Menu

One word, my friends. One word.

Colleen

HuffPo just reported 111.5 million viewers, for a new US broadcast record. AP had this for DD's performance with QL:

"Latifah, dressed sedately in a knee-length blue parka and a white turtleneck, shared her performance equally with the New Jersey Youth Chorus, often swirling her voice together with the singers rather than taking a more forceful lead role. The effect was lovely."

Had friends from Europe visiting over the weekend. Despite their extensive world travels, they'd never seen American football. We took them out to a bar with big screens, greasy wings, beer, the works. We explained the basics of the game, and the teams involved & key players... And then the first play happened, and we had to explain THAT, but they seemed to be having fun anyway so we sat through the whole ordeal.

This morning, they remarked that they'd really enjoyed watching the game and were surprised when all over the news this morning everyone was talking about how terrible it was! :rofl:

Just curious what's with the 12th man thing? I don't follow football at all but I did watch yesterdays game. :)

There are 11 players on the field at a time. Seattle calls the fans their "12th man" as in just as much a part of the team as the 11 players on the field. 

I think you're right, Jeannie - I have heard that Seattle (who in Seattle, I do not know) paid (pays?) some kind of royalty to A&M...

Anne

That's what my husband said tonight, too.  A&M and the 'Hawks came to some sort of agreement. Must've been quite some time ago as Seattle has called their fans the 12th man for years if my memory is correct. 

My oldest sister & her husband live near Seattle. We were visiting them shortly after Russell Wilson was drafted. My BIL didn't know anything about him. We live in WI (he played for the Badgers his final year) and assured him that it was a good thing. ;) So...even though my beloved Packers weren't playing, I had someone to cheer for. :)

Just curious what's with the 12th man thing? I don't follow football at all but I did watch yesterdays game. :)

The Seahawks fans are (I believe) the loudest fans in the NFL.  They cheer so loudly when the opposing team has the ball that the players have a hard time hearing the QB's calls.  They can actually disrupt the opposing team's offense.  Hence the term "12th Man."  When playing at home it is as if they have an extra defensive 'player.'

It is so absurdly loud in the stadium that I don't much enjoy attending the games.  

I have always heard that the 12th man started at Texas A & M

Yes and no.  A&M started using the term way back in the 1920s and eventually trademarked it, but the phrase pre-dates even A&M's usage.

Seattle has called their fans the 12th man for years if my memory is correct. 

Yep.  A lot of people seem to think it's directly related to the noise level at Clink field, but it's been around since the original days in the Kingdome.

Every time I see this thread title I say in my head "Plastics"

Because….?