Menu

VP Cards: what corner do you hole punch them? nt

If you're going to punch them, by all means get a good quality hole punch, not one of the handheld jobs that will leave you sore! I got a really snazzy two-hole punch at the office supply store for about $10 and it's the perfect size to double-punch your laminated VP cards. It punches through mine very smoothly and easily, no pain at all. I use it for other things too, like punching the sides of little books you sew up with yarn, etc. So it's not like it's a single-use purchase. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for cool office supplies. :)

BTW, I do think the idea of punching them at the bottom is reasonable. Mine so far I've punched at the top, and it is indeed a pain to flip them while singing. The binders would be fine too, though I like them laminated because it makes them last while I'm tossing them around doing my year's planning.

I've been thinking about doing this, too. Would you be willing to share how much it was?

Staples sells the notebook ~ $6.00-$7.00 and the refill packs (25 each but you can put the cards back to back) ~$5.62. If you do all 160 history cards, you will need two notebooks and 4 refill packs (if you put the cards back to back).

Thanks! That's a lot cheaper than laminating and hole-punching them!!

Here, at our teacher store, it is actually cheaper to laminate the cards (less than $8.00 for all 160 cards) including buying the 39 cent ring. But, then you have to trim the lamination and hole punch. I have a xyron, but I don't bother to use it anymore since the cost of laminating at the store is only a fraction of the refill cost of the xyron. :) But, the notebook and sheet protectors look so much better (and less chance of the cards getting bent or mis-used).

ETA: Just wanted to add my experience with the vp cards. I have two sets of vp cards, one laminated on rings (double hole-punched at the bottom) and the other in page protectors with notebooks. I prefer the notebooks.

Thanks for the replies. We used the cards last year, but not protected. I was fairly anal about the kids touching them because I didn't want them messed up. :glare: We will be using the cards again this year, so I've had them laminated so I don't have to be so uptight.

I'll look into have a hole in each bottom corner.

I've had ours laminated. We've used ours for 2 years so far and they are holding up just fine. I haven't hole punched them ... but I keep thinking about it. I like the idea of placing the holes on the bottom, since we like to flip thru them. So far I just keep them in groups with a rubber band (we do them in groups of 8)... okay I do keep a piece of paper with that group's titles in order so I can easily check ;). I like the idea of the book but it wouldn't work for us. I like to dump them and give them to the kids to put in order. :D

ended up buying the notebooks and page protectors. You have no idea how much time I studied this to try to figure out which method I would prefer. It was our first year homeschooling and everything was a big decision! I decided on the laminator/hole punch method (even bought a laminator) but ultimately I found that my son never got that "chronological" feel since we used them on a ring and #1 was never on top as he would flip through them. I like the notebook and page protectors SOOOO much better. My mind seems to "think" better in that order and method.

I was too wimpy to hole-punch mine. I spent the $ to get 5x8 page protectors and put them in a 5x8 binder.

I had a set of cards that I punched years ago, and it was rather frustrating. This time around we used small binders/page protectors, and I'm very happy. Also though, I would *not* put the cards back-to-back. The backs of the cards are at least as important as the fronts! I want my kids to be able to read the backs easily any time they're going back through the cards, and the page references for books we own are terribly useful too. Yes, it cost a little more. But the cards are a long-term resource for us...

keepfiling.com for $9.68 and free shipping for orders over $30. I haven't ordered from them yet, but definitely plan to in the next few days. I received this recommendation from someone who raved about their service and prices.

It's the 51/2 X 81/2 size we need right?

Do you know where to find a notebook this size - reasonably priced? (Binder)

I am in a very rural area -no Office Max or Staples...Do stores like Walmart or CVS carry this size??? or on line???

TIA:)