Menu

Sherlock?

DragonFaerie

BBC does short season, or series as they call it. It isn't unusual for a show to have only 6 or 8 shows a season. I hear long seasons referred to as "US style series" so I guess it might be only in the US that a season has 20 or 22 shows a season. But sometimes they kill me with their short series!

FWIW the Sherlock episodes are 90 mins each and are more like a movie than a television series. The production value is very high.

It was a great ep.  Have you joined the Sherlock group?  If not, please do!  If you haven't seen ep3, you are in for a RIDE!

I have not! I'm trying to hold out for episode 3 and then I'll find you! :D Jeez - season 2 ep 3 about sent me to a padded room. I'm nervous. LOL.

Thanks, y'all.  Is this show kid-friendly?  Finding that much time to watch (because I'd want to start at the beginning with what's on Netflix) without kiddos around is a challenge.

Well - depends on you and your kids.  I watch it with Calvin but not with Hobbes.  The very first episode is extremely creepy and there's a later one with a fair bit of sexual content.

L

The first episode of the second season is not at all kid-friendly IMHO, but whether the other episodes are would depend on the kid. The show has murder, violence, and adult situations, though I think it's tamer than most crime dramas I've seen. I'd be OK with my tween watching with me if she were interested, with the exception of the episode I mentioned. 

My 13 year old loves it (and watched the first 2 seasons a LONG time ago - age 11?), but he's very pragmatic about viewing movies, etc and we've been more lenient with him than I expected. It depends on your standards. It's definitely PG-13, leaning to R in some parts.

The the earlies episodes (seasons 1 and 2) with Benedict Cumberbatch (yum!) and Martin Freeman we watched on Netflix.  Season 3 (this year), I watch on PBS.org that day after it airs. We don't have regular tv or cable, which is why we watch it this way. It is most definitely PG-13/TV14.

I don't agree with a previous poster stating it leans towards "R" in some parts. There are no swear words, there is a bit of blood sometimes (it's a murder mystery show, after all), and there are plenty of innuendos. Honestly, I think it's less offensive than most PG-13 movies out these days!

The the earlies episodes (seasons 1 and 2) with Benedict Cumberbatch (yum!) and Martin Freeman we watched on Netflix.  Season 3 (this year), I watch on PBS.org that day after it airs. We don't have regular tv or cable, which is why we watch it this way. It is most definitely PG-13/TV14.

I don't agree with a previous poster stating it leans towards "R" in some parts. There are no swear words, there is a bit of blood sometimes (it's a murder mystery show, after all), and there are plenty of innuendos. Honestly, I think it's less offensive than most PG-13 movies out these days!

You're right - a bunch of it is innuendo. I'm much less conservative than many, many parents, so I think that makes me rate things worse than they may actually be.

Honestly, my 9 year old snuck in and watched season 3 ep2 with me last week and is intrigued. I didn't see anything really problematic in that particular episode considering she's seen Harry Potter.

Also, you really need to be paying attention to "get" all the plot pieces and how they fit together.

We don't let our 14yo dd watch yet, but I'm thinking about it. We would definitely skip the one episode everyone else has mentioned. 

There are a few curse words here and there, but the bigger language issues I have are the sexual terms, often used to insult other characters or to make a dirty joke. I really wish it wasn't in there, because I know that she would love the show.

When I watched Sherlock for the first time it was on Netflix. I had NO idea what I was getting into, lol. And, by total luck, I saw it only weeks before the second season came out. 

When I rewatched season 1&2 on Netflix in preparation for season 3 (and for something to watch while on the Nordic Track) I noticed a couple of differences in season 1 episodes. There had a been a very few small bits cut out. However, at some point Netflix had replaced those episodes with BBC direct episodes or something. It was some very minor things, a short scene where John gets dumped by a girlfriend who is jealous of Sherlock etc. I didn't notice a difference in any of the season 2, but my memory could be fuzzy. I can assure you it was nothing of consequence. I noticed it, but DH didn't.

I have seen all of the new episodes on the BBC via tunnelbear and now I have seen The Empty Hearse streamed via PBS and I didn't notice any changes at all.