Menu

Dr. Hive - Flu and staying hydrated (when should I worry?)

Joker

Oldest, 13, has the flu. She is doing nothing but sleep. I have to wake her to drink and take medicine. She was up for about three hours total yesterday and I was even able to get her to eat soup. I had to ask her to go the bathroom last night at 11pm. She hasn't gone since until I asked her to try just now, at 1:30pm, when I woke her for medicine. She said she was able to go a little.

She is on Tamiflu and needs Motrin every so often for her fever so she is drinking water every time I wake her. She is one that when she is sick she only likes water. I did get some Gatorade in her last night when I was able to get her to eat. She just saw the doctor yesterday and he said her lungs were good.

Do I need to wake her more often to drink or do I let her sleep? Is there some other liquid or method I should try? Are the signs to watch for before I should worry?

I would carefully watch her. Will she sip on the juice from peaches in heavy syrup? A popsicle? Jello? any broth? 7-up? I would be waking her at least every hour or so and getting some fluids in her. Is he vomiting or having loose stools or just sick and not drinking?

She's mostly just sick and sleeping. She did have loose stools yesterday for a short period when she was awake. She just feels really bad and only wants to sleep. I'm going to try waking her more often and see if I can get her to drink.

What is it I should watch for? I also have a call in to the doctor but have no idea when I will hear from him.

I know with younger kids it is sunken eyes, dry mouth, eyes, etc., very dark urine, skin that doesn't "bounce back" after you pinch it. Sometimes just a bag of IV fluids can make a huge turn around for a sick child. If you doctor's office can do that it would be great but most would send you to ER for that.

Thanks, Ottakee!

My doctor's nurse called and was no help at all. She just said several times to push fluids and that dd is old enough to understand that she needs to drink. She didn't seem to comprehend that my girl is sicker than she's ever been (she has never slept like this when ill) and not quite herself.

I had to give dd more Motrin and while I had her up she drank some water to take the pills and then I was able to get a few ounces of Gatorade in her. She's already back asleep and I'll rouse her in about an hour to get her to drink more. She is nauseous so it's becoming difficult.

Thanks, Ottakee!

My doctor's nurse called and was no help at all. She just said several times to push fluids and that dd is old enough to understand that she needs to drink. She didn't seem to comprehend that my girl is sicker than she's ever been (she has never slept like this when ill) and not quite herself.

I had to give dd more Motrin and while I had her up she drank some water to take the pills and then I was able to get a few ounces of Gatorade in her. She's already back asleep and I'll rouse her in about an hour to get her to drink more. She is nauseous so it's becoming difficult.

I would take her to an urgent care and say you'd like her to have a bag of IV fluids. Say she is too sick and weak to drink enough and you're seeing a vicious cycle.

As one suffering from the worst flu I've ever had, I can sympathize with not wanting fluids or food. It hurts to swallow. Nonetheless, I would wake your DD every hour /45 min. and try to get some fluids into her. Some ideas: Lemonade and 7-up, tea, warm broth. A few spoonfuls is better than nothing. Other than dehydration, be on the alert for secondary infections.

She actually perked up a few hours ago and drank a whole cup of soda. She usually doesn't drink any soda but I thought I'd try. Then, she was able to eat a bit. She stayed up for about three hours straight which was the longest since she became ill. She had a burst of energy last night as well, though. I'm hoping this one is actually a turning point and she will feel better tomorrow. 

Thanks so much for asking!!

7-up was actually developed to used in the hospital for people who were sick with the flu, stomach upset, etc. My grandmother's neighbor helped to "invent" it. I know that pop isn't ideal but when they are sick, any fluids are good (well, I wouldn't do diet with artificial stuff).

Glad she is doing better.

My dd had the H1N1 years ago and mercifully was given Tamiflu.  I'm sure she would've had to be admitted to the hospital, otherwise.  She did not get out of bed and didn't want to eat/drink, plus her fever didn't go below 104 even with alternating between Motrin and Tylenol every 2 hours!!!  Plus her respiratory system was in crisis mode.  It was an amazing transformation once she started on the Tamiflu.  I seem to recall, though, that a side effect of this medicine might be nausea, among other things.  You might want to check these out while monitoring your dc.  I know we ended up stopping the Tamiflu a couple of days early and she still recovered beautifully because Tamiflu works to stop the flu virus from progressing any farther (which is why it must be started within 2 days of getting the flu).  I am hoping and praying that your dd is increasing in strength now day by day!

Blessings,

Brenda

Thanks, everyone. Her fever has stayed low through the night and this morning, so that's good. She's drinking more as well. She still really hasn't ventured out if bed though.

I can see why since I woke up with it this morning.

I'm glad she's on the mend, but am so sorry you seem to have caught it.

Can you take Tamiflu for it?