Menu

Anyone doing the VaHomeschoolers Conference?

We're in NC, but I'm thinking of going. I really like the sessions they're offering. I've been debating between that one and the GHC in SC, but I would prefer something without a lot of religious content. And I'm kind of annoyed, because GHC still hasn't posted any descriptions of their workshops. I just wish the VaHomeschoolers wasn't SO much more expensive! :thumbdown:

Anyone going? Been before? Recommend it?

Yes, I had planned to, but when I added it up...ARG.  We're in the wonderful world of expenses for AP/SAT/etc. and dual enrollment on top of another wave of medical bills. Can't swing it right now, no way.

SWB and Jim Weiss are planning one-day workshops later this year, dates TBD.  Maybe by then my budget won't be as tight.

I'm going.  I went two years ago when Julie Bogart spoke as well.  It's a great conference.  Terrible vendor selection, but good sessions.  Secular, which is important to me because I want to hear about education, not religion.  Kid-friendly.  And great speakers again this year.

I know. DH and I could both go to GHC for less than half of what it would cost for me to go to VA alone. The only benefit is that we could probably save some money on lodging, but not enough to make up the difference. I think we could swing it, financially, but I'm a real cheapskate!

Do you know where SWB and Jim Weiss are going to be?

You could maybe go for just one day?  I was trying to convince a friend in Durham to drive up for just the day.  And I'm driving from DC for just the day.  My carpool friend was like, you really want to leave at 6 am.  And I was like, I think we have to.  But better than getting a hotel.

I'm going. I got the chance to see SWB speak last night actually and she was wonderful!!!!! I can't wait to hear some of the other sessions she is going to be doing.

It is expensive, and I'm disappointed that there won't be the vendor selection that they usually have at HEAV, but I am looking forward to getting to learn about education without having to dodge the lifestyle stuff. (we're Christians, but don't fit into the mold of many of the items marketed at some of the other conventions). Plus I pretty much know what we're going to use next year so I'm not really in the market.

I'm only about 2 hours away from there so it isn't a huge commitment and my parents are still in the area so we can stay with them.

I am going, but coming home to spend the night, so it will be a big chunk of driving, but I really liked some of the Fri and Sat sessions. I find it a bit annoying that the gifted session is scheduled against the special needs session (2e, anyone?), but that is certainly not a showstopper for me.

I'm going. I got the chance to see SWB speak last night actually and she was wonderful!!!!! I can't wait to hear some of the other sessions she is going to be doing.

It is expensive, and I'm disappointed that there won't be the vendor selection that they usually have at HEAV, but I am looking forward to getting to learn about education without having to dodge the lifestyle stuff. (we're Christians, but don't fit into the mold of many of the items marketed at some of the other conventions). Plus I pretty much know what we're going to use next year so I'm not really in the market.

I'm only about 2 hours away from there so it isn't a huge commitment and my parents are still in the area so we can stay with them.

This is me, exactly. Which is why I was waiting to see workshop descriptions from GHC; I was trying to figure out how much dodging I'd have to do. I'm still annoyed that they haven't bothered to post them, when at one time their website said they would be posted in January. And I signed up for their "updates" email, which has been nothing more than a weekly sign-up-now! pitch. <_<

I also really would like to hear SWB, and Richmond is a lot closer for me than any of the mini-workshops. DH and I are going to discuss it tonight, but I think this is hands-down the one that fits us best.

Question for those who have been to conferences before: Do you usually get better deals if you buy curriculum there, or is it more a chance to thumb through the books?

It's more a chance to thumb through the books. Though the conference organizer will tell you that they need people to buy - that's how they support holding the conference.

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks for answering! I'm kind of a sucker for books, so I should probably leave my debit card at home...

Talked it over with DH, and we're definitely going if my parents will keep the kids. Hope maybe I'll run into some of y'all there!

I am pretty sure the price has increased?  But maybe i just have a terrible memory.  I live about 20 minutes away and I'm thrilled about the additional friday afternoon sessions.  My husband is belt-testing for martial arts saturday morning, so I'll go to a couple sessions friday afternoon and a couple saturday afternoon.  

But its not particularly good for shopping . . . 

