Menu

Is there anything at all I can do? (Hearing related)

Hunter's Moon

Everytime I get my hearing tested I am told it is perfect. However, I have chronic sinusitis that causes blocked Eustachian tubes in my ears. I have to constantly ask for clarification when someone speaks. I have to read lips to catch a lot of stuff.

I am already on Flonase and Zyrtec. My ENT says there is nothing else that can be done - I just have to acknowledge that I cannot hear well and read lips and focus entirely on that person.

Any thoughts?

I have chronic sinusitis too. I also have mild hearing loss due to having tubes in my ears more than once as a child. I can hear the sound, but I can't make out what the person is saying. If a person isn't looking at me for me to match up the lips to the sounds, I have to ask for them to repeat it. The radio can be on low, and I can make out the music but not the words. My DH can't understand how I can HEAR the sound, but not make out WHAT the words are saying. Maybe you can relate?

I started wearing hearing aids. I went to the audiologist and they tried to sell me $4,000 hearing aids. I found a set at Sams for less than $750. They are small and don't give me the plugged up feeling when wearing them. They really do make a difference in what I can hear.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/hearing-aids/1710103.cp

If the problem is caused by blocked tubes I don't think hearing aids will help. I know when my son got his he had to see the ent to make sure the problem wasn't a blockage or other medical condition causing the loss.

I would get a second opinion from an ENT. An audiologist will tell you if you can hear or not and will send you to the ENT. An audiologist can help you cope but the ENT is who can fix the problem. If the ENT isn't helpful you can try to see an autolaringologist. They specialized in just ears. Our gal is fabulous, but it takes months to get an appointment, even as an established patient.

I want to second the previous post on dairy products.  Since I have cut them out of my diet,  most of my lifelong sinus problems have pretty much disappeared. I think it might be worth a try and it may take a while to notice a difference for some people.  I certainly do not want to minimize your hearing problems but just wanted to share what I have learned.

Due to my insurance, I am not sure that getting a second opinion from another ENT is possible or at all easy. 

I think I will try cutting dairy first before I explore any further with an audiologist or ENT. Hopefully that will be a fix for the issue, but if not, I will bring up tubes to the ENT. 

I appreciate the responses!