Menu

Any parents (or students) taking MOOCs presently?

I'm taking Introduction to Mathematical Thinking, Dr. Keith Devlin, Coursera.  It just started this week.  Sigh...  I'm not doing too well with the 2nd lecture on the language of logic.  I usually get all confused about "or" statements, and that's what is tripping me up this time, too.  

My son is taking an EdX course, Effective Thinking Through Mathematics, with Michael Starbird.  I'm hoping to pick up enough of what that course is doing to compare it to the Coursera class, for the sake of our family and others who are interested.  

What MOOCs are your family members taking?  

Archaeology's Dirty Little Secrets is set to start again in a few weeks. I took it last summer and it was a blast. The staff is active on the forums and makes the class professional yet fun. if you have a child even remotely interested in archaeology, this would be a great addition. It's an 8 week class. I took an Intro to archaeology class at my university last fall and knew a lot of the material already simply because of the Coursera course. 

Archaeology's Dirty Little Secrets is set to start again in a few weeks. I took it last summer and it was a blast. The staff is active on the forums and makes the class professional yet fun. if you have a child even remotely interested in archaeology, this would be a great addition. It's an 8 week class. I took an Intro to archaeology class at my university last fall and knew a lot of the material already simply because of the Coursera course. 

I did that one last time around.  It was great!!!

Ok, my list is going to look fairly psychotic . . . but keep in mind I'm taking these to preview them for possible future use, as well as to learn and/or brush up on topics I'm teaching, so I'm just auditing them.  But here is my current Coursera list:

Introduction to Genetics & Evolution - good

How Things Work -  :001_wub: fantastic! Shannon and I are watching this together and doing the  quizzes.  It's her first online course, though we're doing it buddy style, and she loves it!

Introduction to Physics w/ Lab - just started this one.  It looks very well put together, but is above Shannon's current level for math.  I think I'll watch it to brush up, as I'm teaching physics this year and next year.  A high schooler could do this course.  It includes virtual labs

The Modern World - I actually did this class last year, quizzes and all, but I'm watching it again because I'm teaching Modern.  I like this presenter and his take on the material is thought-provoking

Astrobiology and the search for extra-terrestrial life - Shannon is interested, so I'm previewing/learning.  It's fascinating!

Introduction to Chemistry - I really like this class so far, surprisingly! We might use it for lectures alongside a text and labs when we do chemistry

History of the Slave South - purely for my own interest.  Fascinating.

How to change the world - ditto

Human Evolution - this is a great class, I think I wll have Shannon do it at some point.  It has great material, but I also love how it interviews scientists in the field, asks them how they got started and their advice to students.  It makes science feel like such an adventure!

Imagining Other Earths - again, previewing based on Shannon's interest.  It just started so I don't have a feel for it yet.

I'd love to check out some of the edX offerings, but this is all I can manage right now . . .  :willy_nilly:

I am currently taking Moralities of Everyday Life, which is a Coursera course.  I am enjoying it, but sometimes frustrated finding time for it.

My son WAS signed up for How to Change the World, but he says its the most boring MOOC or lecture he's had and I finally let him drop it.  He had already taken a genetics one and one about Lord of the Rings as an example of literature translated in to a movie and a video game.  He is also taking a self-paced 'college algebra' one.  I'm needing to help him a lot, despite the fact that we did cover this with upper level singapore already

I plan on taking a self-paced database one some time, and wonder if my 10 yo would like the How Things Work one, or not.  He seems to be really liking doing things independently from me, now.  Everything but LA i'm ok with that for now.

Sorry, have not updated my child info. my daughter is 14 years old now. She is only having to put in ~ 1.5 hours - 2 hours per week right now for it. The video lectures take ~ 1 hour and reading through some of the text is extra helpful but has not really been needed yet. The instructor has a great Scottish accent so some of her pronunciations were a bit tricky but my daughter figured it out without me. Really, I think it is a very good quality course!

However, I will be adding into the course when it is done to create a full elective course. I think it is well done and a great intro class. and I teach Equine nutrition. I actually recommended the course to my students who want more info on Equine nutrition. My class is many different species of animals. So some of my college students are using this course now and enjoying it as well!

Coursera: I'm taking Calc I (Ohio State). Technically, this is a "refresher" for me, but it has been so long since I've worked with calculus that it is taking quite a bit of refreshing (lol!) to bring me up-to-date. My older son and I are doing How Things Work (UVA) together. Honestly, we are both finding the How Things Work explanations and quiz questions a little too wordy for our tastes, but we love watching the demos!

