Menu

New dog - need advice - Update

Saraswati

I've had some very unexpected news today, and I could really use some good ideas.

I found out that my great uncle is in Hospice care, and not expected to last the night. Since being taken into the hospital, he has been distraught about his beloved dog. I told my mother to let him know that I would take the dog to ease his mind. He's so relieved now knowing that his pooch will be with us. 

I've never met the dog - all I know so far is that it's a sweet tempered little terrier who is very attached to his owner. He's about 3 years old. His shots have been kept up to date, but he hasn't been neutered. This pooch has lived alone with my uncle, who is in his mid 80's his whole life. So, he's used to a very slow paced, quiet environment. 

My uncle was taken from his house quickly and unexpectedly. The dog was moved to his sister's house and is extremely stressed out. He's at a house that he visits regularly, but everyone is tense, and his master is missing. I will be traveling to Palm Springs to pick him up and bring him back to El Paso with me. This will be his first major car ride. I also have 3 kids and another dog who has anxiety issues. 

So, I'm hoping for some advice to help make his transition easier. The little guy is so stressed out right now, and I'm bringing him into an environment that is completely different that what he's used to. I want to help him get settled and comfortable as quickly as possible, while causing as little transitional stress as possible for both him and the dog we already have. 

Thanks in advance for any ideas! 

**update**

I drove to Palm Springs last weekend to pick up this little guy. His name is Harley, and he looks to be a mix between a Yorkshire Terrier and a Chihuahua. He is a sweet dog, and seems to be doing well with the adjustment. I was able to get a shirt that belonged to my uncle, and I made him a quiet place to retreat. He's not quite ready to trust the kids, but he seems interested in them, and he is not aggressive. I've had them just pretend that he isn't here, and give him a chance to approach them, instead of them approaching him and making him fearful. It seems to be working quite well. Our Shih Tzu seems to have accepted him - that is still shocking to me, because she gets so anxious so easily, but such a relief. He's at the vet today to be neutered - he's in recovery now, and the procedure went well. 

Thank you all for your great advice and sweet words. My uncle passed away early this morning. I'm glad to have had an opportunity to help give him peace of mind, and to have a new family member that seems like he is going to fit in perfectly. I tried to post a picture, but it won't allow me to anymore. I'll try to figure it out. 

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle! It's so kind of you to give him peace of mind and to take in his pup.

We had a similar situation, and had a rough few days of transition - our dog went from a very quiet, slow-paced home to a noisy, homeschooling one. He really needed his own space, not unlike a human might if making the same transition. He hadn't been crated before, but I offered him one in the quietest spot in the house and he took readily to it. We had the dog a few days before acquiring all of his "stuff" and once he had his familiar stuffed pet from his old house, he was able to settle in a bit more. I wonder if you can bring something back from your uncle's - if not something specifically the dog's, maybe something that has your uncle's (or his house's) smell to it?

I have no advice as to the rest, but I know there are people with experience and good advice that will have plenty to offer. :)

and another dog who has anxiety issues ...

First, bless you for giving this poor little dog a new forever home.  

Dog anxiety - I have two schnauzers that suffer from anxiety, but that is mostly when they see other dogs.  Right now with all the craziness of moving to a new home, our dogs were in a tizzy, so I gave them a doggy-downer.  They are nice and calm now and I wish I had thought of it sooner.

Before you get on the road, ask your vet if they would give you a few pills in case the dog has issues while you travel.  It might not hurt to give one to your dog for when you get home and the two of them are learning to be friends, but again, your vet can give you better info.

I wanted to add that our two dogs love each other so much.  Yes, they are litter mates, but they play with each other and sleep with each other.  I hope your two dogs will learn to love each other too.

I am so sorry about your uncle. :grouphug: And I agree...it's so lovely of you to offer to take care of him. :hurray:

I agree with Ripley and was going to suggest similar things...a favorite toy, his dog bed or a bedding situation similar to what he had at your uncle's, a t-shirt or blanket your uncle might have used. Predictable (for him), gentle behavior around him and eat/sleep/exercise routine so he can ease into your lifestyle sooner. A detailed vet visit as soon as you can afford it as well.

I don't have personal experience but have read/ heard that while it can be tempting to show this little guy special treatment, it might lead to pickier behaviors in the long run and therefore, it might be best to treat him gently but as normally as you can. But every pet is different. Wish I had more helpful suggestions.

Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle! It's so kind of you to give him peace of mind and to take in his pup.

We had a similar situation, and had a rough few days of transition - our dog went from a very quiet, slow-paced home to a noisy, homeschooling one. He really needed his own space, not unlike a human might if making the same transition. He hadn't been crated before, but I offered him one in the quietest spot in the house and he took readily to it. We had the dog a few days before acquiring all of his "stuff" and once he had his familiar stuffed pet from his old house, he was able to settle in a bit more. I wonder if you can bring something back from your uncle's - if not something specifically the dog's, maybe something that has your uncle's (or his house's) smell to it?

