Menu

Does anyone make & slice their own lunch meat?

BlueTaelon

The Dr suggested dd13 and I needed the Paleo diet for valid medical reasons, 9 days in I agree, we cheated yesterday due to lack of ready made food handy and I regret it, we are paying for it today. It is bloody expensive though! An idea hit me this morning, why not season, cook and slice my own lunch meats? I can't hand slice thin meat for roll ups to save my life so I'm thinking meat slicer. Does anyone else do this? It looks like I can get one for around $100 on Amazon. I think it would very quickly pay for itself if it means I'm not shelling out for additive free lunch meats.

You don't want a 100  dollar slicer, it will burn out in less than a year.  Ask me how I know.  Search craigslist for a commercial one.  They are about 200 here and will last.  It does pay in the long run and knowing what is in your meat is great.  If you want to try it for a little while before investing in a slicer, just use a good knife.  It is work in the begining but worth it.  You can also do it once a month and freeze the portions.   

You don't want a 100  dollar slicer, it will burn out in less than a year.  Ask me how I know.  Search craigslist for a commercial one.  They are about 200 here and will last.  It does pay in the long run and knowing what is in your meat is great.  If you want to try it for a little while before investing in a slicer, just use a good knife.  It is work in the begining but worth it.  You can also do it once a month and freeze the portions.   

I just looked and the cheapest on craigslist is $800. I will be happy if it lasts a year, next year we should be in a better position to afford something better and lasting. Right now were literally counting pennies. I do plan on doing the monthly thing and freezing. That would mean the only thing I would need to buy is ham and I haven't found any thats paleo friendly around here. Need to check the health food store next time I'm in town.

We tried a $200 one from Cabella's this Christmas.  One try and back to the store it went.  The blade doesn't turn fast enough to really slice the meat.  A Hobart is the way to go.  Keep checking Craig's lists, post on your local facebook pages, freecycle, etc. someone just might have one sitting around that they would be willing to part with but just haven't gotten around to listing it.

Mine only last 1.5 months.  I would really just keep saving for one.  Check restaurant supply places and look for restaurant closing sales.  I really wouldn't spend the money on it right now.  Do you have a good knife?  It takes a little practice but you can cut it roll up thin.  

Actually I need to replace my knife, the darn thing is close to 20 years old but it still cuts better then the stuff I find in the stores. Anyway this is the one I was looking at, it has very good reviews, especially when used with the extra non serrated blade http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PRP288/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Actually I need to replace my knife, the darn thing is close to 20 years old but it still cuts better then the stuff I find in the stores. Anyway this is the one I was looking at, it has very good reviews, especially when used with the extra non serrated blade http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PRP288/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

A few reviews say it has plastic gears.  Run from it.  You don't want plastic gears.  Look for one with all metal gears. 

I just do a roast once a week and then shred it for filling lettuce wraps, etc. Green leaf lettuce works best.

Sometimes I shred it, add fresh sauteed green peppers and onions and cheese and heat. It is like a philly cheesesteak without the bread :)

How do you cook the roast?  What type of roast do you use?

How do you cook the roast?  What type of roast do you use?

I get a chuck roast and cook it on low 8-10 hours. I season the roast with salt/pepper and a little Worcestershire sauce. Then I add about 1/2 cup water and a 1/2 a beef bullion cube.

Sometimes I do tomato/cream cheese/avocado with the beef on the lettuce wrap. I love it shredded on a salad with cheddar cheese and some low carb thousand island dressing.

I make meat strips of the shape/size you would get on top of a salad in a restaurant -- this is our lunch meat. It doesn't need to be shaved or sliced thin: especially not at hundreds of dollars for the slicer!

I make steak, pork chops, and chicken breasts on a weekly basis. I also serve cold crumbled ground beef with variations.

We aren't paleo (we love our carbs and legumes and dairy), but I cook a big batch of boneless chicken breasts in the crock pot every week or two.  I shred it and portion it out into smallish containers and freeze whatever we won't use within a few days.  The chicken gets used for sandwiches, quesadillas, and in soups and salads.

We don't use processed meats at all.  I do use chicken, turkey,  and roast beef off the carcass sometimes sliced, sometimes shredded/chopped in sandwiches and salads.  If we have more than I will use in a few days of lunches then I will freeze it for later use.  I will also use left over steak or salmon in the same fashion.  I would think you would be fine with just removing the meat from the carcass and using it.  I wouldn't waste the time/energy/money striving for those paper thin slices because I don't really see the point.  

We don't use processed meats at all.  I do use chicken, turkey,  and roast beef off the carcass sometimes sliced, sometimes shredded/chopped in sandwiches and salads.  If we have more than I will use in a few days of lunches then I will freeze it for later use.  I will also use left over steak or salmon in the same fashion.  I would think you would be fine with just removing the meat from the carcass and using it.  I wouldn't waste the time/energy/money striving for those paper thin slices because I don't really see the point.  