Last fall I took UC Irvine's Pre-calc (highly recommended) and UC Boulder's Physics 1 (extremely highly recommended...but not for those looking for a quick physics course...I spent a good bit of time on it working some rather difficult problems...the professor is fantastic).

My son took the Geospatial Revolution class from Penn State last fall. He really, really enjoyed it...got to play with maps! :-)

If only there were more hours in the day...

I took 2 Coursera classes last semester - one on Python through Univ of Toronto and one on e-Learning through UC Irvine. The Python one I think would be very confusing to anyone who didn't already know how to program. I took it to see how they taught the subject - but unfortunately only learned how not to. The e-Learning one was more useful thought the delivery was boring.

On the other hand my 8th grader has been working through Udacity's History of Science and she LOVES it. It also proved useful in Science Bowl last weekend - as a result of what she had learned she even managed to answer a trig question correctly. It is also useful to her in Science Olympiad. She says sometimes she has to rewatch videos if her mind wanders but she really enjoys doing it.

On the other hand my 8th grader has been working through Udacity's History of Science and she LOVES it. It also proved useful in Science Bowl last weekend - as a result of what she had learned she even managed to answer a trig question correctly. It is also useful to her in Science Olympiad. She says sometimes she has to rewatch videos if her mind wanders but she really enjoys doing it.

History of Science sounds interesting for my 8th grader, but I'm not finding it at Udacity.  How to find it?  Would you recommend it for an average 8th grader who may not be intensely interested in science?  

Update on my MOOC:  Once I got over the "OR" hurdle, I've been doing fine.  The prof explains things very well, and the homework problems seem to be doing the trick of teaching me the language of logic (which I have studied, but never mastered).  I knew the course wasn't going to involve a lot of math, but I didn't realize that it was going to be so heavy on logic.  The forums are great, and I'm in a study group--asking and answering questions w/other students is very helpful.   

First course online I've seen that has "in-lecture quizzes."  A great teaching tool that other teaching videos should use.  

History of Science sounds interesting for my 8th grader, but I'm not finding it at Udacity.  How to find it?  Would you recommend it for an average 8th grader who may not be intensely interested in science?  

Sorry I took so long to respond - been a crazy few days. It's https://www.udacity.com/. And no, I wouldn't recommend it for an 8th grader who isn't interested in science. It is a college level class and does have some trigonometry in it (my daughter thought it was cool - I only realized this was in the course when she got a trig question correct in a science bowl). I would never have suggested this course to my oldest daughter who is much more interested in the humanities. But my youngest was bored with Apologia so I thought maybe something more challenging would be better - and she has really liked this class.

Sorry I took so long to respond - been a crazy few days. 

No problem!  I appreciate that you DID respond.  :)

It's https://www.udacity.com/. And no, I wouldn't recommend it for an 8th grader who isn't interested in science. It is a college level class and does have some trigonometry in it (my daughter thought it was cool - I only realized this was in the course when she got a trig question correct in a science bowl). I would never have suggested this course to my oldest daughter who is much more interested in the humanities. But my youngest was bored with Apologia so I thought maybe something more challenging would be better - and she has really liked this class.

Still can't find it at udacity--perhaps because it's already in progress and not open to newcomers?  I'm still a newbie at finding and using MOOCs.

All I can ask is *where* have I been??  I knew of open courseware, but last time I looked it up it wasn't really accessible to an average student.  But zowie!  This stuff is amazing!  I just signed ds up for The Way Things Work class.  He's doing physical science and has been telling me all the cool facts he's learned; this should be a blast for him.  Do you guys taking the class have the text or are you just using the online component?  

All I can ask is *where* have I been??  I knew of open courseware, but last time I looked it up it wasn't really accessible to an average student.  But zowie!  This stuff is amazing!  I just signed ds up for The Way Things Work class.  He's doing physical science and has been telling me all the cool facts he's learned; this should be a blast for him.  Do you guys taking the class have the text or are you just using the online component?  

We have the text.  I have her read the chapter every Friday, then we watch the videos together the following week, and do the quiz.  We also have done most of the Stop Faking It: Foce and Motion book, it's really well correlated with the class and gives her a chance to delve into the topics a little more deeply.

We have the text...bought it used for a low price. My son read the section that corresponded with the first week's lesson, but then has not picked up the text since then. Neither have I. We have found that the professor explains the concepts so thoroughly on the videos that the text is not necessary. ymmv.