Menu

Liberty Kids, Magic Schoolbus, and what else?

simplemom

My children got the complete Liberty Kids DVDs for Christmas. I'm thinking about getting them The Complete Magic Schoolbus DVD collection. What other CD or DVD series are there for younger elementary aged that are educational and fun? They watch Wild Kratts and are learning a lot about animals from that.

Bill Nye the Science Guy?  Myth Busters?  When they are older, maybe Young Indiana Jones....?  My son got into American History research by watching American Pickers (I had to read the subtext side stuff to him) and both kids started appreciating and using their belongings more, and working harder on re-tasking and recycling instead of seeing everything as disposable after watching that show...

If anything else comes to mind, I will pass it along...

My kids enjoyed Zula Patrol (about space and earth science). (As an aside, my local planetarium apparently occasionally shows episodes there. I can see that that might be fun.) Also thanks to FarrarWilliams's blog post, I bought a copy of The Mysterious Cities of Goldbut we haven't watched it yet. I occasionally place a large-ish order of DVDs from Amazon UK; my last included Around the World with Willy Fog and The Complete Adventures of Dogtanian.

I wish it were easier to see Wishbone -- they were kind of fun, as I remember from my youth. They do seem to be on YouTube.

I find Sid the Science Kid a bit overwhelming, but it's not bad. And I like his multi-colored/multi-ethnic family.

Yes!  Keep an eye on Amazon and sometimes Target - we got the entire series (I think 5 discs?) for about $7.

I did, too. But the stuff put out by Mill Creek/Cookie Jar is all *really* cheap! 

My kids learned a lot from Busytown when they were small; I think it contains a lot of cultural references. But it's kind of young. They have a ton of discs for about $6. Here's one and here's another. That covers all the episodes.

• 4 weeks later...

My kids are HUGE Popular Mechanics for Kids fans.. even the not quite 2 year old who brings them to me and says.. "Kids?"  It's so darn cute.

They also love Mythbusters, American Pickers(although I pre-watch for content and language due to the littles), Animated Hero Classics, Carmen Sandiego, Wishbone, etc.