Menu

Book about what kids in third world countries eat/live?

I've had it!

My children eat really well.  Really well.  My husband and I love food and cooking.  They have grown quite accustomed to good meals.  My oldest, especially, amazes me with her appetite.  Yet, if something isn't up to her quality standards, she claims she "isn't hungry."

We try to impress a life of service and gratitude, and I just don't feel like it exists at dinnertime.  I came across the Rice and Bean Challenge and I am thinking about instituting it.

My children's knowledge of poverty is limited to the homeless on the street which most likely still get some hot meals from the shelters.  The fact there are families living all over who survive off of rice and beans, or porridge, is completely beyond them.

Anyone have suggestions of books to read along with this adventure???

What the World Eats and Hungry Planet by Peter Menzel are both excellent.

By the way, you can find a lot of Menzel's work online.  Here's a set of his photos from a collection of a week of groceries for families in different countries:

http://www.walltowatch.com/view/28822/A+Week+of+Groceries+in+Different+Countries

Great link, thank you.

I was astonished at all the cool drink (soda?) in the Mexico shot (with all that wonderful fresh food).

Then saw the next few had lots too.

As did the Aussies. 16 litres of cool drinks and only 6 litres of milk. My dd would get through that much milk a week by herself and most of that fruit. This, along with several beasts worth of meat and two cartons (not packets) of cigarettes in that photo, means I will try to judge the other countries' accuracy by my country's.

[ETA: Where is the beer and wine? If they show cigarettes wouldn't they show alcohol?]

Off to look at more on that link.

By the way, my dc do not have to like what they are given but they do have to eat at least 1/2 of what they are served and not to get themselves something else instead.

"You don't have to like it but you do have to eat it."

I just checked out the Breakfasts around the world of that link.

I'll have brekky in the Philippines please.

The Aussie's in the earlier photo should have included a jar of Vegemite in their weekly grocery shot so they would not be scraping an inadequate smear on their toast. (And a jar of instant coffee so the mug wouldn't be empty.)

But at least that is accurate. Forgot to get some; make do.

Unlike the Peruvian breakfast:. Seriously? How many breakfast tables in Peru would ever have that on it?

Pretty interesting link. I thought the placement of products in the photos made some look better or worse than they were... The Aussie one had all the fresh food up the front and the packaged stuff at the back whereas the uk one was the other way round, which made the Aussie one look healthier. Plus lots of the junkier foods were given a prominent place in the American diet.

I am definitely having breakfast in the Philippines too... And Hawaii is looking pretty good.

Yep, definitely depends on how the stuff is arranged. Also, there's not really any such thing as a "typical" family and a "typical" weekly food shop. We don't buy any drinks most weeks, and we wouldn't eat anywhere near as much meat as the Australian family illustrated. Also, for many countries, the food would differ quite a bit in different parts of the country.

I"ll order the Bahamas breakfast please. Mmmm, prawns!

The sugary junk in countries like Mexico is why obesity is no longer a first world problem alone. Cheap starchy, sugary junk is becoming more accessible to the poor, particularly proportionate to healthy foods.

I remember reading an ethnography a few years back, where poor women in Mali, when surveyed, said if they came into some extra money for the week's food, would preferentially substitute more expensive pasta for their usual rice. They would do this rather than buy more vegetables or protein-rich foods.

There's also a photo series out there comparing school lunches around the world.

We try to impress a life of service and gratitude, and I just don't feel like it exists at dinnertime. 

I have a hard time believing being miserly is going to inspire gratitude. In fact, it's a sort of natural tendency in the brain, to come to take for granted what is initially thrilling. 

I have to say "what kids in third world countries" eat is not one thing. Some people are living near starvation on watery cornmeal gruel. Some people are living well on meat, vegetables, fruit, dairy, and various starches. Some people are eating unhealthily on some combination of both, or large amounts of sugars and fats. So for this, eating what is described on that page -- rice and beans, a chicken breast, and frozen vegetables is neither unhealthy or unfilling. It is just boring. And chapatis (recipe given on that site) in Africa are not for poor people. Just saying. If you want your kids to experience starvation, they'd need to eat something that led to horrific malnutrition. And I just don't think that is going to make them feel indebted to you.

I think a better idea to promote service would be perhaps for you to volunteer at a place that gives out meals, provides groceries, distributes them to the elderly, or other type of program that gives to the hungry.

We live and work in community development in Mexico. The poor rely on tortillas and beans. And, yes, to what another poster mentioned...when you have to buy water to drink anyway...it's not much more of a stretch that people drink so much soda. It's killing them...we work with so many people who have amputated limbs due to diabetes, but we have the hardest time changing habits (who doesn't, right?). Anyway, I don't think it's bad for your children to appreciate good food...our friends here do, too. But they also understand they have to eat what they can. We work in one neighborhood where most of the food consumed comes from the dump. Maybe you could watch some documentaries with your kids? I love the book "More with less" too...it's a Mennonite cookbook that has its motivation in living simply out of love for others. Maybe your family could cook through the book together or something? If your kids make the recipes even if simple maybe they would be more inclined to eat it!

