Menu

What's the best mercury - free fish oil for kids also, any other ADD supplement recommendations?

Youngest DD is seeing an integrative neurodevelopmental pediatrician who wrote a whole book on natural treatments for ADHD. http://www.amazon.com/ADHD-Without-Drugs-Integrative-Pediatricians/dp/0982671407/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389899874&sr=1-1&keywords=sanford+newmark

That said, none of the suggestions he's made has worked for her hyperactivity. So he has told me that if she's still having symptoms when she's a bit older the next step would be a non-stimulant medication. He's not opposed to using pharmaceuticals but he thinks that they should be a last resort after nutritional strategies have been tried without success.

My ds 10 has ADHD that was significantly impacting all areas of life.  We did try medications on/off over the last three years.  We tried 4 different types of meds all with significant side effects.  So we are again trying the natural route.

Heres the protocol our doctor has us doing:

No screen time/electronics Monday-Friday or school days.

Physical Activity in bursts to help increase focus and get out extra energy.

Gluten Free/Dye Free and minimize processed food

Animal Parade Multi

Animal Parade Kids Greens (basically green veggies)  

Natures Made CoQ10 Gummies.  Natures made is the only company I could find that made this in a gummy and my ds refuses to swallow pills.

Natures Way Primadophilus Kids (Probiotic)

Barleans Omega Swirl Flax oil - Our doc was very specific to get this one as she said kids with adhd need this particular high level of fish oil

As I said these recommendations came from our Doctor for our son & his specific requirements.  In talking to your doctor and/or doing your own research you may find other options that work well.

We've been doing this for about 6 weeks now.  I do see improvement (and I was skeptical)!  We've put in some effort towards dietary changes in the past and felt we didn't see results and frankly it's an adjustment to eat this way.  But it can be done!  For us a big improvement we've noticed is he's not nearly as silly.  It was to the point when any time we asked him a question his answers were just....well unusual and just plan silly.   We really couldn't have a conversation with him that had any substance.  Now he is calmer and can carry conversations with us and others typically without being silly.  

Blessings,

Melissa

ADDitude Magazine had an article awhile ago on 10 natural helps for ADHD, and I kept some notes. I focus on the first 5 (the last 5 can tend to get pricey! plus none of us here do well on Omega 3's other than adding in walnuts and other food sources--but if we did, I'd definitely add in an Omega 3 supplement--tons of literature on that). We do feel better when doing at least that much:

1, protein at every meal

2, Balanced meals:  ½ plate fruit and veg, ¼ protein, ¼ carbohydrate with fiber

3, multi-vitamin & mineral

4, B Vitamins—improves IQ by 16 points for those low in B (Bio-Strath from Vitacost used in many studies)

5, Zinc, Iron, Magnesium.  84% of kids w/ADHD have low iron.  Zinc-inattention.  Magnesium-calming

6, Omega 3’s (Omegabrite, Zone Labs, Nordic Naturals)

7, Picamilon?  Smart Nutrition & 1As.

8, Ginkgo & Ginseng  Hsu’s Ginseng.  Ginkoba & Gingold Most effective

9, Pycnogenol—improvement after 1 month

10, Rodiola Rosea (Strong)

My psychiatrist recommends Nordic Naturals as the lowest-mercury, highest-quality option. (Side note: She once told me that she insists that her own girls take some every single day because the multiple benefits for mood and overall mental health.)

Awesome. Merry, I copied that list. I also put Nordic naturals kids dha strawberry flavor on my list, and I'll be sure to get my dd back on her vitamins for vitamins deficiency. We already do a pretty good natural diet though she herself is not gluten free, it would be very easy to try that since my son is totally GF and all the meals we eat as a family are GF. She tends to have wheat in the morning which is interesting, since she is least focused in the morning. I'll think about that tonight.

Thanks

My ds 10 has ADHD that was significantly impacting all areas of life. We did try medications on/off over the last three years. We tried 4 different types of meds all with significant side effects. So we are again trying the natural route.

Heres the protocol our doctor has us doing:

No screen time/electronics Monday-Friday or school days.

Physical Activity in bursts to help increase focus and get out extra energy.

Gluten Free/Dye Free and minimize processed food

Animal Parade Multi

Animal Parade Kids Greens (basically green veggies)

Natures Made CoQ10 Gummies. Natures made is the only company I could find that made this in a gummy and my ds refuses to swallow pills.

Natures Way Primadophilus Kids (Probiotic)

Barleans Omega Swirl Flax oil - Our doc was very specific to get this one as she said kids with adhd need this particular high level of fish oil

As I said these recommendations came from our Doctor for our son & his specific requirements. In talking to your doctor and/or doing your own research you may find other options that work well.

We've been doing this for about 6 weeks now. I do see improvement (and I was skeptical)! We've put in some effort towards dietary changes in the past and felt we didn't see results and frankly it's an adjustment to eat this way. But it can be done! For us a big improvement we've noticed is he's not nearly as silly. It was to the point when any time we asked him a question his answers were just....well unusual and just plan silly. We really couldn't have a conversation with him that had any substance. Now he is calmer and can carry conversations with us and others typically without being silly.

Blessings,

Melissa

Just curious about the Barleans Omega Swirl Flax--we are vegetarian and I have recently started my daughter on this...our pediatric nutritionist says that it can't hurt, but as this product is plant-based (no fish oils) it has only ALA. ALA can be converted by the body to DHA and EPA (the Omega-3s in fish oil) but not efficiently.

Did she give you any more specific information, if you don't mind my asking?

ADDitude Magazine had an article awhile ago on 10 natural helps for ADHD, and I kept some notes. I focus on the first 5 (the last 5 can tend to get pricey! plus none of us here do well on Omega 3's other than adding in walnuts and other food sources--but if we did, I'd definitely add in an Omega 3 supplement--tons of literature on that). We do feel better when doing at least that much:

1, protein at every meal

2, Balanced meals:  ½ plate fruit and veg, ¼ protein, ¼ carbohydrate with fiber

3, multi-vitamin & mineral

4, B Vitamins—improves IQ by 16 points for those low in B (Bio-Strath from Vitacost used in many studies)

5, Zinc, Iron, Magnesium.  84% of kids w/ADHD have low iron.  Zinc-inattention.  Magnesium-calming

6, Omega 3’s (Omegabrite, Zone Labs, Nordic Naturals)

7, Picamilon?  Smart Nutrition & 1As.

8, Ginkgo & Ginseng  Hsu’s Ginseng.  Ginkoba & Gingold Most effective

9, Pycnogenol—improvement after 1 month

10, Rodiola Rosea (Strong)

Great list.

So far we have been doing 1-6, and 9. We also use Nordic Naturals brand fish oil. We first used liquid fish oil (proEFA) and now we switch to gels. We use adult verison Nordic Naturals EPA (EPA/DHA ratio is 4/1) for my 8yo. He has no problem to sawllow adult verison gels. He first bites through gel cap and then swallow it one by one. He takes 2 gels with breakfast.

We use Nordic Naturals here too.  My 3.5 year old takes Nordic Naturals Pro EFA Junior and just chews up the soft gels, he'll also just chew up the adult version of it that I take if he is out.  After I saw the difference it made for him I started my 5 year old DD2 on them also.  My older two children and I take the adult version when I can remember, they have no problems swallowing the capsules even though they are large.