I have no advice as to the rest, but I know there are people with experience and good advice that will have plenty to offer. :)

This is a great idea - Thank you! I have a large closet in the master bedroom that is a nice quiet place. I'll set up a kennel with a blanket to give him a "peace and quiet" option. My great aunt told me that if she's out of his sight for even a second he starts to whine and panic, so I imagine he'll be very needy for attention - I just don't want the business of the house to overwhelm him. They'll be packing up all of his things to come back with him. I did ask if they could find something that might smell like my uncle, like his pillow case or sweater. That might help. 

First, bless you for giving this poor little dog a new forever home.  

Dog anxiety - I have two schnauzers that suffer from anxiety, but that is mostly when they see other dogs.  Right now with all the craziness of moving to a new home, our dogs were in a tizzy, so I gave them a doggy-downer.  They are nice and calm now and I wish I had thought of it sooner.

Before you get on the road, ask your vet if they would give you a few pills in case the dog has issues while you travel.  It might not hurt to give one to your dog for when you get home and the two of them are learning to be friends, but again, your vet can give you better info.

I wanted to add that our two dogs love each other so much.  Yes, they are litter mates, but they play with each other and sleep with each other.  I hope your two dogs will learn to love each other too.

My pooch is the same - she isn't aggressive toward other dogs, but she definitely doesn't like having them around. I think the pills might be a good idea to have as an option. My dog is going to the vet for her annual check up, so I will inquire. Thanks for the idea! I will be bringing him for a checkup when he gets home - I wonder if it would be best to get him in and get him neutered right away, or give him some time here before I add one more thing to his plate. 

I am so sorry about your uncle. :grouphug: And I agree...it's so lovely of you to offer to take care of him. :hurray:

I agree with Ripley and was going to suggest similar things...a favorite toy, his dog bed or a bedding situation similar to what he had at your uncle's, a t-shirt or blanket your uncle might have used. Predictable (for him), gentle behavior around him and eat/sleep/exercise routine so he can ease into your lifestyle sooner. A detailed vet visit as soon as you can afford it as well.

I don't have personal experience but have read/ heard that while it can be tempting to show this little guy special treatment, it might lead to pickier behaviors in the long run and therefore, it might be best to treat him gently but as normally as you can. But every pet is different. Wish I had more helpful suggestions.

Good luck!

Thank you! 

I agree with the special treatment! That, I'm sure, will cause issues for both him and our Shih Tzu. I'll do my best - poor little guy. I can't wait to meet him. I don't even know his name yet! 

This is a great idea - Thank you! I have a large closet in the master bedroom that is a nice quiet place. I'll set up a kennel with a blanket to give him a "peace and quiet" option. My great aunt told me that if she's out of his sight for even a second he starts to whine and panic, so I imagine he'll be very needy for attention - I just don't want the business of the house to overwhelm him. They'll be packing up all of his things to come back with him. I did ask if they could find something that might smell like my uncle, like his pillow case or sweater. That might help. 

My pooch is the same - she isn't aggressive toward other dogs, but she definitely doesn't like having them around. I think the pills might be a good idea to have as an option. My dog is going to the vet for her annual check up, so I will inquire. Thanks for the idea! I will be bringing him for a checkup when he gets home - I wonder if it would be best to get him in and get him neutered right away, or give him some time here before I add one more thing to his plate. 

I'd get him in right away.  Selfishly, because I'd want to do everything possible to avoid any marking issues.

Good luck!  I think it's a very kind thing you're doing.

Can the dog visit your uncle in hospice?  I've heard of such things and wonder if it might help the dog with his anxiety.

I'm not sure if they were able to bring him in to say goodbye or not. I'll be heading to Palm springs in a couple days to see family and pick up the little guy. We haven't heard anything about Uncle yet this evening, so I will certainly pass it to see if they can work it out. 

Thank you for your suggestion!

I'd get him in right away.  Selfishly, because I'd want to do everything possible to avoid any marking issues.

Good luck!  I think it's a very kind thing you're doing.

Thank you, and everyone else for that matter, for your kind words and suggestions.

dh and I were just talking about this, and figured it would be best to get the surgery over first thing. Then we can just get all of the stressful stuff over all at once. Not to mention your reason, too. I'd certainly like to avoid marking as much as possible. 

Is there a way you can get an item (perhaps clothing or a pillow case) that has your Uncle's scent on it?-- then let the dog sleep with that... it might be comforting.

Our dog's breeder places a small towel or toy that has the mother's scent on it in the crate when they ship puppies, she also gave us a 'scent token' to help settle our pup for the ride home when we picked him up (4 hour car ride).

It is so wonderful of you to do this for your Great Uncle.  The dog has been his family so I am sure it was a balm to his soul knowing his dog was going to a loving home.  The only thing I would add is to see if you can get the dogs vet records so you don't have the uneccessary expense of unneeded vaccinations or unexpected health issues..