I am seriously considering driving down for the conference. It would be 3.5 hours of a drive so I'd stay over Friday night----and I would miss the Balt and DC am drivetime mess on the way south.

Some of the session topics are very interesting.

Bonus---I could really use the time for myself. I love my family but sometimes I just need to be alone to think :D

I am thinking of attending.  But I would probably just drive there and back on Saturday to save hotel $$.  However--it looks like attending one day of sessions would be the same cost as attending both days?  So it is $93 even if you skip Friday?  That is pricey. However, several of the sessions look very worthwhile to me, and this conference appeals to me far more than the HEAV one. 

I am thinking of attending.  But I would probably just drive there and back on Saturday to save hotel $$.  However--it looks like attending one day of sessions would be the same cost as attending both days?  So it is $93 even if you skip Friday?  That is pricey. However, several of the sessions look very worthwhile to me, and this conference appeals to me far more than the HEAV one. 

It looks like that's correct. The limited option only allows you to attend one session per day. That might not be worth the drive, unless there was one topic you REALLY were interested in. Hope to see you there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Coming in late (waaaay late...) to say that I'll be there too! Not at any of the talks, but in the Exhibit Hall. I'm going to have a table advertising Minds in Focus, my homeschool-focused clinical psychology practice. Please stop by and say hello!

Side note, does anyone here know if they sell the MP3 recordings of the speakers? I'm having trouble deciding which speakers to go see! 

ETA: I've never been to this conference before. Will my nametag have a list of the sessions I signed up for on it? There are several I wanted to attend that don't seem to have any room left.

I dont think they have had recordings available in the past.  I know they will give you something with your schedule - i cant remember if it was on the name tag last year or just on one of the sheets in your packet?  I have a terrible memory!  

PeachyDoodle, if you stare at name tags and notice someone named Karen with a last name kinda similar to my user name ;), please say hello! I'll be all by myself (which is good and bad).

LOL! I will be on the lookout. Maybe I should get a flower for my hair?? :D

Or you can just look for the lady with the semi-reluctant husband/pack mule staring at the NCAA tournament on his phone... oh wait -- do you think there will be more than one of those?

LOL! I will be on the lookout. Maybe I should get a flower for my hair?? :D

Or you can just look for the lady with the semi-reluctant husband/pack mule staring at the NCAA tournament on his phone... oh wait -- do you think there will be more than one of those?

:lol: My dh, not the sports fan, is watching games right now :lol: I told dd that he might be watching more games while I'm away. She was all :eek: :lol:

On the EXTREMELY off chance that any Conference attendees see this tonight ...

Is it possible to attend sessions that appear to be 'full' on the online registration? Or are you 'locked in' to what you have left to select from?

We had some family things come up and so I thought I wasn't going to be able to attend, but it's now looking like I can make it tomorrow.  :)  I would really like to go, I'm just not sure it's worth the 3 hour drive, one-way, if more than half of the sessions will be unavailable. 

Anyone?

Thank you!  Hope you are all having a wonderful time!

Brittany

On the EXTREMELY off chance that any Conference attendees see this tonight ...

Is it possible to attend sessions that appear to be 'full' on the online registration? Or are you 'locked in' to what you have left to select from?

We had some family things come up and so I thought I wasn't going to be able to attend, but it's now looking like I can make it tomorrow.  :)  I would really like to go, I'm just not sure it's worth the 3 hour drive, one-way, if more than half of the sessions will be unavailable. 

Anyone?

Thank you!  Hope you are all having a wonderful time!

Brittany

Maybe this is not okay to say (?) but no one has asked me yet which sessions I'm registered for. Heck, I don't even remember which ones I registered for and wouldn't know if I hadn't happened to have printed out my confirmation email. They didn't give me a list or anything. The sessions I attended this afternoon still had seats (although not tons of open seats in the smaller rooms). I *personally* don't see the big deal. For courtesy's sake, you could wait outside the door until right before the session starts and then take a leftover seat or stand in the back, if it was something that concerned you.

This is my first homeschool conference but I have been very pleased with the content so far. SWB has been, of course, FABULOUS! DH now understands what a classical education is! :D

Brittany, just replied to your pm.

