can feel everything moving back into place. I probably need a chiropractor, lol.

My question is a) would yoga be the right type of exercise to help w/ that? b) is it weird? ;) c) I *imagine* it's gentle enough for this stage of pp? d) what do you recommend to start? maybe a free you-tube video or something to make sure it's a good idea?

TIA!

Yoga is wonderful :)

First, let me also recommend "The Core Program" by Peggy Brill. She has a very gentle series of stretches and strengthening exercises for your core muscles. My bet is that this would benefit you greatly. Look for it at the library.

Also try your library for yoga videos. Stick with anything marked "beginner" or "gentle," or "hatha." A very important thing to know about yoga is that you should NOT strain in the position. If you have to strain to get into the position, then just do as much of the position as you can *comfortably* do. Eventually, you'll be able to do the full pose.

Stay away from anything that says "power" or "astanga."

Yoga is just stretching. That's all. You can do stretching :) Your body will love it.

I suppose its "weirdness" depends on what form you're looking into, and your background.

But, yes, I started daily yoga practice (Sun Salutation) to address those very physical complaints and to give myself an opportunity to balance my body and mind before jumping into the fray of the day. I listen to a favorite Kundalini mantra cd while I stretch. Obviously, ymmv, as they say. I would advise, though, listening to something that does not change tempo if you will listen to music.

(as an aside, I tend to develop fibromyalgia symptoms when I'm sleep deprived, which I was - profoundly - for the first three years of my boys' lives)

Here are some places for you to get started. They're all Hatha yoga (primarily the stretching) oriented. There are pictures / animations / videos to guide you.

ABCs of Yoga

Audio Yoga (is really a misnomer, because she has videos, including the basic Sun Salutation sequence)

Yoga Downloads are free through iTunes. There is an mp3 track that guides you from pose to pose, as well as associated pdf files that illustrate the poses, that you can print out to visually follow along with while you listen / move.

If you have a drop-in Hatha (or "beginner") class that is convenient to you, I would encourage you to do that, just to get a feel for where you're aiming with each pose.

The breathing, stretching and balance do go a long way to help your body feel powerful again.

(eta: I am not suggesting that Hatha is "beginner" yoga, but that beginner yoga classes are generally Hatha - gentle and just the stretching.)

There are some yoga DVDs targeted specifically to post-natal women. I used to have one that assumed that your baby was right there with you -- it was taped showing a group of women who had their babies, and sometimes they'd need to stop and nurse or rock their babies. Sometimes the poses would be done while holding the babies. Very sweet, and very reassuring that it's okay to not make it through a DVD because your kids are interrupting.

Not that I can remember what that DVD was called, of course, but I know stuff like that is out there.

Yoga is like giving yourself a massage.

I agree. I'm not a regular exerciser, but if I was, I'd be doing yoga. I've done it off and on for the last few years, and it always make me feel so strong and powerful. Hmmm...maybe I'll dig that DVD out again.

There are yoga videos specifically for back care too (I have the same back pain you have)--I think Rodney Yee is the leader? You might Google that too.

I don't think I'd be doing yoga at your current PP stage, but in a few weeks, I say go for it!

Yoga is wonderful :)

First, let me also recommend "The Core Program" by Peggy Brill. She has a very gentle series of stretches and strengthening exercises for your core muscles. My bet is that this would benefit you greatly. Look for it at the library.

I have this on my shelf and did it regularly. Funny, yesterday on the exercise thread, I complained that I can't get into a stretching/strengthening routine. I run and that's pretty much it. I think I'll pull this book from my shelf and look at adding it to my routine.

Yoga is great...you can attend classes or get DVDs that don't do all of the chanting and whatnot...just the moves and stretches. I would also rec. beginners pilates. I have a DVD called Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates with Ellen Barrett. I really like this...you can do it in 10 min. sections or as one 30 min program. There are also books about doing yoga with your kids. It looks fun. Good luck:)

I was told not to do anything the first six weeks that remotely looked like exercise. Yoga counts, even though it feels so gentle. I think those post-natal yoga videos are for a few weeks later.

Everytime I overdid it (and it didn't feel like I was overdoing it), it noticeably set the healing back a few days. I was used to working out and kept trying to jump the gun on getting back into it. It would have gone faster if I had held myself back til I was really and truly healed (6 - 9 weeks), then started gently.

I teach a yoga type class called BodyFlow and I absolutely love it! It's a combination of yoga and pilates. For years I was a cardio junkie and thought that if I wasn't sweating or in pain that I wasn't getting a good workout.;)

BodyFlow has changed my body! Not only do I have more core strength, but my body looks longer and leaner from the deep stretching and holding of the poses.

There are a lot of great resources out there. Tyr borrowing from the local library or video store before purchasing. Or if you want to try BF, let me know and I will send you one of my DVDs or videos and you can do it at home, in your spare time.;)

I'll go ahead and be the odd poster and say that I tried yoga and I did not like it one bit. At all.

I guess I'm stuck in the good 'ol aerobics exercise. My midwife suggests yoga for prenatal workout. I went ahead and bought my trusty aerobics DVD from Denise Austin.

I just couldn't get into yoga.

I agree that you should get to the chiro. ;) I have been feeling so great this pg since I started going. Oh, get a massage as well.

I've tried a couple of yoga dvds, but this is the only one I really like.

Yoga conditioning for Weight Loss program with Suzanne Deason

I got it from Amazon.

HTH,

Michele

(NOT a yoga or exercise guru of any sort!)

Hey, that's the one I have! I do like it :D

I love yoga and practice every day. I use Steve Ross' Inhale played on the Oxygen network. It's fun and has great music.

About things moving back into place. If I don't do yoga daily, my back is killing me and I feel just plain yucky.

No, I don't think it's weird at all. I think it's perfect exercise for me.

HTH

I started yoga when I was 4--my dad being Indian, it was a natural for us, and how I wish I'd stuck with it! I'm planning on starting again, as soon as my doc says I can do any stretching with my back, and it is so easy and natural! Don't think of what you see in movies, the ultimate positions and stretches that look like you'll never get out of--those are extremes for those Hollywood bodies and cameras. Real yoga is natural and soothing and wonderful. Don't overdo (pain is not good!) and make sure you dr. says you can start, but once you do, I'm sure you will love it.

Richard Hittleman's 28 Day Yoga Plan is a great beginner's course. There are pictures and it goes slow. Yoga is a great stretching, deep breathing, relax, slow down and calm down type activity. Some people can make it very weird, but when you boil it down, it's stretching and breathing. Yoga has many benefits: increased flexibilty, stronger muscles and bones (it is weight bearing), better lung capacity, a more relaxed state of mind. It can also help with allergies. There is a yoga pose for every problem you can have.

One caveat: do NOT over-do it! It seems very simple when you start, but don't try to do poses to their "perfect" or complete form. Some people NEVER get there. Yoga is about the journey. Focus on your breathing, stretch as far as you can comfortably, hold for a short amount of time and release. The longer you practice yoga the better you will know your body and you will know how much farther into a pose you can go and how much longer you can hold it. Right now, just relax and go through the motions.

ETA: ANYone can do yoga. Women practice yoga right up until giving birth so as long you don't try to do things that are uncomfortable for you it would be a great post-partum exercise.