Also, the pictures linked to are what maybe middle class families eat ? ...the picture from Mexico does not represent what the "poor" eat...depending on your definition of poor, I suppose.

I have a hard time believing being miserly is going to inspire gratitude. In fact, it's a sort of natural tendency in the brain, to come to take for granted what is initially thrilling.

I have to say "what kids in third world countries" eat is not one thing. Some people are living near starvation on watery cornmeal gruel. Some people are living well on meat, vegetables, fruit, dairy, and various starches. Some people are eating unhealthily on some combination of both, or large amounts of sugars and fats. So for this, eating what is described on that page -- rice and beans, a chicken breast, and frozen vegetables is neither unhealthy or unfilling. It is just boring. And chapatis (recipe given on that site) in Africa are not for poor people. Just saying. If you want your kids to experience starvation, they'd need to eat something that led to horrific malnutrition. And I just don't think that is going to make them feel indebted to you.

I think a better idea to promote service would be perhaps for you to volunteer at a place that gives out meals, provides groceries, distributes them to the elderly, or other type of program that gives to the hungry.

I don't want them to experience starvation. That is not the point. They are growing up in a culture where they think they can snap their fingers and have what they want. We eat a variety of foods and if something isn't exciting enough to them or their taste buds, they refuse to eat.

I just want them to realize how blessed we are in that we have OPTIONS. They don't seem to comprehend that others don't really have a choice in what they eat every.

And we already do all of your other suggestions...

Other thing is with variety we expect kids to eat a lot of different foods. My fussy ds would perfectly happily live on porridge apples and carrots if I let him but we expect him to try all types of foods. When I was a kid most dinners were meat and three veg. Once you learned the basic tastes you were set. My kids have to do mex, Italian, Chinese etc etc

I just want them to realize how blessed we are in that we have OPTIONS. They don't seem to comprehend that others don't really have a choice in what they eat every.

In that case, I think they should help you grocery shop for ingredients and cook the meals. And if they don't like something just because it's too plain or whatever, then just don't eat it. And maybe increase their physical activity so they develop a heartier appetite. I think making a big deal about this is just going to frustrate you more.

I really have a hard time believing that someone who serves food to the homeless or helps at a food pantry cannot comprehend that other people have limited choices. And everyone has some sort of a choice in what they eat every day. There is always the choice to eat or not. I would work on involving them in the realities of hungry people in your community instead of mythologizing the third world child, who uncomplainingly licks their plate clean because they are so hungry and grateful, and involving them much more in planning meals at your house. It would be a better real life application of the skills they will need as adults -- to budget, plan meals, shop, cook, and clean up afterwards -- that might also lead them to realize how much work it is, as well as to help out in a real way and bring you closer as a family, in a way that eating a bowl of beans and rice as an experiment seems unlikely to do.

In that case, I think they should help you grocery shop for ingredients and cook the meals. And if they don't like something just because it's too plain or whatever, then just don't eat it. And maybe increase their physical activity so they develop a heartier appetite. I think making a big deal about this is just going to frustrate you more.

I really have a hard time believing that someone who serves food to the homeless or helps at a food pantry cannot comprehend that other people have limited choices. And everyone has some sort of a choice in what they eat every day. There is always the choice to eat or not. I would work on involving them in the realities of hungry people in your community instead of mythologizing the third world child, who uncomplainingly licks their plate clean because they are so hungry and grateful, and involving them much more in planning meals at your house. It would be a better real life application of the skills they will need as adults -- to budget, plan meals, shop, cook, and clean up afterwards -- that might also lead them to realize how much work it is, as well as to help out in a real way and bring you closer as a family, in a way that eating a bowl of beans and rice as an experiment seems unlikely to do.

And we just differ there...

And we just differ there...

Isn't that the truth. I truly cannot grasp why suggesting your children use a budget, plan meals, grocery shop, and prepare food wouldn't show them precisely what you wanted to: that they are blessed, there are options, and that cooking nutritious, tasty meals is a lot of work. 

Another idea might be change the "You must eat half" rule to "Food complained about is immediately taken away".  Because, really, complaining about food to the cook as unacceptable by anyone over toddler age. 

You might also look into this book, "Cleaning House: A Mom's Twelve-Month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement".  One of the months was on food/cooking.  Each kid was given a day and a budget to shop/cook/serve dinner for the entire family.  One of the things I remember was how hurt the biggest complainers were to hear complaints from their siblings. 

I've been on the other end of the "feed them what poor people eat" experiment, and I will say that unless you are very good at pulling it off, it will not teach your children what you are hoping for.  If you are in any way using it as punishment, that is what they will likely glean from it - not compassion for those less fortunate.

Personally, I was AWARE enough about the plight of poor people, and could have engaged in an experiment of immersing in the conditions they encounter in a particular area (and would likely have meaningfully gained from the experience), but when such an experiment was foisted upon me as an ungrateful spoiled Westerner, I chose to feel like what I was being labeled as, and not to feel like those I was supposed to be emulating.

Also, FWIW, I am a very aware and compassionate person, but was a picky kid when it came to eating.  Your kids aren't a lost cause, even if they seem like it.  They are kids.