PeachyDoodle, look at the bottom of your name tag. There's a listing in tiny print of the sessions you signed up for----like F1.2, F2.3, etc.

Did you guys go to all of SWB's talks today? I did the keynote and the one about working independently. I went to Julie Bogart's talk on high school academic writing (she is such a good speaker!!).

Tomorrow I'm going to all high school-related sessions-----MOOCs, online options, chem labs, and SWB's getting ready for college.

I am so, so thankful for those who first talked about this conference! I am also thankful for the organizers of this wonderfully secular conference :)

Maybe this is not okay to say (?) but no one has asked me yet which sessions I'm registered for. Heck, I don't even remember which ones I registered for and wouldn't know if I hadn't happened to have printed out my confirmation email. They didn't give me a list or anything. The sessions I attended this afternoon still had seats (although not tons of open seats in the smaller rooms). I *personally* don't see the big deal. For courtesy's sake, you could wait outside the door until right before the session starts and then take a leftover seat or stand in the back, if it was something that concerned you.

This is my first homeschool conference but I have been very pleased with the content so far. SWB has been, of course, FABULOUS! DH now understands what a classical education is! :D

Heck, I don't mind sitting on the floor! :D 

I sent emails to the VAHomeschool Conference Chair and left them a FB message, so hopefully I can hear an official word.  If not, I'll plan on attending the sessions I can get into and wait out the others :) 

Thank you so much for your response!  Glad to hear it's been wonderful! 

Brittany

Brittany, just replied to your pm.

PeachyDoodle, look at the bottom of your name tag. There's a listing in tiny print of the sessions you signed up for----like F1.2, F2.3, etc.

Did you guys go to all of SWB's talks today? I did the keynote and the one about working independently. I went to Julie Bogart's talk on high school academic writing (she is such a good speaker!!).

Tomorrow I'm going to all high school-related sessions-----MOOCs, online options, chem labs, and SWB's getting ready for college.

I am so, so thankful for those who first talked about this conference! I am also thankful for the organizers of this wonderfully secular conference :)

Aha! Well, it's in the car, but I'll take your word for it. That will come in handy. :laugh:  The drive took longer than we planned on, and we were running late, so I just grabbed it and stuck it on!

Is there another post somewhere for followup?  

Sorry I didnt see Whitehawk's post - its not public-transport friendly.  You could maybe take a cab from the train station, its not outlandishly far from there, I dont think.  But its in a very suburban, spread-out area and Richmond's public transportation is almost non-existent.  It used to be held in the science museum, which is inside city limits and on the bus line, but not any more.  

I went to 2 SWB sessions and 3 BW sessions and I LOVED THEM!  Ok, back later to chat more if other ppl are posting

I did 3 sessions with SWB and 2 with Julie Bogart. My favorite overall was still probably SWB's "Joys of Classical Education," even though it wasn't new info for me. It helps to hear it all again and get my head on straight so I can remember why I do what I do.

I wasn't convinced that JB's "Nurturing Your Young Writer" session would be all that helpful for me. I've looked at BW before, and it just didn't seem to suit us. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! She really hit home with her discussion about the very personal nature of original writing and how damaging it can be to critique mistakes instead of valuing content. I know that, as a writer, this is very true for me, but I'd not thought about it much, or considered how it might be true for dd as well. I have seen her love of writing drop off over this year, and that makes me sad. We are definitely going to implement her free-writing ideas starting this week and just encourage dd to put words on paper. She is a natural writer and I don't want to kill her love for it by over-emphasizing mechanics at this point. We do plenty of spelling and grammar elsewhere.

We skipped the first session on Saturday and used that time to shop the used book sale and visit the vendor halls while they were less crowded. Totally worth it. We scored both WWE4 and The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading for half price (although now I am leaning toward incorporating more BW-style elements into our writing program, but I think WWE will still get some use), as well as a whole stack of children's books for $1 or less apiece!

DH went to the partner's panel and the internet/computer security session and got a lot out of them both. I was so glad he was able to come with me. We had some great conversations, and I feel that we are much more in sync. School has been more or less my domain, but after what he's learned this weekend, he's been able to help me with my blind spots and really come up with some solutions for the issues we've had.