Call it a preference for thin sliced meats, I hate thick sliced lunch meat and I have a kid with sensory issues and its a whole lot easier to get her to eat thin sliced meats then the stuff I can cut and we like meat wraps too which are a lot harder to do when I cut by hand, at least for me they are. So while it may be pointless to you its important to us, everyone has different preferences and needs.

We love our slicer.  It is a commerical grade Fleetwood that my in-laws gave us about 10 years ago.  I'm not sure how much they paid for it, but they found it at a restaurant supply store.  We really enjoy taking a top round, cooking it in the over that medium, refrigerating it overnight and then slicing it.  Really good roast beef.  We've also sliced boneless pork loin.   

Call it a preference for thin sliced meats, I hate thick sliced lunch meat and I have a kid with sensory issues and its a whole lot easier to get her to eat thin sliced meats then the stuff I can cut and we like meat wraps too which are a lot harder to do when I cut by hand, at least for me they are. So while it may be pointless to you its important to us, everyone has different preferences and needs.

We have sensory issues here, too.  I don't have a meat slicer but I find that I can still get pretty thin slices using my cordless electric knife.

I would recommend that you just roast a turkey breast or some chicken leg quarters or breasts, pull the meat apart, and freeze it shredded. I stopped using lunch meats a long time ago and no one missed them. The flavor of the roasted, seasoned meat is so much better. I keep it in quart size freezer bags and cooking just one Saturday or Sunday afternoon per month to get months worth of pulled and shredded meats has been preferable to cleaning and storing a meat slicer. My kids do not miss thin sliced meay. A favorite paleo meal has been shredded chicken mixed with cream cheese wrapped in lettuce. The shredded meat makes cooking a quick meal easy

Oops, I just saw that you have a child with sensory issues. Hmmm...for something fast, Hormel makes a nitrates free deli ham, turkey, and salami. Walmart sells it in the hotdogs, sausages, pepperoni section of their prepared meats. I would be careful with a sliver. I have known people who have gotten sick from their home slicers due to not cleaning them thoroughly...a high pressure sprayer with super hot water is very handy but most residential sinks have piddly sprayers and many homes keep their hot water temps turned down to prevent accidental scalding. So it is something that needs to be considered.

Deli-Style Roast Beef

1 (4 lb.) eye of round roast                                                   1/4 c. creole mustard

5 cloves garlic, halved                                                           2 T. hot sauce

1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce                                                    2 T. prepared horseradish

1 cup burgundy wine                                                             2 t. onion powder

1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce                                                  2 bay leaves

1/4 c. lemon juice

Cut 10 small deep slits in roast; insert garlic.  Place in heavy duty, zip-top plastic bag.  Combine tomato sauce and next 8 ingredients; reserve 1/3 cup.  Pour over roast; seal.  Refrigerate roast and reserved marinade for at least 8 hours.

Remove roast from marinade, discarding marinade.  Place on rack in roasting pan.  Bake at 325 for i hour and 15 minutes to 2 hours for medium,  (Check thermometer.) basting 3 times with reserved marinade.  Immediately wrap in plastic wrap to retain moisture.  Thoroughly chill before slicing.

I prefer my meat a little more done so I roast mine a little longer.  Whatever you like.

I don't know enough about the paleo diet to know if all these ingredients are acceptable.

Deli-Style Roast Beef

1 (4 lb.) eye of round roast                                                   1/4 c. creole mustard

5 cloves garlic, halved                                                           2 T. hot sauce

1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce                                                    2 T. prepared horseradish

1 cup burgundy wine                                                             2 t. onion powder

1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce                                                  2 bay leaves

1/4 c. lemon juice

Cut 10 small deep slits in roast; insert garlic.  Place in heavy duty, zip-top plastic bag.  Combine tomato sauce and next 8 ingredients; reserve 1/3 cup.  Pour over roast; seal.  Refrigerate roast and reserved marinade for at least 8 hours.

Remove roast from marinade, discarding marinade.  Place on rack in roasting pan.  Bake at 325 for i hour and 15 minutes to 2 hours for medium,  (Check thermometer.) basting 3 times with reserved marinade.  Immediately wrap in plastic wrap to retain moisture.  Thoroughly chill before slicing.

I prefer my meat a little more done so I roast mine a little longer.  Whatever you like.

I don't know enough about the paleo diet to know if all these ingredients are acceptable.

I know the wine is out and I haven't found an acceptable worcestershire yet which sucks because I LOVE shredded pork covered in it. Anyway, the main problem for us would be the first ingredient, dd13 is allergic to beef, its the one meat she can not have. Anything from a cow has landed her in the ER a few times when an ingredient was missed:(

Get the best slicer you can afford.  Mine is over 20 years old and still going strong.  I use it to slice meat, but usually I use it more to slice up large quantities of root veggies, like carrots.  I select the thickness I want my carrots and run them through and then freeze them.  Much cheaper when they come on sale in 10 pound bags.