Menu

Normal? Irregular cycles and young girls (TMI)

Mom0012

My dd had her first period this summer. Things seemed fairly typical until October. In October, she had spotting once a week for three weeks, then a sudden gush of bleeding that left her soaked. That period lasted for over a week. She had spotting for a day one week later. A week after that, she had another period for a week. Now, a little over a week later, she has started her period again.

I know things can be irregular at first, but I have never heard of things happening this way. I'm going to be taking her for a physical in January, but it would be nice to know that this is typical for some girls.

What does "left her soaked" mean? Did she have a pad or tampon?

No pad or anything because she just suddenly got her period. The seat and legs of her jeans were soaked through. She was waiting for me to pick her up from a piano lesson. Then her flow was normal. I did call the ped that day because it was pretty alarming, but she assured me that it was okay as long as it didn't continue at a heavy rate, and it didn't. She had a normal flow for a little over a week.

I'm more concerned about the frequency at this point because she hasn't had a "sudden" period since that time.

Dd had fairly normal periods right from the start. Although not necessarily at 28 day intervals, they were in that region, and the interval has always been longer rather than shorter. I wouldn't assume a major problem, but if it were my daughter I would take her to a women's health clinic for a chat and / or check up.

Dd18 had two periods close together (like 10 days break from bleeding)----the doctor said that it was common in the first year or two. But when it happened again within six months, dd had several tests done, including an ultrasound, to rule out anything funky.

Her cycle became quite regular within that next year.

Not an emergency since you plan a physical in January, but she needs to be checked for anemia at that time.  It is pretty common to be very irregular, but having it so much can wear them down physically. Opinions vary, but a supplement with iron might be in order.

Some doctors will do a very low-dose progesterone pill during the second half of the cycle to stretch it out a bit if the frequency is a problem.

Dd had fairly normal periods right from the start. Although not necessarily at 28 day intervals, they were in that region, and the interval has always been longer rather than shorter. I wouldn't assume a major problem, but if it were my daughter I would take her to a women's health clinic for a chat and / or check up.

Honestly, this is the way I am leaning. I have a family member that insists that it is completely normal to have irregular cycles at first like this. I agree about things not being like clockwork or skipping cycles being normal at first, but I've never heard of anyone having so many cycles/spotting so close together. Frankly, I was hoping to hear this is pretty common.

Dd18 had two periods close together (like 10 days break from bleeding)----the doctor said that it was common in the first year or two. But when it happened again within six months, dd had several tests done, including an ultrasound, to rule out anything funky.

Her cycle became quite regular within that next year.

Not an emergency since you plan a physical in January, but she needs to be checked for anemia at that time.  It is pretty common to be very irregular, but having it so much can wear them down physically. Opinions vary, but a supplement with iron might be in order.

Some doctors will do a very low-dose progesterone pill during the second half of the cycle to stretch it out a bit if the frequency is a problem.

Thanks. So would you just start with the pediatrician?

Look for a GYN that specializes in teen girls. She'll need an exam to rule out anything weird, and then she give you some ideas for what to do to help regulate her cycles. The low-dose pill is usually what they recommend for teen girls, and it really does work.

Thanks, Diane.

I had extremely irregular periods until I had ablation at 30yo.  From the day I started to the day I stopped (minus pg time of course) I never knew day to day what I was going to deal with.  

DD15 started off the same way. Very erratic, no pattern at all and excessive bleeding. :0(  I let it go for a year and then her pediatrician put her on the pill to help regulate her.  When she is 16 (or if she become sexually active) she will go in for a full exam.  He did do blood work to rule out some issues and found her fit and healthy.

With my history and her age at the time (barely 14) her pediatrician felt it was safe to start her on the pill with out a gyno exam. 

In my family, unfortunately we all have irregular cycles and no medical cause has ever been found for it, so to me it is common.  My gyno says it is likely a genetically based pituitary glad issue since we all have similar issues, but no one knows for certain.  We just all go on the pill and stay on it unless we want to get pregnant.  Once off the pill, we all conceive easily so at least that isn't a problem for us.  

Mine goes to a female who is very involved in women's health issues for young women, so we started there.  And 10 days of progesterone during the second half of her cycle has worked just fine.  She doesn't like to start them on full birth control pills unless that is truly needed.  If the progesterone hadn't helped, the doctor said we'd need to go to a gynecologist who works with teens.  

I had extremely irregular periods until I had ablation at 30yo. From the day I started to the day I stopped (minus pg time of course) I never knew day to day what I was going to deal with.

DD15 started off the same way. Very erratic, no pattern at all and excessive bleeding. :0( I let it go for a year and then her pediatrician put her on the pill to help regulate her. When she is 16 (or if she become sexually active) she will go in for a full exam. He did do blood work to rule out some issues and found her fit and healthy.

With my history and her age at the time (barely 14) her pediatrician felt it was safe to start her on the pill with out a gyno exam.

In my family, unfortunately we all have irregular cycles and no medical cause has ever been found for it, so to me it is common. My gyno says it is likely a genetically based pituitary glad issue since we all have similar issues, but no one knows for certain. We just all go on the pill and stay on it unless we want to get pregnant. Once off the pill, we all conceive easily so at least that isn't a problem for us.

Sorry to hear you and your dd have had to deal with this.

Mine have never been regular. Yes the pill helped, but I couldn't take the pill (too many very negative side affects for me). That certainly is a good option for some people though.

Yes, the idea of her going on the pill upsets me because I was never able to tolerate even the mini pill myself. I have always been very regular and never had these types of issues, though.

I had issues like that and they were related to an unperforated hymen. I ended up having surgery when I was about 19. You can PM me for more info if you want.

Okay, I just said to my husband that I wondered if something like this (an obstruction) could be the cause. PMing you.

Dd went to our female family practitioner.

Dd's cycles became more regular but debilitatingly painful. Her cramps started a week before and then she'd be nauseous during her periods. Four months ago she started on the pill, and the cramps have decreased and the nausea has disappeared.