Menu

Anxiety - Does this happen to you?

Jenny in Florida

So, today has been a pretty average day, nothing especially challenging. I got up more or less on time, took the dog out for a very quick walk, (verbally) prodded my son out of bed, chatted with my daughter (who had a rare weekday morning off from work), made breakfast for both of them, fed the pets, washed dishes, took a shower and got dressed, took my son to his dual enrollment class, etc.

He got out of class early because it was a test day, and he finished quickly. I dropped him home so he could eat lunch and get started on his online classes while I ran to Target and picked up a few things we needed (primarily some ibuprofen for my daughter, who pulled a muscle at work yesterday).

I spent the afternoon doing some laundry and prepping dinner and doing a few tasks online. I finally remembered to call the theatre where we have our season subscriptions and move the tickets my son and I have for Sunday's matinee to another day to make room for a college audition/visit he's doing this weekend.

All was fine. And then I was poking around here reading a few threads while waiting for my kids to be ready to leave for the dance school when . . . POW . . . this knot formed in my stomach and I started feeling jumpy and queasy. My son asked me a perfectly innocent question, and I felt like I was going to cry from the injustice of having to listen to him and answer it when I was already so overwhelmed . . .

It's a couple of hours later, and I'm still feeling ready to crawl out of my skin. It's like I'm feeling stressed about something, but there's no particular reason for me to be stressing. I keep going over my to-do list in my head and checking the calendar to make sure I'm not missing or forgetting anything important. Everything seems normal, but I cannot shake this feeling of impending doom.

Does this happen to anyone else? How do you cope?

:grouphug:

Yes, I've had that happen.  I hate it.  Just the other day I felt like I could have ran 10 miles when I went to bed (I felt anxious, like I could climb the walls), and then the next morning I woke up angry.  I hate that feeling that I've snapped and I can't handle anything.  

Things I do that help a little; hot bath, yoga breath work (good slow breathing, slower on the exhale), some yoga, and if it's during the day and I can, I go outside for a walk, run, or just go out

I also cope by telling myself it's normal, that in a day or two it will pass.  I also avoid my kids.  When I feel like that I get angry easily and I don't want to take it out on them.  

:grouphug: again.  It will pass. 

It used to, before I went on Lyrica (pregabalin) for fibromyalgia and generalised anxiety disorder.  I used to take - and still do, occasionally - valerian or rhodiola to help me relax, or I put some rose or lavender oil on a tissue; the rose makes me feel much more positive, and the lavender just helps me chill.  I also had OT which covered both the CFS and the anxiety.  But it has to be said that the medication works much better and more consistently than the natural remedies.  I wish it wasn't so, but in between being a busy mom and having a number of health issues to deal with, I have decided to put off the therapy route for a few years.

That happens to me too.  For me it's set off by thinking of some mundane thing which makes me think some random thought about a possible future bad thing happening:  oh, time to call the mechanic to get the car serviced -->  what if there is something wrong with the car --> what if we need a new car --> where will the money come from --> what if something  happens to DH job... 

It all happens very quickly, without conscious thought, and suddenly I am shivering with anxiety.   My doctor gave me xanax but it actually makes the panic worse.  I sit down, pray for peace, read some Bible verses I've got bookmarked for the purpose, drink some herbal tea (Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer, don't know what all's in it) and it passes.  

Do you have any large, life events on the horizon?

Wait, isn't your son getting ready to go to college (I read the high school boards a lot)? And wasn't something up with your daughter (moving or??)? I think these looming events can cause the sudden overwhelming feelings you describe.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

i hope they pass soon.  I sometimes get overwhelmingly crabby, and I am generally a very easy going person.  I freaked out over the weekend.  Here, I blame part of it on winter, but I am in the snowy midwest, not FL.  :)

Thanks, all. Some helpful thoughts, here.

I ended up "coping" by lying down for a nap. I turned on a boring podcast and forced myself to close my eyes. My dog curled up at my feet. I eventually calmed down a bit. I still feel edgy, but I've decided to find a research project or something to focus on and see if I can ignore it for a while.

Sometimes I notice a link between this kind of feeling and Internet use. I only mention it because you mentioned it happened after coming on here. It is just a kind of information overload switch in my brain, and for me it is a signal I need to unplug for a while. The other thing that sometimes happens is that I will feel like this and it's actually exhaustion. I just need to let my brain rest totally for about 10 minutes then I feel better.

Yes. It happens to me. It happened today.

I have a panic disorder that is kept pretty well at bay by a very lose dose of zoloft.

My day started out great. Breakfast done, e-mail read, phone call answered. Ready to start school. Out of absolutely nowhere: a panic attack.

I took ativan which I only use a few times a year for break through panic and went and sat in my husband's office since his presence normally calms me. I was convinced I was dying and needed to go the ER. He tried to talk me through it. We took my blood pressure and it was high! We talked through how all of the symptoms I was having are very typical of my panic attacks.

He suggested he would come up to the bedroom and sit on the bed while I took a shower. The panic was so bad I couldn't get in. But, I few minutes later I found myself dressed with my shoes on which also always happens in a panic attack. I have to be dressed to the shoes.

Took my blood pressure again and it was coming down. Paced in circles around the bedroom telling dh I was sorry I looked crazy. Finally started feeling more relaxed. Called in my son who also suffers from panic attacks so he could help me analyze whether or not I needed medical attention. He took my BP again and it was normal.

And then, like always, I had to get in bed and sleep. A panic attack makes my adrenaline release so fast that it drains every ounce of energy out of me. I slept for a couple of hours and still feel sluggish. My school day went down the drain. Luckily my highschooler is self sufficient and my 8yo is easy to catch up with tomorrow.

The truth is that I don't cope well with the anxiety. The medication keeps me nice and even for the most part and then very rarely I have to deal with a day like today and just have to accept it and be gentle with myself.

:grouphug:

:grouphug:  Yes. Mine manifest a little differently, but I can certainly relate. I third/fourth/whatever the medication recommendation. I try so hard to be pharma-free, but I (just speaking for myself, personally) have yet to find a natural alternative that can help me cope with the "out of the blue" anxiety attacks.